Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I wonder if you could put the Miata front end on, if you like the catfish look. How about the back end? You could really make a MiFiata!

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's part of the vehicle's style and what provides part of it's unique look. Removing the retro hood bumps just makes it look more "miata-ish", IMHO. But yeah, a fab shop should be able to accomodate a person if they really have an issue with the look. Speculation on my part, but I'd wager a few grand to get it done. If you're truly serious about this, just pop by a fabricator that does custom car work and ask them for a ballpark. I don't think this is something a regular auto body shop would do, so I'd be reluctant to go that route.
The original spider had a flat hood. The bumps came later And got larger over the years to fit to larger engine with dual overhead cams.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The original spider had a flat hood. The bumps came later And got larger over the years to fit to larger engine with dual overhead cams.
My understanding was that they all had the bumps, but they started out as very small, and grew larger as the engine changed. Go figure. I never owned one of the originals, so I was going from what I had researched on the web regarding the early designs. I stand corrected, and I've now found a better article that speaks to it.

The following link talks about the history of the Spider a bit, and it does show the first production years with a flat hood in the article. It's actually an interesting read, so I'm glad you lead me to do some better research.
Spider Geneology

I still think a flat hood would be a little visually blah. IMHO. But if a person really wanted to get a flat hood made, well.... you can do pretty much anything, depending upon how much you want to lighten the wallet in the process. Ultimately, as long as the owner is happy with what they've built, that's really what matters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My understanding was that they all had the bumps, but they started out as very small, and grew larger as the engine changed. Go figure. I never owned one of the originals, so I was going from what I had researched on the web regarding the early designs. I stand corrected, and I've now found a better article that speaks to it.

The following link talks about the history of the Spider a bit, and it does show the first production years with a flat hood in the article. It's actually an interesting read, so I'm glad you lead me to do some better research.
Spider Geneology

I still think a flat hood would be a little visually blah. IMHO. But if a person really wanted to get a flat hood made, well.... you can do pretty much anything, depending upon how much you want to lighten the wallet in the process. Ultimately, as long as the owner is happy with what they've built, that's really what matters.
I have a 71 Spider and it was the early model with the flat hood until I did a motor swap in it and the flat hood wouldn't fit. I really wanted to keep the original flat hood.

There were 3 hoods. They were referred to as the flat hood, small bump hood and Double D hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Body parts can’t really be swapped between the Fiat and ND Miata. There isn’t room in the ND Miatas front for the Fiat intercooler. The rear quarter panels are part of the unibody. This is why these cars get totaled from minor rear end collisions.

I like the bumps. If they sold the 124 with a flat hood, I probably would have still bought one.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Body parts can’t really be swapped between the Fiat and ND Miata. There isn’t room in the ND Miatas front for the Fiat intercooler. The rear quarter panels are part of the unibody. This is why these cars get totaled from minor rear end collisions.

I like the bumps. If they sold the 124 with a flat hood, I probably would have still bought one.
i had a very strong rear collision and the impact brace wasn’t even damaged. They are toughies actually.

the trunk floor was bent as well as the exhaust heat shield, broken bumper, but nowhere near totaled and it was a hard, 25-30mph rear crash while I was at a standstill

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i had a very strong rear collision and the impact brace wasn’t even damaged. They are toughies actually.

the trunk floor was bent as well as the exhaust heat shield, broken bumper, but nowhere near totaled and it was a hard, 25-30mph rear crash while I was at a standstill
I thought I remembered you saying you had some real issues with the repair work after that incident... wiring issues and some other stuff? Overall damage from a rear end collision would also vary upon the vector of the impact, as well as the velocity.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I thought I remembered you saying you had some real issues with the repair work after that incident... wiring issues and some other stuff? Overall damage from a rear end collision would also vary upon the vector of the impact, as well as the velocity.
cables were mangled but that’s a far cry from getting totaled lol. Physically, it didn't break the impact bar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The bumps on the hood of the original 124 Spiders were intended to signify twin cams. Now, obviously, they only serve to honor that tradition.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts