Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

124 probably totalled

8K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  56S 
#1 ·
Was involved in accident on satuday. My 124 was t-boned on the passenger side and spun about some so that i took out two street signs. The passenger in the car was 6' and about 240lbs.. Everyone walked away from the accident. The passenger is very sore but nothing cut or broken. I am sore and somehow got glass embedded in my scalp on my left side, but not serious at all. Let me just say that the cage to protect the occupants did it's job!! It will likely be totaled. The driver's door is the only panel that is not damaged. I will attach a pic of the passenger sides damage. There is a lot of other damage but this is the spot that took the brunt of it.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: PDX.124
#6 ·
Sorry to hear that but at least you and your passenger are here to tell the tail. It says a lot that it took a broadside with nobody hurt seriously. How fast was he going? Any scientific details? I'm 6'5" about 255lbs and have this as a big concern since I know I'm out-of-the-norm for what these are generally built to deal with. It is reassuring that it hit on his side and he's still ok.

Reactions: Unknownsir
#7 ·
Yikes! You were both lucky. Happy to see, though, that the 124 absorbed the impact well; maybe its lighter weight actually helped you because it was easily hurled away from impact and spent energy striking street signs and things less intrusive to the interior. Otherwise the other car might have penetrated deeper. Or not!

#9 ·
Unknownsir, you are such an active member on the forum. What a shock for us all. Glad you and your passenger are not in the hospital. Since this just happened, beware of what might arise in the body over the next week. In such accidents, injuries are not always readily apparent.

I'd bet money that your car is totaled. On a brighter note, maybe there's some fun to be had in finding the perfect replacement.

#11 ·
Very sorry to hear this! Hope the next few days of recovery don't reveal any long term personal injuries. I'm sure you will be sore about the car, though. It's good news that the car protected you well, it seems. None of us expect to test this out.

#13 ·
Very sorry to hear, and very glad both you and passenger are ok, considering the circumstances. Good idea to get checked out anyway, whiplash trauma can manifest itself considerably after the actual event. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to both of you, and timely handling of the insurance claim.

Thx, S

#14 ·
Sorry to see you lose such a nice Spider and I'm more than happy to hear that you came away without a major injury. As LongBeachJim says, injuries are now always immediately apparent, so be careful until you are sure that you're fine. BTW, I always dreamed of having a Fiat as a daily driver but never really considered it to be possible until the new Spider came out last year for this exact reason. If someone restores a classic Spider and it gets taken out in this type of accident, there will be injuries. Even if there's not, the car would be very difficult to replace. The beauty of the new Spiders is that they not only protect you, but once the insurance company comes through, you get to go pick out a new Spider. Good luck with the situation as it continues to unfold for you. Please post photos of the new Spider you end up with when all is said and done.

#16 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your spider, but glad you are okay. Be sure and visit a doctor to check you out. I got rear-ended once and thought I was fine. Three months later I had a bi-lateral cervical fusion done.

#18 ·
Sad about the car. Glad you guys are safe. At least you can take what you learned when you choose its replacement

#19 ·
Shame but at least you are ok.

So, now you have the opportunity to move on to another car, either another 124 or some other car.

What is your plan, if you've thought about it at all yet. If you get another 124 with you change the spec? What will you chang?

#21 ·
Thanks one and all for the thoughts!!

as it happened on back roads the speeds were only around 35 to 45mph for both cars involved, not highway speeds but neither car had time to brake or react. the side airbag went off on the passenger side, and i credit it with preventing damage to the face and neck from the flying glass, considering the embedded glass i got in my scalp on the left side,( furthest point facing away from impact).

Plans for replacement car. I do want another 124. I asked the other half if they would be scared to drive in the car after this and was told that seeing how well it protected everyone that they would feel less scared. it was a concern in the back of the mind about what would happen if we crashed, but now we know and they feel safer. So i am glad of that.

What would i change? i like the options i had and would definitely go for the lusso with premium again but would also be open to the Abarth with luxury, most of the choice will be what we can find. Color as long as it is one of the whites or one of the greys i am ok with the color. The big question is what kind of hit i will take from insurance company so i know how much i will have to reinvest and how much i have to cough up. Hoping they give me full value of the car, but not holding my breath on that, just hope they don't try for too much depreciation?

#22 ·
Holy moly, very happy to hear that everyone is okay and walking about. Car can be replaced, you guys can't. Considering you knocked out two street signs as well, that could have ended up a lot worse.

The main thing is I'm glad to see your ready to just hop back on the horse and your more confident in your choice now. On the bright side, now you know what you would want to re-do and change from the first time :)

The hit on your insurance is going to depend on a lot of factors that'll vary the outcome completely. Every insurance company is different, state, peoples history, etc.

#23 ·
Insuring my 124, I purchased the Replacement Cost Option, which was fairly inexpensive and is offered for three years. For example, if I get totaled in a couple of years (or stolen), I can replace with a 2019 model of the same car. The option is only offered on new cars, because that's where you take the biggest hit in a wreck.

#24 ·
Got the appraisal from the insurance company. They did total the vehicle and have agreed to pay full price as new plus added the modifications I did. Very happy with their offer!

Canceled my extended service contract and only losing $100 off that, which I think is good.

Put my local dealership on notice to try to find me something to replace it. I asked they find me another Lusso with premium or an Abarth with luxury since I didn't have to take a big hit in the wallet.

#27 · (Edited)
As the passenger side was pretty squashed all I can say for sure is that air bag from the side deployed but not how many or position. Not sure where the head side air bag would deploy from other than headrest are but I don't think anything from that area. Truly the cut on my scalp and bruised kidneys were the worse of it. The car was amazing in protecting us. When I looked at it two days later to remove my belongings I realized how much worse it was than I originally thought. The only panel on the whole car not damaged was the driver's door.

I need to talk again with my local dealership but the general manager had told me they think they have a Abarth w/ luxury in silver at a dealer in CT but have to arrange logistics to get it if it is a go. Keeping my fingers crossed.

#33 ·
There are a few cars I mentally see as too masculine for a female name. The 124 I see as female but the Abarth male. A Mustang and a Challenger both male.

#34 ·
Those are "pony" cars, therefore they should have girls names.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.