Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did a beautiful drive to the top of PCH near Point Magu and back through Decker canyon. Was with my wife so drove VERY slowly. And sure enough, 30 mpg. Don't see to get above that for any drives. What kind of average speeds are you guys doing?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did a beautiful drive to the top of PCH near Point Magu and back through Decker canyon. Was with my wife so drove VERY slowly. And sure enough, 30 mpg. Don't see to get above that for any drives. What kind of average speeds are you guys doing?
I usually drive right around 57-60 mph. I'm average 35-36 mpg. The colder temps in the low to mid 40's on my morning commute are dragging down my mpgs. I'm keeping 38 psi in my tires also. 29 psi is way too low for my tastes.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My wife and I did a tour of the Chesapeake bay wineries, on Saturday. All country roads on a beautiful sunny day. Over the 130-mile trip, we averaged 36 MPG. My average since new is 32.4 MPG (US). Mostly suburban driving. Some city, 15% highway, 95% top down. Top up seems to give even better mileage.
32 MPG, Abarth MT, 1250 miles total, tires @ 30 psi.

·
Registered
82 Posts
UK 50th Anniversary edition, manual transmission. 38.5 miles/UK gallon over first 1550 miles of mixed driving. Seems north American fiat spiders have additional 20bhp more than UK cars. Uncertain how this impacts on comparative mpg. Whatever, don't let it stop you pressing the fun pedal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On my 6 speed manual classica, after about 750 miles, I did a back road drive today with a lot of spirited driving on twisty back roads, along with a bit more sedate driving when behind traffic. The end result after all of this was exactly 35.0 mpg. The average would drop a bit on some of the more fun sections, but when I got home, it was right at 35.0 mpg.

·
Registered
476 Posts
my daily average for combination highway and around town is 29mpg. won't get a chance til spring to get a good road trip to see what i can get.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mileage with Abarth manual

My cumulative mileage after 2500 miles is 32.7mpg. That includes a mix of highway and mountain roads in lower gears.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now that my Spider is broken in, my daily commute mileage is down to 28.5. It would be better if the car didn't sound so darn good above 4000 rpm. My commute is only about 25 minutes on side streets and averages only 27mph with stop lights and traffic, so I'm actually happy with 28.5 in that environment. I can't seem to get above 22 in a 98 3 series or 13.5 in my F150.

·
Super Moderator
1,088 Posts
a surprise!

Abarth 124, commuting 20 miles a day plus fun-runs on the weekend. Keeping it tame until I hit 500 miles.

27MPG! I'm astounded.

Pete

·
Registered
79 Posts
Abarth always in Sport mode here, 90%+ highway driving. 33 mpg is my average, worst has been 28 (once), 34-35 is typical. I typically baby it and am very gas-conscious, but still open it up from time to time, especially getting on the interstate

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been getting 32-33mpg with 'normal' driving. If I watch it, I have gotten an average of 41mpg, but that is basically making it a game to see how high I can get. Driving with it hard, I have gotten as low as 22mpg in sport mode (just not caring about mpg). One thing in my trials that I have found unusual (to me) is that most engines have a sweet spot they like in rpms. This enigne seems to like 2300-2400 rpm in town speeds for best mpg but will actually climb in mpg at around 3000-3100 on the highway when not passing. What I mean by this is accelerating to a given speed and then keeping vacuum constant to maintain. Not really sure why though. I would expect the engine to have a (single) set rpm for maximum fuel economy. I am guessing it is a computer map that understands the difference between all of the stop-starts of town driving as compared to constant speeds of highway driving. All of this is with driving from Massetuchets to Missouri and then on to Colorado. So, I have done a cross country as well as local town driving. Still learning though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was surprised to pull a steady 42mpg over 100 miles the other day (flat interstate, 70mph, careful throttle and some drafting). Very impressed, as my 500 Abarth had never broken 38.

But the usual commute (twisty mountain roads, ~80mph freeways, then urban gridlock) is holding at about 31mpg... still 1 or 2 mpg better than the 500 could muster.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
At 950 miles. I'm at 31mpg. At moderate (read: below or at highway speeds) the mpg seems to goes up dramatically. I hit 34mpg after moderate two lane roads, light traffic, and non-sport mode; dropped down to the 31mpg at full interstate speed that someone in a peppy sports car is likely to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Running 8.5L/100km (33.2 mpg Imperial, 27.6 mpg US) which is not too bad and about in line with expectations.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Well the cars computer says 28 MPG, but I haven't got out of my driveway yet, so much dang white stuff.

Reactions: Rando

·
Registered
958 Posts
From Roswell to Albuquerque, 70-75 mpg, with a slight head wind, 36.6 mpg.

41 - 60 of 152 Posts