Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Updated number 9 of the 10 Commandments above regarding FUEL.....The 124 Spider prefers Premium or 98 grade fuel. The owners handbook says UNLEADED RON not less than 95 in compliance with EU...(for UK and Europe) specification EN228, no methanol or ethanol E85...using these mixtures may cause misfires and handling issues, as well as damage fundamentals.... With 98 grade you should have better idle, running, performance and mileage and give your multigrade engine the respect it deserves. So, should you suffer idle (should be 800 rpm), running issues and are using a lower grade.............Cheers
ron

·
Registered
401 Posts
Updated number 9 of the 10 Commandments above regarding FUEL.....The 124 Spider prefers Premium or 98 grade fuel. The owners handbook says UNLEADED RON not less than 95 in compliance with EU...(for UK and Europe) specification EN228, no methanol or ethanol E85...using these mixtures may cause misfires and handling issues, as well as damage fundamentals.... With 98 grade you should have better idle, running, performance and mileage and give your multigrade engine the respect it deserves. So, should you suffer idle (should be 800 rpm), running issues and are using a lower grade.............Cheers
ron
Spot on. Slightly lumpier from cold with 95.Much smoother from cold with 98, but some Forecourts really crank up the price difference. When you're a tight Scotsman you notice these things!

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah....Original family both sides from Cork, Grandad "Armstrong" (so cattle thieving from the English back in the day) from the borders and me...a Scouser (by trade), Celtic Cornish by choice....so, having that family history, and born in Liverpool.... I should be nicking my fuel as a "Scally". What I do is only ever use Shell Premium and "NEVER" look at the price per litre.. for my VW T-Roc, still Shell but 95 then add "Redex". Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For JonnyDanger......here it is Cheers

·
Registered
502 Posts
ron
Perhaps an update to include the US standards. We don't use RON where I live. 93 is the best I can get local, (this varies depending on location).

From the US manual:
Fuel: Premium unleaded fuel. Octane Rating (Anti-knock index): 91 (R + M)/2 method or above (96 RON or above) (U.S. federal law requires that octane ratings be posted on gasoline station pumps).

Regular unleaded fuel with an octane rating from 87 to 90 (91 to 95 RON) can be used, but this will reduce performance slightly, such as reduced engine output, and engine knocking. Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) will negatively affect the emission control system performance and could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Perhaps an update to include the US standards. We don't use RON where I live. 93 is the best I can get local, (this varies depending on location).

From the US manual:
Thanks Bob Mate.....that is a MUST....I am just answering the second enquiry about mild shakes from start of ownership but could not remember the thread title were we discussed fuel grades...it was about emissions I think now that I have read above, the guys Spider failed his FIRST annual test. Cheers again for your help Bob.
ron

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Brought up for "Gonetohell"

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just a gentle reminder to all the new members and those members who have not yet seen this thread,"Put together through the efforts of many experienced members" to assist them in planning out the coming winter season to ensure that those sleeping 124 Spiders awake in the spring ready to Rock and Roll. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth AT
61 Posts
I knew everything except for the battery water. Going to have to look at that tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Great thread, Ron!

Just a quick one from a UK Abarth 124 owner - our oil grade is 5W-40!
Hi Bradley Mate.......Rule 3..page 1 refers to "Engine Oil Tech Talk" thread...if you go to page 5 half way down it will explain everything.......the information I received from Mobil and Mercedes Benz both confirmed that the latest BEST and most suitable oil for the 124 Spider is Mobil 1 0w-40. I FULLY list all relevant information in that comment and recommend you move to it, I was still using Mobil 1 5w-30 which was Mobil and Opie Oils, Cornwall previous Best recommendation. It's "The Brick" that sorts out the wheat from the chaff and if The Brick is not happy with your selection "over time" it will sulk, clog up the sensors and that's your lot......Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider
55 Posts
Hi Bradley Mate.......Rule 3..page 1 refers to "Engine Oil Tech Talk" thread...if you go to page 5 half way down it will explain everything.......the information I received from Mobil and Mercedes Benz both confirmed that the latest BEST and most suitable oil for the 124 Spider is Mobil 1 0w-40. I FULLY list all relevant information in that comment and recommend you move to it, I was still using Mobil 1 5w-30 which was Mobil and Opie Oils, Cornwall previous Best recommendation. It's "The Brick" that sorts out the wheat from the chaff and if The Brick is not happy with your selection "over time" it will sulk, clog up the sensors and that's your lot......Cheers
ron
That's fair enough, I just run what's recommended from Abarth themselves, which is Selenia 5W-40(y)

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth AT
61 Posts
For the battery will any distilled water work or have you guys found that one wasn’t as pure?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I expect @Brexit ! to declare that noting works better than pasteurized hedgehog urine. ;)
Chipshot Mate.....Try reading the "Engine Oil Tech Talk" thread......Page 5 bottom half...I reported "for the benefit of our UK members, and you the results I received from enquiry re Correct MOBIL Engine oil for the 124 Spider, "Ameridan" of 21st Century 124 Spider fame confirmed his own recent additions on this subject and added the Mobil link to his article.
Member "Doug" commented asking about his use of "Selenia 5w-40" which you will see I did not knock or favour.
The difference is oil viscosity operating temperatures as well as additives and as the UK is COLDER than the USA our oils have lower (0w bit) than yours at 5w.Previously Mobil oils and Opie oils, Cornwall UK had assured me that 5w-30 Mobil 1 was correct for my 124 Spider but have now upgraded their recommendation to 0w-40.
For any member UK or abroad to avoid damaging their MultiAir engine by using the incorrect grade is a good thing.
Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
For the battery will any distilled water work or have you guys found that one wasn’t as pure?
The answer "as far as I know" is distilled water is distilled water so no need to buy anything other than basic and only fill to JUST above those battery plates to avoid the cells buckling if allowed to fall below. Cheers
ron

Reactions: SpagWagonsScot

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I expect @Brexit ! to declare that noting works better than pasteurized hedgehog urine. ;)
Chipshot Mate.....Try reading the "Engine Oil Tech Talk" thread......Page 5 bottom half...I reported "for the benefit of our UK members, and you the results I received from enquiry re Correct MOBIL Engine oil for the 124 Spider, "Ameridan" of 21st Century 124 Spider fame confirmed his own recent additions on this subject and added the Mobil link to his article.
Member "Doug" commented asking about his use of "Selenia 5w-40" which you will see I did not knock or favour.
The difference is oil viscosity operating temperatures as well as additives and as the UK is COLDER than the USA our oils have lower (0w bit) than yours at 5w.Previously Mobil oils and Opie oils, Cornwall UK had assured me that 5w-30 Mobil 1 was correct for my 124 Spider but have now upgraded their recommendation to 0w-40.
For any member UK or abroad to avoid damaging their MultiAir engine by using the incorrect grade is a good thing.
Cheers
ron
Please don't put oil in your battery (that's what @Killerspy7 meant when inquiring about distilled water).

·
Registered
283 Posts
Reactions: Chipshot

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
In America, we say "roof" instead of hood.
I was just reading this thread again, and it never ceases to amaze me how Canada ended up as a hybrid of two version of English language. We follow a lot of British spelling standards (like an abundant use of the letter "u".... colour, neighbour, etc.), but then ditched the terms for vehicles and went with the US variation. So we don't have lorries, boots, bonnets, tyres when it comes to wheeled vehicles. Many many years ago, we "used to" drive on the left hand side of the road, but that too went by the wayside for simplicity of dealing with our neighbours to the south. Unfortunately, back in the 70's when we were all going to convert to Metric, the US pulled out and stayed with Imperial measures, while we trundled along on the painful road of migration to a new system (some of which we still struggle with even today).

I strongly suspect that if we were an isolated island nation, we would have ended up much more British by nature... but sharing one hugely long border with another country means that in many cases proximity trumps (no pun intended) commonwealth considerations. So our friends in the states will still tease us about pop, spelling, units of measure, and ending out sentences with a raised inflection... but it's all good. I can't wait for the post COVID opening of the border again, as I'm really itching to do the Pacific Coast Highway run in the Spider.

Raised Inflection

21 - 40 of 55 Posts