Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
34 MPG (US) over the last 1000 miles, or so. Typical usage is a 2 X 11-mile commute, suburban - semi-rural, about 4 stop lights. Some days I get as much as 37 MPG on this daily route. My mileage shoots up when I have to drive behind a Prius or an Oldsmobile :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just did a 62 mile trip on the expressway, 65 / 70 mph, 40mpg! 124 Abarth.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Out of Winter hibernation now. After 1,200 miles I have averaged 40.2 mpg (however our gallons are bigger than in the US as I recall ?) Anyhow most amazing is the temperature today in Southern England, at 16C (61F), not bad for February !
Yeah, I've always wondered how you blokes can cram 5 quarts into a gallon. We can only get 4. :)

(For some of you inclined to comment, this is sarcasm. You should look that up in the dictionary before you comment. (That is also sarcasm.))

·
Banned
425 Posts
Mileage with pure gas, no ethanol is 33 MPG. It doesn't seem to vary much whether I am thrashing it or taking a Sunday drive. Glad about that because I prefer thrashing it.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Abarth is still averaging 8L/100km (29 US MPG, 35 IMP MPG)

By way of comparison, the new MX5 2.0 GT RF is averaging 6.7L/100km (35 US MPG, 42 IMP MPG)

Both cars on 93MON/98RON.

I think the Abarth's maybe done a bit more city work which probably explains it.

And the Abarth is "supposed" to be more economical.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Aussie gas isn't compatible with Italian engines. It has too much rice in it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Abarth is still averaging 8L/100km (29 US MPG, 35 IMP MPG.
Today I did 5.7 L/100Km in a 45 minute ride, almost always at 75/80Km/h, I was shocked.
I have a 7.4 l/100Kmh average in my 6900 Km (32 US MPG, 38 UK MPG)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well I'm not getting the same results :(

I have 1600 miles on my white Abarth in the last month and average right at 30 mpg (American) combined using 91 gas. Most of my driving has been HWY at around 80 to 85, plus I have some curvy farm roads at the beginning and end of my commute where I will engage sports mode and turn off traction control. I do keep the revs up and tend to stay one gear lower than my other cars because that way there is no determinable lag and any acceleration joyfully kicks me back in the seat. I do almost no city driving just commuting and driving for fun.

Oh, gas mileage aside this car is unending fun!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oh, gas mileage aside this car is unending fun!
So how are you complaining about 30mpg while having fun and leaving the revs up?
Other than a longer top gear for the highway (which I concur is needed), what's the downside?

My jetta tdi was a beige-mobile and only got just north of 40. 30 with light thrashing sounds perfect.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ok, I've been doing some informal 'testing' of mileage - this is going off purely the cars numbers.

Had the opportunity to perform a few 25mile (each way) commute, with about 22 of that interstate. Also, the homeward commute was stop and go for most of it. Add in a couple of weekend days driving around. Driving style was, shall we say, aggressive. When a stoplight was red, it the accelerator was on. Stoplight red, the brake was on. Binary car control. Basically, having a lot of fun, which probably pissed off people in their 2.4 kid haulers. Interstate was as close to 80 as I could get, and as fast as I could get there. Mileage was 26.9mpg over about 200 miles.

Then performed the same commute 25 miles at around 74 in interstate, easy going with the go pedal, gentle breaking, everything like a good proletarian should do (with only minimal criminal intent). Still stop and go commute home, but with a lot of easy acceleration and gentle breaking. No wild stoplight runs. Approximately 100 miles total. Mileage was flipping between 32.5 and 31.9mpg (there was one or two bursts of speed - I mean, how can you not?).

There's a reason the fuel consumption display is there; it does 'help' you keep the speeds down, and act in a sensible manner. I think I shall refer to it as the communist screen...

Seriously, though, I did find that as your highway speed increased to 80 the consumption did decrease significantly. At 65-75 there will be a few mpg increase, in my estimation. I have this same situation in my Suburban (a brick on wheels). It goes without asking that using the gas and brake to put the car in the 'performance activity range' will reduce your consumption.

A final note, the startup and idle from cold seemed to eat up more gas than I was expecting: it takes a while of driving to bring the mpg back to a reasonable level.

Reactions: Stelvio

·
Registered
349 Posts
So how are you complaining about 30mpg while having fun and leaving the revs up?
Other than a longer top gear for the highway (which I concur is needed), what's the downside?

My jetta tdi was a beige-mobile and only got just north of 40. 30 with light thrashing sounds perfect.
I know right, even some Honda Civic owners would want that sort of mileage and Civic's are sort of the benchmark for fuel econ in a somewhat cool compact.

But that might just be me speaking from a past with vehicles not nearly as fuel efficient and not nearly as fun. So, when you come from that to this it really puts things into perspective.

·
Registered
476 Posts
From the first drive in car. I picked it up in CT and drove 350 miles to PA and got 35mph. Speeds varied between 65-80 mph except in NY where it was much more congested and slower. average for the trip 35mpg. Thought that was good. and once broken in will probably be better.

·
Registered
958 Posts
On my trip to Houston and back, over 2,000 miles, about 200 of which was city driving and with strong headwinds both ways across west Texas and east New Mexico, I only got 30.5 mpg.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having fun and driving with no regard for fuel economy, I average 25-26mpg between fast highway and a twisty road that are my daily commute. Little more restraint but still in Sport mode gets me 28-29mpg. I am rather happy with these numbers. Manual transmission.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Compared to the 13mpg in the diesel truck (city average) and the 37mpg on the FJR, it's in between... but I don't really worry about mileage. Tank gets low, I put fuel in and keep on driving and having fun. ;)
My iPhone app (which I mainly track maintenance items/cost in but also document all fuel fill-ups) shows average (for me) is 22.9mpg with a high of 32.6mpg. Most of my driving is around town and I do NOT have a light foot from a stop with this car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Results of the first full week of my normal work commute. It is 26 miles each way, about 15 back roads (no traffic, but many stops and starts due to stop signs) and 10 highway (somewhat congested and slow). There was some mildly spirited back roads driving mixed in with some conservative highway driving. Got about 31.5 mpg for 300 miles and 9.5 gallons of gas.

61 - 80 of 152 Posts