Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys & Girls.......We were discussing the basic stuff that New 124 Spider Owners ask us on joining this Merry Band of Enthusiasts, and Friends.....so here is a NON exhaustive list of BASIC stuff ONLY so as not to confuse new owners or folk like myself who still own and use an "Abacus".......
Maybe, instead of explaining all these basics time and time again we could just refer to this thread and say, "There you go Sailor"..........

1/ Fob Batteries- They last up to two years or until you buy your 124 Spider...Can't get into your car, will not start, little key light on dash showing Yellow or Red and you have to try starting by holding LOGO end of fob to START button....
DURACELL 2025 x 1 (forget cheap cr*p)
2/ SOFT TOP...Best advice, even if you live in hot conditions and leave it down...Put it UP every once a week or so to stretch the material so avoid future creasing, cracking, straining when attempting to lock it in up position.
3/ Engine oil (and this subject takes over here)...ONLY USE RECOMMENDED 0w-40 UK, 5w-40 USA FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL that conforms to ALL standards ( see "Engine Oil Tech Talk" thread, some good advice there). "The Brick"
4/ CHANGE your ENGINE OIL ANNUALLY....the MultiAir 1.4 engine DOES NOT like old or dirty oil AND WILL let you know about it..........! "The Brick"
5/ CHECK engine oil REGULARLY / WEEKLY......as the MultiAir will not tolerate low engine oil levels and WILL BITE BACK ! "The Brick".
6/ "THE BRICK"......Yes, this is the heart of the above mentioned potential troubles....It is complex, has a variable cam set up that is operated by sensors and said sensors can get blocked easily by dirty oil, then you do have expensive troubles ahead. It also likes regular priming through use NOT TOP UP's. so........
7/ WINTERING YOUR 124 Spider.....NEVER..leave the MultiAir 1.4 engine over winter or for longer than 3 week (approx) period without STARTING and RUNNING it for about 20 minutes or so...To recharge battery as the engine oil drains down from "The Brick" and YOU WILL THEN NOT START the car, so..............should you get caught or have been when you read this caught out....you will need to add 10 oz of Fully Synthetic correct grade oil to "The Brick" before then going through the starting procedure, more than once as it will need to be primed, cough a bit then fire up...

IMG_0001.JPG You are looking at and down engine oil filler cap hole to the little hole where the 10 oz of engine oil should be poured...DO NOT OVERFILL ! "THE BRICK" and "THE ENGINE" (Crankcase) do not like it............ONLY EVER ADD that 10oz of engine oil to "The Brick" "if" THE 124 SPIDER has been left without stating it for any length of time. If you are worried about overfill then simply drain some oil off until dipstick is at full mark.
8/ CAR BATTERY.........for those only used to sealed units. The 124 Spider battery has 6 little caps, every once in a while undo caps and look into each cell, you should see DISTILLED water level JUST above the plates, keep it that way.
9/ FUEL....Your Spider prefers Premium or 98 grade (UK) and 93 grade USA so should you NOT be using it you may just run into idling issues..or worse. From the USA manual.....
87-90 (so lower grade UK fuel) will reduce performance slightly, engine output,could cause knocking. Lower grade fuel will negatively effect emission control system performance and could cause serious engine damage over time. (Full details Bob T page 2
10/ Lifting / Jacking....Just adding from Forum Member "Magoffin" (Thanks)..THE BEST and Recommended Safest way is to use the Mazda MX5 ND recommended method of jacking from the centre points using extra low Racing Jack 1.5 ton minimum to front, at least, and AXLE STANDS

Translation .......UK USA/Canada
Bonnet - Hood
Boot - Trunk
Soft Top - Roof
Tyre - Tire
Girl - Beautiful !

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For "The Lads"....Add to these basic rules with anything else that IS BASIC but will assist our new members by all means, but keep it simple as some folk will struggle with too much / too technical information, like faulty water pump and wastegate actuator symptoms. Right then Folk, over to you..... Cheers
ron

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, as a new custodian I really appreciate the experience and the passion you guys have for these cars.
A couple of questions. The car arrived with 47 kilometers on the clock having been in a showroom for 1 year.
1. Fob batteries - Yes been there got the tee shirt, flashing key on dash, intermittent unlocking and had to use the fob on the button. New batteries installed - all good. The listed battery is a 2025. I had both and although the 2032 will go in there is a lot of stress on the case.
3. Should I change the oil 1 year but only 47km?
4,5,6 & 7. The car must have stood for more than 3 weeks during the period before it arrived. There have been no problems starting (excluding 1. above). Should I be worried about "the brick"? Where does the 10oz of oil go, not what hole it goes in, does it just evaporate? Seems like a lot of oil to keep adding?

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe Brick is nothing to be scared of......when you fill through that little hole it lubricates the assembly and stays there in The Brick, the 3 week before it drains away bit is just an approx to help you set some sort of schedule up. Fob batteries....You are correct CR 2025, I will edit above, I use the other ones elsewhere, have spares and selected the wrong number. Oil change...."Hopefully" Fiat will have serviced your 124 Spider before you collected it so oil and filter should have been done, if not, i would probably run the Spider to around 500 miles then change the oil and filter as any loose metal filling / crap tiny edges as the engine wears in will have collected in the sump, so you can ditch that oil and start afresh. The ROOF bit, I forgot should have said "soft top", so will change that also. Glad it helps, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, as a new custodian I really appreciate the experience and the passion you guys have for these cars.
A couple of questions. The car arrived with 47 kilometers on the clock having been in a showroom for 1 year.
1. Fob batteries - Yes been there got the tee shirt, flashing key on dash, intermittent unlocking and had to use the fob on the button. New batteries installed - all good. The listed battery is a 2025. I had both and although the 2032 will go in there is a lot of stress on the case.
3. Should I change the oil 1 year but only 47km?
4,5,6 & 7. The car must have stood for more than 3 weeks during the period before it arrived. There have been no problems starting (excluding 1. above). Should I be worried about "the brick"? Where does the 10oz of oil go, not what hole it goes in, does it just evaporate? Seems like a lot of oil to keep adding?
YOU DO NOT ADD OIL unless the Spider has stood long term and will not start, certainly NEVER add 10 oz of engine oil every 3 weeks..........!!Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Reactions: Kent and 68wooley

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sorry, what was thread about again? :D

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
What? And tire/tyre didn't make it to the translation table? lol

Reactions: Aldo and Brexit !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do we wave at ND RZs or pretend not to see them? I saw a gorgeous red one with a ~heritage stripe the other way and didn't know what to do because they are normally so very bland. Now I'm confused!

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: Aldo and Hogrider92

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What? And tire/tyre didn't make it to the translation table? lol
I stand corrected "again"...these boys are sharp here CD, No Prisoners ....;)

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do we wave at ND RZs or pretend not to see them? I saw a gorgeous red one with a ~heritage stripe the other way and didn't know what to do because they are normally so very bland. Now I'm confused!
If it's a Bloke...up to you, however....If it's "Aldo's" Bird....Definitely ! Cheers
ron

Reactions: chrisd37

·
Registered
883 Posts
Tyre

Tire

·
Registered
2019 Lusso
7 Posts

Dear Pete,

Similar experience: we bought our 2019 Lusso last October (2019); it was assembled (as they all are) in Japan in March 2019, so the Italian engine must be a bit older; changed the oil, using one of the endorsed synthetics, in February 2020 after talking to tech rep (Valvoline). Their specs are for mileage, but they still advise ONE YEAR MAX. We had ~400 miles at the time. Did not change the filter. Good investment. Watch a few YouTubes and do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For trf414mll.......and others...who just discovered that you can't leave your 124 spider sitting too long without starting it..........Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just added ...supplied by member "Magoffin" (Cheers) the Best and probably Safest way of lifting / jacking your 124 Spider as described in 10 of the 10 Commandments above....as the marking for side lifting on the 124 Spider are unclear, especially at rear sides and we don't want to risk damaging are precious vehicles ......Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 26 Posts