Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2017 FIAT 124 Spider Classica
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What’s up guys,

So I’m having a hard time finding a tuner in SoCal for Spider.

My previous cars were an MR-S and an RX8 which both use PowerFC so my tuner has always been Yoshiya-san at Neptune Speed. Hey

For my Spider I’m going to get the EC Tuning System, but I can’t find anyone who uses that on their dyno. I know Greg from EC has a dyno for it, but I’m not going to ship my car all the way to NY to do that.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jaytee

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The EC tunes are off-the-shelf, albeit they'll work with you if you need or want to tweak it after the initial load. No need for the car to go on a dyno other than if you are curious to measure your before and after gains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The EC tunes are off-the-shelf, albeit they'll work with you if you need or want to tweak it after the initial load. No need for the car to go on a dyno other than if you are curious to measure your before and after gains.
From my experience with my previous cars, dyno-tuning assisted with the performance of my cars. So is the EC tunes different from the PowerFC? They both use remaps, but the PowerFC dyno-tunes the map for peak performance and efficiency.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,276 Posts
If you are able to drive out to Oklahoma, you can schedule time on the dyno at their shop and Toby can dial it in for sure. If not, you have to start with a base map, collect logs under different conditions, send them to Toby, then he can make changes based on that. It can get you close to the max the car can do.

You can also dyno locally and have them share the data with Toby to make changes, but I highly doubt he will share his methodology with the shop. Our cars are a niche market, not too many have delved into the software to decode it, and Fiat likes to completely re-arrange everything with each release making them have to start over sometimes. They aren't going to want to just give that knowledge away.

I drove my car out to Tulsa last summer for a few days of tuning and I will probably be headed there again this summer after the rebuild is complete. There may be a shop in SoCal that knows the platform. @Spoolin32 had mentioned something about dyno and having tweaks done locally after Turbo/P3 upgrade but I am not sure if they were working with EC or just figured it out themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are able to drive out to Oklahoma, you can schedule time on the dyno at their shop and Toby can dial it in for sure. If not, you have to start with a base map, collect logs under different conditions, send them to Toby, then he can make changes based on that. It can get you close to the max the car can do.

You can also dyno locally and have them share the data with Toby to make changes, but I highly doubt he will share his methodology with the shop. Our cars are a niche market, not too many have delved into the software to decode it, and Fiat likes to completely re-arrange everything with each release making them have to start over sometimes. They aren't going to want to just give that knowledge away.

I drove my car out to Tulsa last summer for a few days of tuning and I will probably be headed there again this summer after the rebuild is complete. There may be a shop in SoCal that knows the platform. @Spoolin32 had mentioned something about dyno and having tweaks done locally after Turbo/P3 upgrade but I am not sure if they were working with EC or just figured it out themselves.
Yeah there’s no way I can drive there. I live in California, would be cheaper to ship it to them, which I probably wouldn’t do. I’ll look into the logging and sending to Toby thing.

Thank you for such a detailed response, Cal. Much appreciated my friend.

·
Registered
663 Posts

Luckily EC didn’t have to do anything extra besides provide their file for the for stuffed turbo e85 tune. I ran it on the dyno but the car was acting up and AFRs were out of wack. Still made 221wheel and we haven’t touched the tune since. It was right after I went e85 with new injectors and tune then drove right to the dyno lol so the car still had some adapting to do. Really happy with it, now to just be able to drive it again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Luckily EC didn’t have to go anything for stuffed turbo e85 tune. I ran it on the dyno but the car was acting up and AFRs were out of wack. Still made 221wheel and we haven’t touched the tune since. It was right after I went e85 with new injectors and tune then drove right to the dyno lol so the car still had some adapting to do. Really happy with it, now to just be able to drive it again
Did the local dyno have trouble tuning it?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Luckily EC didn’t have to go anything for stuffed turbo e85 tune. I ran it on the dyno but the car was acting up and AFRs were out of wack. Still made 221wheel and we haven’t touched the tune since. It was right after I went e85 with new injectors and tune then drove right to the dyno lol so the car still had some adapting to do. Really happy with it, now to just be able to drive it again
221hp at the wheel? It must be scary fast. I am jealous

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn’t actually dyno tune, Euro compulsion did the tuning and there was no need to re tune after. We just put it on the dyno to see what numbers it would lay down.
Ah.. got it.Thank you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Luckily EC didn’t have to do anything extra besides provide their file for the for stuffed turbo e85 tune. I ran it on the dyno but the car was acting up and AFRs were out of wack. Still made 221wheel and we haven’t touched the tune since. It was right after I went e85 with new injectors and tune then drove right to the dyno lol so the car still had some adapting to do. Really happy with it, now to just be able to drive it again
Do you have a torque and power chart?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Here is one of mine from last summer on the EC dyno in Tulsa. This was the last 23PSI pull. Upped to 26PSI the next morning and tweaked to about 240whp. I say about because the highest we got captured was 233whp and 250tq but by the afternoon he got a low 260tq but HP was falling each pull as the garage went into the upper 90s with insane humidity and car was getting too hot. So I pooled my data and other posted data from EC and it shows a trend of 17-20 points of difference from peak Torque to peak WHP. Also by looking at this chart, torque is 21 pts lower at peak WHP.

Boost is nice and flat, no drop off. HP curve is downright lovely. All this with the damn clamp in the wrong place!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I wanted to add to a little insight based on prior questions about my unfortunate band clamp situation as it relates to the dyno and how it got by us all there.

A dyno pull is a nice but firm acceleration with the rollers loading the wheels across the RPM range. There is no sudden change in load or demand like a hard shift brings. No spikes in boost seen. Take it out on the road or track and stomp it down from a stand still, hitting max shift points, with the sudden rush of boost again the waste gate couldn't react completely. That's why I was always experiencing pull back on the track at the shift.

Why I never got an overboost CEL, I do not know. It puzzles me to this day knowing someone else has seen the code, band clamp was misaligned to block the WGA arm like mine, and may have led to the failure of the WG solenoid that eventually fixed that issue. Yes, I am getting a new WG solenoid too.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Ken I have a guess on why you didn’t get the overboost code. Your P4 setup with the Vaitrix controller allows for you to have more boost than the ECM and 3 bar MAP sensor support. I don’t think your ECM is seeing your actual boost levels.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Maybe why it stayed in it that time since it was just days after the map update and blew. But remember there are posts of me hitting 36 and 40 in the spring before I hit the dyno. It should have tripped a CEL then.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What’s up guys,

So I’m having a hard time finding a tuner in SoCal for Spider.

My previous cars were an MR-S and an RX8 which both use PowerFC so my tuner has always been Yoshiya-san at Neptune Speed. Hey

For my Spider I’m going to get the EC Tuning System, but I can’t find anyone who uses that on their dyno. I know Greg from EC has a dyno for it, but I’m not going to ship my car all the way to NY to do that.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Jaytee
I know it is a bit of a drive, but might be worth speaking with Sakebomb Garage up in Fremont near San Jose. They do have a dyno, own a 124 shop car, and have the ability to tune our cars using the OpenFlash tuner.

They are also well versed in turbos on lots of cars. Mainly RX-7s and Miatas.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The guy that sells OpenFlash is also in Livermore and has experience with the 124. There’s got to be someone in SoCal that tunes Fiats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it is a bit of a drive, but might be worth speaking with Sakebomb Garage up in Fremont near San Jose. They do have a dyno, own a 124 shop car, and have the ability to tune our cars using the OpenFlash tuner.

They are also well versed in turbos on lots of cars. Mainly RX-7s and Miatas.
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts