Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Yep even the non FI guys that have ample seat time and experience are beating fi lap times in their NA s2k as they get close to reaching and comfortable driving the cars limits . One of them ( he’s rocking my old 6pt harness now ) lol just ran a 1:54 at buttonwillow with no forced induction on 200 tread wear tires ( a052s tho ) . By the way this was his first time on that track. It’s not easy to find a second on this track and many for years battle to get under 2 minutes for reference. which is still really really hard to do.

The s2ks that I beat I understand I beat the driver and move on, not sure if a driver will be able to push the 124 to the limits the drivers of the s2ks have for a while . I’m hoping to make drastic dashes off my times this year
. @Good-Win Racing you guys planning on bringing the e85 124 to buttonwillow anytime soon ? With the aero now And e85 + Ryan driving should be exciting to see .

I know I’m gunning for a good 157 / 158 this year before adding any additional power. Maybe just a downpipe first to let her Breathe a little better .

Still talking our Summer track schedule. Ryan has plans for further HyperMiata development that will likely dominate his Summer track schedule.

Brian, what’s your take on slightly modded Miata vs. S2K? The price difference when new was less than $10,000.

Brian, what’s your take on slightly modded Miata vs. S2K? The price difference when new was less than $10,000.
Gotta tag him :) @Good-Win Racing

Ryan their driver did a 2:03.6 in their ND on not the best street tires from what I saw in a video .

S2ks also run low 2s I know one did a 2:02.beey lightly modded .

In theory the Nd should be faster , but no one “fast” has taken one yet to prove it . The s2k benefits insanely with aero and once guys jump to it they are running 1:56-1:58 which is really really fast . Nothing really to reference to on the Nd & 124 platform and I’ve only had 3ish full track days at buttonwillow so I’m stilll figuring out that amazingly challenging track . But at the same time my car is super competitive there . Just not picking off the top guys

The s2k is very very reliable at 230-240 wheel horses without FI . A little heavier but good power to weight ratio.

Again the amount of development that’s been vested and tried in the s2k is pretty wild . The 124 and Nd have the potential to be a contender but what’s its gonna take ? And who’s got the balls to drive at that level :D

I will @Spoolin32 ?

Give me a few years ?

For now I thoroughly enjoy my tork tuned daily driver, it really does feel nice.

Can’t imagine when I get it 100 more horsies. However, to really enjoy it I have to sort of wring it by the neck which I don’t mind, it's just a fact. I’m betting the “fun threshold” for the ND2 is lower because it doesn’t need to spool or hit Vtec.

I will @Spoolin32 ?

Give me a few years ?

For now I thoroughly enjoy my tork tuned daily driver, it really does feel nice.

Can’t imagine when I get it 100 more horsies. However, to really enjoy it I have to sort of wring it by the neck which I don’t mind, it's just a fact. I’m betting the “fun threshold” for the ND2 is lower because it doesn’t need to spool or hit Vtec.
You gotta come out to La for a track day and ride along :) hitting corners 70, 80 , 110 mph getting the rear end to rotate , floating it around corners and sliding all 4 while sustaining control >:) man there’s just no feeling like that . 100 extra ponies will put this car in a hyper car category lol but unless you know what to do with it around the bends , you’ll just go really fast in a sraight line , over brake , turn then go really fast in a straight line again & repeat. By the winter time I’ll be adding more power :D I’ll be ready by then and it will be a wonderful thing to experience :nerd:

I like all roadsters, S2000 is a great motor but it is heavier than Miata by a lot. 5k for good NC runner and often about a grand for NC with dead motor. So, it all comes back to budget....and the S2000 is never cheap (some of those fast S2000 guys buy their wheels from us and $50,000 is the FAKE LOW number they told their wife they had in the car, reality often near double that number....and MORE).

Right now I can always get an NC miata for much MUCH less money than S2000. So, if the budget is locked then my hotrod platform of choice right now is NC Miata simply because we can get in for so cheap, and get so far with it. Did my first serious NC build a decade ago, we beat entire fields of Vipers with it, did it just to prove the forum crowds wrong when they claimed the NC would never be fast, some of the lap records we got with it held for many years:

These days the NC build is a MUCH easier deal, drop in a 2.5 or 2.3 (MazdaSpeed 3 Motor) and 200 hp pretty easy normally aspirated, 400+ with turbo. Customer of ours last month at COTA Super Lap with 700+ Hp Miata, turbo 2.3. That's over 700 hp in a miata with a Mazda motor that just about bolts in. Picture below of that customer car at COTA last month, a ton of high quality modification and racing sequential trans but it beat cars that cost 5 to 10 times as much. And we know the potential of NC builds is not yet done, we are going to see faster and faster NC builds.

@Spoolin32 My sister lives in Sherman Oaks and I’m coming to LA for Christmas ?!

Reactions: Spoolin32
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.