Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know it is a bit of a drive, but might be worth speaking with Sakebomb Garage up in Fremont near San Jose. They do have a dyno, own a 124 shop car, and have the ability to tune our cars using the OpenFlash tuner.

They are also well versed in turbos on lots of cars. Mainly RX-7s and Miatas.
Supposedly.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Sakebomb/Miataspeed and I still have not received any information about them doing a custom Openflash tune for me. They requested I email them for more information and I am still waiting for a response.

I ran the normal Openflash tune for a year. Then I switched to the Tork tune. I liked the Tork tune more. However, I am getting to the point in my modification journey to where I want to explore different parts and I will need custom tunes for that. Tork has gone completely dark on the 124 and I don't think he would do custom tunes, anyways. I REALLY hope Miataspeed gets back to me very soon on what plans they have for their 124.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is one of mine from last summer on the EC dyno in Tulsa. This was the last 23PSI pull. Upped to 26PSI the next morning and tweaked to about 240whp. I say about because the highest we got captured was 233whp and 250tq but by the afternoon he got a low 260tq but HP was falling each pull as the garage went into the upper 90s with insane humidity and car was getting too hot. So I pooled my data and other posted data from EC and it shows a trend of 17-20 points of difference from peak Torque to peak WHP. Also by looking at this chart, torque is 21 pts lower at peak WHP.

Boost is nice and flat, no drop off. HP curve is downright lovely. All this with the damn clamp in the wrong place!

View attachment 74921
Cal, did EC have any insight into why the car stops making power after 6k rpm? There must be a restriction somewhere. I know you are doing a full rebuild right now. Are you trying to fix the top end roll off with the cams you chose?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
Honestly, I didn't think about it. Pretty much every dyno chart from everything I've seen has trail off at some point, just where and how much/drastic the fall. Getting the curve to what it was, nice and smooth to 6K and then a just a little drop with my redline at 6700 so that's actually a pretty tight shift window. Looking back at a few pictures, the drop was about 10HP from peak to redline. I can live with it. Well, could....

I'm not changing the cam just yet, but looking for some midrange increase to smooth the sag from 4-5K, redline increase, and then moving that curve further up that scale. There is possibly a version 2 of C&B cam coming so I am waiting until that has been proofed out a bit. Greg said the head work has really helped with flow on both sides also. So many changes and upgrades being done at once.

More than anything, I just have to have faith that the guys in Tulsa and Sapulpa know what they are doing.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts