Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a picture of a Spider with a different hood? Maybe Carbon fiber?

Curious to see what it would look like.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it looks good!!!

Thanks!

Also, why not? Is the hood already ultra-light???

Miata ND has a ton of AM hoods.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I think it looks good!!!

Thanks!

Also, why not? Is the hood already ultra-light???

Miata ND has a ton of AM hoods.
The factory hood is aluminum.
Not much weight to be saved there vs cost for CF.
Same with the trunk.

No doubt there will be CF replacements someday but they will be factory reproductions or vented for racing.

The hood is styled after the original 124 which never had a flat hood that i know of maybe @Brett67 knows if there ever was one.

·
738 Posts
The factory hood is aluminum.
Not much weight to be saved there vs cost for CF.
Same with the trunk.

No doubt there will be CF replacements someday but they will be factory reproductions or vented for racing.

The hood is styled after the original 124 which never had a flat hood that i know of maybe @Brett67 knows if there ever was one.
The early Spiders DID have flat hoods. As the engine displacement grew, so did the humps.

Notice the difference?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Well I like my bumps :)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bumps make the car different, but knowing they are faux and just for styling over the function of the original is a bit "meh"...

I won't mind having them, but I'm not closed to a sexy vented hood.

Good to know it is already very light.

Thanks for the photos!!!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What could be added to make use of the bumps? Bigger turbos or something? Superchargers usually cause hood bumps, but the BMW M3s have them too.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
The bumps make the car different, but knowing they are faux and just for styling over the function of the original is a bit "meh"...
I understand your point, but in my opinion there's a difference between bodywork for styling (which is done all the time - lots of body lines are form over function) and bodywork done to "pretend" you have something you don't (e.g. a big hood scoop not connected to anything).

In the case of the modern 124, I prefer to think of it in terms of the former. In fact, I applaud and encourage the effort made to style the car so that it hearkens back to the original car.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
To make some distinction from Classica and Lusso , they would be good with the flat hood, while the Abarth would have the bumps.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Corvettes have flat hoods but with “stingray eyes” which I LOVE.

Smooth hood makes it look more aero and clean but since the 124 doesn’t have any crazy headlight shapes/body lines, it would make it seem a bit more normal.

Well, let’s just see what happens.

Good to know that the original was smooth, just in case 😛

·
Registered
383 Posts
On the early Spiders, the bumps were added for clearance as the motor grew in displacement. I know the timing cover of the 2.0 liter motor would interfere if one tried to use a flat hood. Also the later model fuel injection setup drapes over the top of the engine, which even caused Fiat to mount the engine lower in the body as well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Early 124 Sport spiders DID have smooth hoods, this is a '71 as an example, picture pulled from the web.
I love the flat hood look of the early Spiders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There was a custom spider made in Italy that had a flat hood.
Nothing available from the aftermarket yet though and probably won't be.
Couldn’t a good body shop fabricate a flat hood? any guess on what that might cost? I am a fan of the cleaner, flat hood.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There was a custom spider made in Italy that had a flat hood.
Nothing available from the aftermarket yet though and probably won't be.

I did this one in Photoshop and posted on another forum a while back. I like the cleaner look without the center line down the hood.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Couldn’t a good body shop fabricate a flat hood? any guess on what that might cost? I am a fan of the cleaner, flat hood.
It's part of the vehicle's style and what provides part of it's unique look. Removing the retro hood bumps just makes it look more "miata-ish", IMHO. But yeah, a fab shop should be able to accomodate a person if they really have an issue with the look. Speculation on my part, but I'd wager a few grand to get it done. If you're truly serious about this, just pop by a fabricator that does custom car work and ask them for a ballpark. I don't think this is something a regular auto body shop would do, so I'd be reluctant to go that route.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts