Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Couple of points: "Happens on deceleration" is more a function of reduced noise...it's probably happening all the time you are just hearing it more as other engine noises diminish.

I would check my valve lash clearances next to ensure that the culprit valves are not opening too far due to reduced clearance between the valve and the camshaft.

If this was only due to carbon build up, it would have cleared up by now, anyhow there are a number of chemical solutions to dissolve the carbon, including the "Italian Tune Up". If you need more info on that technique, let me know!!!

As an aside, didn't I say that it sounds like a valve kissing a piston?? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You did indeed sir, thank you! It looks like I found root cause

I hadn’t planned on rebuilding the engine just yet, but life goes on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Definitely time to look at inside of that motor. That's pretty bad! I've rebuilt many of these 1995cc motors. They're easy to rebuild and if you have a good machine shop, not that expensive either if you do your own disassembly and reassembly. Best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The engine and trans are already out. I'm finishing a project involving my wife's garage / she-shed so she can take her junk out of my garage, and I can get to work on this :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Howdy, it's been awhile.
I thought I'd update everyone. I rebuilt the engine and trans over the winter and am getting it back on the road. Here's the latest video:

All my vids having to do with this car are all "1980 Fiat 124 Resurrection (#)" The # is up to 9 at this point. I just took it out for a quick spin the other day, and it's running pretty well. My 4th gear in the trans is not working, so it's going to come back out (over this next winter), but other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. Fun little car to drive.

What's next is a VIN inspection, title bond, a couple visits to the DMV, some insurance, and I'm legal.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts