Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Okay, just updated 124 Basic Rules top of page one........to include Replacement Battery Best Buy (UK) and some good advice on running your A/C to stop seals drying out......Cheers

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Automatic
58 Posts
Just reading basic ownership rules again, in part just for a laugh, and thought I'd add to the discussion for the US cars. Shell premium fuel is "Top Tier" rated (good for keeping valves clean) and exceeds the octane rating requirements of our cars, so that is what I use. Also, Shell Platinum Euro 5w-40 engine oil is full synthetic and meets all the required standards. I have heard Amsoil also meets the requirements, but very hard to find in my area. s.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hello Folks....Well, we have now seen the back of 2020 .......it's coming up to the end of January 2021 and as I look out the office window everything is frozen, so.......Time to remind our friends and NEW buddies to take a look at this thread, particularly the beginning where our more experienced members all contributed to the Basic Rules of 124 Spider Ownership "including" what to do with (and to) your Spider whilst it is tucked up hibernating in it's cave (garage) or under wraps (hopefully) outdoors...to ignore this thread could be costly........Cheers and "STAY SAFE"
ron

Reactions: Bob T

·
Registered
502 Posts
Took mine out yesterday....a little rainy, mid 40s, just an errand, but still fun. :)

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have advocated here on SpiderCar124.org for the AntiGravity battery, but I will change that recommendation based on many if not most owners doing winter storage for their SpiderCar 124s. My AntiGravity battery was anti-storage. 6 weeks of disuse (out of the car, sitting in the 50+F garage at home during my water pump warranty service) killed it. AntiGravity told me send it in for a "warranty evaluation," which perhaps I am too cynical, but that sounds to me like "send it back to us so we can find a reason to tell you No Warranty." I am not saying AntiGravity batteries are good or bad, but my experience with one in a SpiderCar 124 was not good. I read elsewhere on here that our cars don't charge a battery in the way a "smart" battery expects to be charged, and that is the root cause of SpiderCar 124 problems with AntiGravity batteries. I had asked AG prior to purchase if the model I was buying would have an issue with the amount of charging provided by our car. They said nope it'll be fine. But it was not fine. I have given up on it, having flushed an unfortunate amount of money down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
So far I’m secure in my strategy, but I’ll go back and re-read the thread to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Automatic
58 Posts
You will probably get a chuckle out of this one, Ron! And I don't mind if you give me some "Told ya so! 😁". (put a "dummy" on the end if you want!) Here in Maine, with all the corrosion causing salt on the roads and not wanting my Abarth going the way my original 124 Spiders did, my car spends the winter in storage at Portland Motor Club. When the fine people there went to start it up to take it over to the Portland Detailing area, it would crank over nicely, but would not start. I sent them a link to Ameridan's site explaining the procedure. Still no go. So I went in with a neat little pistol pump oiler "PT / Performance Tool #W54265", (www.wilmarcorp.com). This little 6 oz. oiler has a metal flex spout with a fine brass tip on it that will open the check ball on the brick and push oil in past it with very little loss over the top. I can confirm that the engine will first crank quickly as there is little compression, then cranks normally a bit, spits and sputters, then finally runs. It took 5 ounces of the Pennzoil 5w-40 I use, and no more, to get it running. Now, the fine people at Portland Motor Club will start my car every couple of weeks until things warm up here - about May 1 - and I can't wait!!

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You will probably get a chuckle out of this one, Ron! And I don't mind if you give me some "Told ya so! 😁". (put a "dummy" on the end if you want!) Here in Maine, with all the corrosion causing salt on the roads and not wanting my Abarth going the way my original 124 Spiders did, my car spends the winter in storage at Portland Motor Club. When the fine people there went to start it up to take it over to the Portland Detailing area, it would crank over nicely, but would not start. I sent them a link to Ameridan's site explaining the procedure. Still no go. So I went in with a neat little pistol pump oiler "PT / Performance Tool #W54265", (www.wilmarcorp.com). This little 6 oz. oiler has a metal flex spout with a fine brass tip on it that will open the check ball on the brick and push oil in past it with very little loss over the top. I can confirm that the engine will first crank quickly as there is little compression, then cranks normally a bit, spits and sputters, then finally runs. It took 5 ounces of the Pennzoil 5w-40 I use, and no more, to get it running. Now, the fine people at Portland Motor Club will start my car every couple of weeks until things warm up here - about May 1 - and I can't wait!!
Ref : 54265 6 oz Pistol Oiler with flex hose...as DIECTLY / NO WASTE used by SteveP above. That Steve, is exactly the right sort of contribution to assist all of us"...Cheers
ron 1613025177338.png

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't wait for the post COVID opening of the border again, as I'm really itching to do the Pacific Coast Highway run in the Spider.
Well CD, If you get as far south as Orange County when the border opens, look me up. I would be happy to buy you one of our craft beers with some Mexican food. We don't have "pints" though. I've had my two jabs of Pfizer vaccine and we are heading rapidly for herd immunity.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The battery in my 2018 Lusso (actually purchased from the dealer in late May 2019) is a sealed unit and specifies on the battery that it is "Maintenance Free."

As to your specification of the octane rating for US models, the highest that you can get in California is 91 grade. I have seen nothing higher than that in western US states. When you travel to higher altitude areas, the highest octane ratings available drop. We have vast areas at 4000 to 5000 feet above sea level - eg. Northern Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. I believe that I remember Interstate 80 through Wyoming (last traveled in about 1974) being at 8000 feet above sea level. I don't remember the octane levels in those areas but they were lower than here in California at about 200 to 500 feet above sea level - of course California also has higher altitude areas. I would advise 124 owners to just buy the highest octane rated fuel available in the US.

The batteries in both of my key fobs died about a week ago. I had to start the car with the key up to the start button. On the first try, the starter motor ran, but the engine did not fire. I think I removed the fob from the start button too soon. On the second try Sophia fired and purred like a kitten.

I also had to open her with the manual key. That triggered the alarm. Of course nobody around cared a bit about a car alarm.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The battery in my 2018 Lusso (actually purchased from the dealer in late May 2019) is a sealed unit and specifies on the battery that it is "Maintenance Free."

As to your specification of the octane rating for US models, the highest that you can get in California is 91 grade. I have seen nothing higher than that in western US states. When you travel to higher altitude areas, the highest octane ratings available drop. We have vast areas at 4000 to 5000 feet above sea level - eg. Northern Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. I believe that I remember Interstate 80 through Wyoming (last traveled in about 1974) being at 8000 feet above sea level. I don't remember the octane levels in those areas but they were lower than here in California at about 200 to 500 feet above sea level - of course California also has higher altitude areas. I would advise 124 owners to just buy the highest octane rated fuel available in the US.

The batteries in both of my key fobs died about a week ago. I had to start the car with the key up to the start button. On the first try, the starter motor ran, but the engine did not fire. I think I removed the fob from the start button too soon. On the second try Sophia fired and purred like a kitten.

I also had to open her with the manual key. That triggered the alarm. Of course nobody around cared a bit about a car alarm.
Hi Doug....Yes, The North American lads have stated same as you in the past (in this thread also I think) that they do not get the same "Premium" fuels as we do in UK...so you are "Spot ON" with your statement that they should buy the highest octane rated fuel available, our UK owners manual states the grade but it seems the North American issue has to report as it finds......
I hope CDPond "Cal" does see your invite as I know that he has travelled to meet up with "The Boys" for lunch in the past...Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
do you know if that battery was original equipment or a replacement?

93 octane in Michigan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My battery is OEM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just read the US owner's manual for my 2018 model about fuel. Previously, I did not read that portion. I knew that premium fuel is required, so I always feed Sophia with Chevron or Shell premium.

However, I found another interesting tidbit from the owner's manual. "When available, the usage of a Top Tier Detergent gasoline is recommended. Visit www.toptiergas.com for a list of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers." The website lists dozens of retailers in the USA, Canada and Mexico. Chevron and Shell are listed along with most other retailers commonly found. The owner's manual also gives a maximum ethanol content limit of 15%. (I usually don't waste good Scotch on filling Sophia's tank. LOL. Yes, I know that most gasoline in the US contains ethanol because of the corn farmers' lobby.)

The owner's manual also warns against use of gasoline containing Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl (MMT). MMT is prohibited in California and Federal reformulated gasoline.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts