Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I decided to take my car to the supplying dealer for its first service - 12 months - 1724 miles.
I know you can use any garage but my dealer had been good so far, so I was happy to pay their 'list price'.
The service was done today. All you would expect - I have a printed list of what they do for the 1.05 hrs they can charge. I asked that they didn't wash the car. The service while I waited was very good - tested 500 Abarths in various performance levels.

What have I got? Oil filter and oil change. Standard 'check on all main safety items and major components'. White gease on all door hinges, linkages etc - all will have to come off soon! But I do have a stamp to show it has been to the main dealer within 8K miles or 12 months.
What did it cost? Total £156. Labour £79 Parts ( oil & filter £51.66) plus VAT £26.13.
Was it worth it? To me - yes - a dealer stamp if anything goes wrong.
Next year? I have a print of the worksheet which shows 1.9 hrs labour plus new brake fluid and air filter if required in addition to the 1 year service items - so about £290.
Will I do it next year? Not sure. Very low mileage, pampered car, and I can do all the work. Also I am about to add some bits!!
Danny

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, I decided to take my car to the supplying dealer for its first service - 12 months - 1724 miles.
I know you can use any garage but my dealer had been good so far, so I was happy to pay their 'list price'.
The service was done today. All you would expect - I have a printed list of what they do for the 1.05 hrs they can charge. I asked that they didn't wash the car. The service while I waited was very good - tested 500 Abarths in various performance levels.

What have I got? Oil filter and oil change. Standard 'check on all main safety items and major components'. White gease on all door hinges, linkages etc - all will have to come off soon! But I do have a stamp to show it has been to the main dealer within 8K miles or 12 months.
What did it cost? Total £156. Labour £79 Parts ( oil & filter £51.66) plus VAT £26.13.
Was it worth it? To me - yes - a dealer stamp if anything goes wrong.
Next year? I have a print of the worksheet which shows 1.9 hrs labour plus new brake fluid and air filter if required in addition to the 1 year service items - so about £290.
Will I do it next year? Not sure. Very low mileage, pampered car, and I can do all the work. Also I am about to add some bits!!
Danny

I bought my Lusso this time last year. My supplying dealer recently sent me an automated reminder email, which stated “your vehicle is now due the scheduled service in line with Fiat requirements”. I was underwhelmed when I phoned them on 3 occasions last week, only to be told the service personnel were with customers (not convinced – turned out the rest of the department were on holiday). So I dropped-by today to query three points:

Firstly, is this first service a warranty requirement? The answer is yes, by date (12 months from purchase, with one month leeway),or mileage (9,000) whichever comes first. As my car has only covered some 2,700 gentle miles I stated it seemed illogical to change the oil (aka a moneymaker for them), however I have a couple of warranty issues I want them to look at, so agreed to book the service.

Secondly, can I get it serviced next week ? No chance, the earliest they can do is in more than a month’s time on 6th October, again none too impressed.

Thirdly, how long will it take, and can I have a courtesy car ? About 2-1/2 hours apparently (not including the warranty items), and yes a car would be available. BUT -- here in the UK a driving licence isn’t sufficient, an online code must be generated from our DVLA (equivalent to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the U.S.) which shows the hirers of cars what endorsements if any are on the driver’s licence – but be warned it requires three forms of ID and the code is only valid for 21 days then start over.

So on balance, a real pain in the rear end, and I am seeking further opinions on the necessity of all this for the “Fiat requirements”. :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lordofthewings,
I had to book my car in Aug for a September slot. Your dealer, the same as mine, confirmed that it is a warranty requirement - 9k miles or 12 months BUT it only takes 1.05 hrs. This is on the official Fiat scheduled service check list form for the service, where your dealer get 2 to 2.5 from is a finger in the air. Mine took 2 hours in total from when I arrived to when I left, but charged for 1.05hrs - not worth getting a courtesy car. When my Volvo went for a big service last Jan, the 'system' was more complex than usual, ie checks etc, but the dealer got it all sorted with a phone call and I was on my way with a courtesy car within 10 mins - I cannot fault the customer service from the Volvo or Fiat dealers I use.
I can send you a reference / copy of the form if it helps.
Danny

·
Registered
872 Posts
lordofthewings and Newod:

Having lived in the UK for a major part of my life, and married a Lancashire lass, and visiting every summer for the last six years, I can tell you, you guys do things a little differently than we do.

You have a great reverence and respect for rules and regulations, and a great deference for those who administer them. An admirable trait, and worthy of respect. However, we Yanks tend to be a little more questioning, if at times somewhat rebellious (ring a bell)? We often refuse to take things for granted, and may go to extremes to prove a point!!

I think you are being taken advantage of by these dealers and the amount they are charging for what is basically just an oil change. The reason they keep the car longer than required is to justify their charges.

Here in the US it is illegal for any dealer to require dealer services to keep a warranty in effect. Heck, it's even illegal for them to dictate the use of OEM parts. You are free to have your car serviced anywhere, or even do it yourself as long as you keep receipts to prove the work was done, or that you purchased the required parts at the proper service interval.

And having to wait a month for a measly oil change is utter nonsense. I do not intend any disrespect with these comments, just offering a different perspective.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Is a dealer service really required to retain warranty in the UK? The manual packet should have a warranty supplement, which outlines warrant requirements. Sounds a bit harsh, but then a crack in your number plate and the car fails an MOT test, so wouldn't surprise me...

Simply, I wouldn't trust the dealer to tell you that you are required to buy something from them. I'd check an independent source for automobile warranty requirements. As hefbadr says, us 'mericans and to be a questioning sort when it comes to these things (I used to be a non-'merican so can attest to the similarities and differences from each side of the pond).

Of course, for a lot of people, it's no big deal; just get it done and move on with life.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
...As my car has only covered some 2,700 gentle miles I stated it seemed illogical to change the oil...
Oil life is time limited as well as millage limited. With your car doing relatively few miles, there's the potential for moisture to have built up while it's been sitting - changing out the oil for that reason alone is a good idea.

Reactions: Newod

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is a dealer service really required to retain warranty in the UK?
Legally no under EU regulation. But you are opening up a can of worms if not followed. This is a quote from AutoExpress June 2012, and I believe that the rules are still the same:

"European Block Exemption rules mean manufacturers can’t invalidate your guarantee for not using a franchised dealer – as long as the garage follows the maker’s service schedule and uses original equipment parts.

However, everything must be documented for proof – even down to the grade of oil which was used. That’s because if something goes wrong with your car, the manufacturer may claim the fault is down to a below-par service – and you need to be able to prove that’s not the case, or pay a bill of thousands of pounds
."

This is from the Honest John column in the Daily Telegraph from 2009. Again I think the sentiments are still valid:

"There are three other potential pitfallls for owners who service outside the franchises during the warranty period.

An ordinary garage may not have the electronic equipment or software to carry out electronic parts of the service via the OBDII port, and may not even be able to reset the service indicator.
[Probably not an issue for us, given the information on this forum]

An ordinary garage will not be aware of 'Technical Service Bulletins' issued by manufacturers to franchised dealers to carry out updates on the car during the course of a service.
[Valid point]

And a manufacturer will not be as sympathetic towards providing 'goodwill' once a car is out of warranty if it has not been serviced by its franchised dealers.
[Possibly valid point]

Finally, independent servicing greatly reduces the part-exchange value of a car for the first 5 years or so. Many franchised dealers (particularly Audi) dealers will not buy in stock that has not been Audi maintained throughout its life."
[Probably true. My Jaguar XK8, which I sold before buying the Fiat, had full Jaguar service history from new and the dealer who bought it from me enthused (in his sales pitch to the new buyers) over that record]

For me (having just bought a new 124 Spider), I will be using the Fiat franchised dealer for the services next year and the year after, which will cover my three year warranty, then I will switch to my local independent who looks after my business vehicles, as then it does not matter.

Also, in the UK, the MOT on a new car only kicks in after three years, so that corresponds with the end of the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe the right way is depending upon personal knowledge, experience and ability.

Since buying my fiat 124 spider new last October I have changed the oil and oil filter myself every 4 months. Next month I will do the same again, along with an air filter. I will continue to use the manufacturers interval service information as a guide but make more frequent replacements. Currently it is my intention to keep the vehicle a total of 5 years.

Some years ago, after 15 years of home servicing i decided that in future i would get all future servicing done by the main dealers. The first time this happened i checked. Whilst they had charged me for the work they had not changed the oil filter, air filter or, spark plugs. Lesson learned. Reverted back to servicing my own vehicles. About 2 years ago a friend of mine had exactly the same experience when he toom his porsche boxster to a main dealer.

Some times it's good to learn from the experience of others. I often read of problems experienced by those as a result of after Market modifications. Consequently, I prefer to keep my vehicles standard, ensuring that the vehicle I choose is fit for purpose.

·
Registered
91 Posts
12-month service in the U.K.

Hi Lordofthewings,
I had to book my car in Aug for a September slot. Your dealer, the same as mine, confirmed that it is a warranty requirement - 9k miles or 12 months BUT it only takes 1.05 hrs......
Danny

To all U.K. Spider owners: I can now confirm I am extremely pleased with the First Service experience today. It took a while because there was also a possible warranty issue, it's my OCD tendencies kicking-in, as I had found what I had taken to be a drop of oil on the [painted] garage floor and thought it could from a leaking shock absorber. Anyhow that was a false alarm, and impressively they sent me a video of the Vehicle Health Check. The dealer also loaned me a brand new courtesy car, a splendid little Fiat 500 (1.2 litre "Mirror" edition), which was an absolute delight to drive and showed 50mpg on a run-out today, and I increased the indicated range by 120 miles when I added just £10 of petrol. So I'm now a happy bunny.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My Abarth is booked in for a while I wait slot at supplying dealer a week today. Quoted the same time and cost as lordofthewings less a 10% loyalty discount.
Will post my experience next weekend - mileage 9600.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi there

Dealership service on my A124 went without a hitch. A couple of hours wait, with free coffee and quiet waiting area where I read and finished the last issue of Auto Italia magazine!
Details for you to compare:
First Annual Service 0.75 hour (£85p/h) £63.59
F0000073500049 Oil Filter £13.66
Z174777 Oil Quartz Ineo MC3 5w40 £54
So that was £131.25 before adding UK 20% VAT

Total bill £157.50

Got a free visual health check VHC video sent to my phone advising all was well and all tyres are at 7mm even wear all round - I had the advised swap done while on road trip Italy in July at 6200 miles.See picture below, the Italian tyre fitter was so careful and when finished took pics of the Spider,then showed me pics of his Dad's classic 500!

No software updates for the alarm going off or anything else.
Steering vibration reported as normal.
Slight twittering off near side hood hinge seems to have quietened down.
Got the Dealer Stamp in the service book.

Service advisor was a 20 year old chap with an Abarth 595 - result, an enthusiast!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
An opposite experience in Norfolk, VA.
I show up without appointment at the Express Lane, as instructed a year earlier by my salesman. No luck: I need to come back with an appointment because my vehicle is a "specialty vehicle."
I come back a few days later with an appointment. Unfortunately, they had made the appointment with the Express Lane. I complain, so they find a mechanic "who knows how to do it." (??)
The mechanic works on my car for 2 1/2 hours. I see him fiddling with the cover under the radiator, sharply folding the plastic pieces in an attempt to put the plastic pins back. Why???
During service, I am trying to get confirmation that they will use the correct synthetic oil, but they don't know yet. ??!!
He finally finishes, and sheepishly tells me that it too a long time because he had to look up on Youtube "how to reset the computer" ??!!! :-(
Amount paid: $0.00 because I get free oil changes for life.
I get home and find the engine severely overfilled and there is plenty of oil along the filter housing, intercooler hoses, and engine lower plate. I remove 400 cc by suction from the dip stick, and it is still slightly overfilled.
I check the FIAT App, and see that they recoreded my mileage as being 56570 instead of 5657.
I email the service managers, and a week later I still haven't received a response.
I called service twice and emailed them. Finally they tell me that they will create a second service record stating the correct mileage. It's been 5 days and the FIAT App still reports 56570.

Labor (mechanics, builders, plumbers, etc.) in my area of the US is a disaster. Because I am cheap and a perfectionist, I have been doing all of my own work for decades, but I thought that the risk with an oil change was low. I was wrong. However, even if I were willing to pay, I would not be able to find a professional master mechanic with any pride in his work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First service just done at 12 months (not a Fiat dealer).
The replacement oil which the garage used was SAE 0W-30 (Petronas Selenia)
According to the Owner Handbook, the correct grade of oil is SAE 5W-40.
My inclination is not to worry about this … unless of course I hear strong views from someone who knows more about oils than I do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have had new cars for the last few years different make, PCP contracts, and to be honest I'm not that confident with any of the main stream dealers service.
And someone saying Audi wont take a part exchange unless they have a full dealers stamp, they were the worst of them all. They sold a friend a A3 with a known issue, with a TB on Audi's site to say about burning oil and then tried to deny there was any such TB when he took it back to them about excessive oil use
I'll use my local independent, at least he takes the wheels off when he does a service, even just a oil change, to clean and check the brakes

·
Registered
101 Posts

You have a great reverence and respect for rules and regulations, and a great deference for those who administer them. An admirable trait, and worthy of respect. However, we Yanks tend to be a little more questioning, if at times somewhat rebellious (ring a bell)? We often refuse to take things for granted, and may go to extremes to prove a point!!

I think you are being taken advantage of by these dealers and the amount they are charging for what is basically just an oil change. The reason they keep the car longer than required is to justify their charges.

Here in the US it is illegal for any dealer to require dealer services to keep a warranty in effect. Heck, it's even illegal for them to dictate the use of OEM parts. You are free to have your car serviced anywhere, or even do it yourself as long as you keep receipts to prove the work was done, or that you purchased the required parts at the proper service interval.

And having to wait a month for a measly oil change is utter nonsense. I do not intend any disrespect with these comments, just offering a different perspective.
I’ll agree with this but I’d change the oil after 12 months even on low miles
Moisture from sitting would be my concern
Drive that Car Mate!

·
Registered
241 Posts

Having lived in the UK for a major part of my life, and married a Lancashire lass, and visiting every summer for the last six years, I can tell you, you guys do things a little differently than we do.

That's why the UK is rumourd to be known as treasure island to companies in the rest of the world, we get shafted and told it will help with any warranty claim when in fact it won't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine's just had it's third annual service at just over a year old and 26,000 miles.

Having worked in a Chrysler/Jeep Dealer, yes, having a full Dealer service does help. The Dealer is going to be much more likely to "go into bat" for you if you've always had the car serviced with them. The manufacturer will too, especially if there's any doubt involved in the validity of a warranty claim.

As an example, I had a "customer" who only brought her Grand Cherokee in for warranty work, the car had been bought elsewhere and she didn't pay us to service it as "you're too expensive". She only came to us for free stuff like a dud heater box and failed PAS pump.

6 months outside the 3 year warranty an electric window motor failed so she brought the car back in. I told her what it would cost to replace and she wanted it as a warranty claim or "gesture of goodwill".

What "goodwill" do you think we owe you? You didn't buy the car from us, it came from a used car dealer, you've never paid us for anything we've done for you, everything we've done to the car got paid for by Jeep. Your whole attitude has been "I wouldn't pay you for anything". She got the bird from me and Daimler Chrysler UK.

On the other hand, we replaced a dud door mirror in similar circumstances free of charge for a regular customer who'd bought the car from us and always brought it to us for service because he was a good customer. We did this and put in a "special circumstances" request into DC UK and they paid it, no question. the "regular customer/full Dealer Service" question was the first thing that DC UK would ask.

Same thing happened with the wife's Punto, we bought it from our local Dealer 7 years ago, it's been there for every service since and both my 124 and previous Fiat were the same. So they know us. So when a gearbox bearing got noisy on her car they bumped her to the front of the queue and gave her nice new 500 to run around in while they got the parts sorted. She had that car for two weeks, no extra charge on the bill for that.

As they say, you reap what you sow...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is a dealer service really required to retain warranty in the UK?

Maybe? But if I remember correctly, my dealership insisted on a full service history as part of the PCP contract, in fact the dealership desired it so much that they gave me free servicing as part of the sales package.
Probably because if its a PCP, the dealership knows they'll soon be trying to sell the car on to another owner and a full service history helps.

Its just a shame my dealership is fully booked for an entire month. Grrrr, if only Fiat 500's weren't so popular around here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. This Guy obviously did not have some sort of factory training. I suggest you go else where and find a qualified Fiat Service Centre. Perhaps make an official complaint to their management and or Fiat Head Office is in order.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts