Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I was wondering whether anyone has installed the factory OEM wind stop part no 71807609 ?
If you have have you noticed any improvement in cabin turbulance?

The fiat versions seem to have sold out but it looks identical to the MX-5 part which also looks to be a lot cheaper and easier to source
Just checking with Mazda whether the MX-5 logo is etched on the perspex or a a sticker.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey,
I was wondering whether anyone has installed the factory OEM wind stop part no 71807609 ?
If you have have you noticed any improvement in cabin turbulance?

The fiat versions seem to have sold out but it looks identical to the MX-5 part which also looks to be a lot cheaper and easier to source
Just checking with Mazda whether the MX-5 logo is etched on the perspex or a a sticker.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks
Matt
Don't forget to check out:-

Reactions: CXXIV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't forget to check out:-

Thanks looks and priced good. Have you fitted one and if so seen a difference?
Also if you did get one, which one and were there any issues with the big ones putting up the soft top?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks looks and priced good. Have you fitted one and if so seen a difference?
Also if you did get one, which one and were there any issues with the big ones putting up the soft top?
No, I didn't get one. I live with the standard mesh one.

I just recall knowing it was one of MX5 Things products. This site and 21st Century Fiat / Abarth 124 Spider are the first go to sites for new owners/members to explore. All sorts of brilliant stuff.

I'm sure others will chime in later.

Reactions: CXXIV

·
Registered
11 Posts
Perspex and plastic wind deflectors will eventually scratch rendering vision blurry and causing ennoying reflection of sunlight and car headlights. If they break, dangerous and sharp splinters can form.
I found a glass wind deflector in Germany, made of safety glass, like the current car windshields. The wind deflector is slightly higher than the standard one, which greatly reduces draft and noise.
They ship outside Germany.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Perspex and plastic wind deflectors will eventually scratche making vision blurry and causing ennoying reflection of sunlight and car headlights. If they break, dangerous, sharp splinters can form.
I found a glass wind deflector in Germany, made of safety glass, like the current car windows. The wind deflector is also slightly higher than the standard one, which greatly reduces draft and noise.
They ship outside Germany.
You've REALLY got to like that to spend 280Euro!

Looks good though

·
Registered
11 Posts
The one mentionned in the first post initially costs more than 350 BP, which is almost 420 Euros, for a perspex wind deflector!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great options and appreciate the feedback and agree on the glass being best but most expensive option $485 Aussie to the Mazda at $267
The printed one had one piece of customer feedback that said the mounts were not printed that well and hence longevity may be an issue.
I have confirmed the MX-5 part is identical to the fiat, you would just need to remove the logo somehow...

Has anyone actually installed any of these as keen to understand if there is any noticeable benefit?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed the UR Windschott: clearly beats the OEM deflector, way less draft from the back and way less driving noise. Even my wife agrees that it is better than the previous one since the wind does not mess up here hair as much as before.
Installation was a breeze, an easy DIY job

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some great options and appreciate the feedback and agree on the glass being best but most expensive option $485 Aussie to the Mazda at $267
The printed one had one piece of customer feedback that said the mounts were not printed that well and hence longevity may be an issue.
I have confirmed the MX-5 part is identical to the fiat, you would just need to remove the logo somehow...

Has anyone actually installed any of these as keen to understand if there is any noticeable benefit?
No, I didn't get one. I live with the standard mesh one.

I just recall knowing it was one of MX5 Things products. This site and 21st Century Fiat / Abarth 124 Spider are the first go to sites for new owners/members to explore. All sorts of brilliant stuff.

I'm sure others will chime in later.
Hello,
I'm trying to find one of the black mesh wind deflectors. I personally like that look better. I have a 2017 red Lusso. Do you know if they came standard on the car? And where I can get one?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I always thought it standard but I have a UK brochure which doesn't show it and the manual doesn't seem to show it either.

Maybe it wasn't???

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello,
I'm trying to find one of the black mesh wind deflectors. I personally like that look better. I have a 2017 red Lusso. Do you know if they came standard on the car? And where I can get one?
Google "6ld83u0daa". Looks like they're about $105. Summit racing might price match and also give you free shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Well, to answer the qustion posed at the top of the thread, yes, I have installed the MOPAR poly windblocker you were asking about. And here's what I can tell you from having it installed (but first, some photos so you can see what I'll be talking about):

Before:

After:
WindScreenSeatDetail.jpg

The positives:- When I drive with the top down, I have the windows up, and in that scenario, I do notice considerably less wind buffeting inside the cabin than I did when I just had the OEM black plastic mesh in place. It's quite a bit higher than the OEM black plastic grill, and it doesn't have a centre drop down area. So it creates a much better defined interior "box" for the occupants.
  • I believe the MOPAR version is polycarbonate, and if that's good enough for figher aircraft cockpits, it's good enough for my Spider. After three summers of driving, I don't have any scratching issues as suggested by another member who posted on this thread. When I need to clean it, I use microfibre towels and glass cleaner. Works like a charm, and no scratching or abrasion. The MX5 Things verison is listed as acrylic, and yes, that could scratch and shatter. Then again, the black plastic version could likely shatter in an accident as well. Along with many other components in the vehicle, like the seat back covers. Depends on a person's level of risk tolerance.
  • It's mounted very securely in place, and can't be "popped out" like the OEM black mesh. Though "industrial", you can't see the side brackets because they're behind the back of the seat.
  • I can see everything clearly behind me because I don't have a black mesh obscuring part of the view between tthe seats.
  • It's mounted really securely by metal brackets that are screwed to the sides of the backs of the roll bars behind the seats.

The negatives:
  • Cost. It's not inexpensive, and that's being polite about it.
  • The mounting brackets on the roll bar covers and space between the seats is rugged, but Frankensteinish. I think they could have accomplished something nearly as good with less industrial looking brackets. The MX5 Things version is not secured in a similar manner, and relies on double sided tape to hold the mounting brackets in place. I can see both positives and negatives associated with that.
  • You have to drill holes in the covers for your roll bars to install the mounting brackets. If you ever reverted to the OEM black mesh, you'd need to put two plugs in each of the roll bar covers to cover the holes that the mounting screws for the brackets went into. Or, dump another huge wad of cash to replace the covers.
  • It has no center recess (drop), so unlike the black plastic mesh version, if you're short of stature, you likley can't put the top down while seated. I'm 6'2" and I can just manage to get my arm up and over it to drop the top and seat it in place. (The MX5 Things version has two variants.... one that's like the MOPAR version, and one that has a centre drop out).

If you like the MOPAR version, perhaps look in the "for sale" section of the site to see if anyone is selling one. Not everyone likes them, and there might be someone out there wanting to part ways with theirs. Also, instead of PartsWorld, try the dealerships parts department and see if they can get them. Or, try some of the US resellers. Shipping might be painful to get it over the pond though. Failing that, if you want a clear wind barrier, then MX5 Things is a nice alternative, and if it's the only version available, it makes it a pretty easy decision. Also, i fyou go to the MX5-Things website (not eBay), you'll see various versions with and without logos, as well as one's with Abarth, and also illuminated logo options. They'll also produce customized artwork on it for you if you want. I believe it's laser etched, and it's not stickers. Here's a link to the maker's website:
Acrylic Wind Blocker with logo options - Fiat

Hope this helps...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts