Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading the wheels on my Lusso. Interested in experience reports from anybody who already went that route: what wheels did you choose, what were your decision criteria, and (other than visuals) how has it affected the ride? In particular, I'm curious what are pros/cons going from the 7 inch wide rims (stock width) to wider rims, like 8 inch.

Thanks in advance!

- S.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I will go out on a limb and say the 8" wheels will give you better dry traction but will also make the ride a bit noisier. you will hear more slap from expansion joints when travelling on concrete interstates and bridges. going from a 16" wheel to a 17 will probably result In a bit of a rougher ride due to the reduced spring effect of a lower profile tire, but a bit crisper handling due to the reduced sidewall deflection under load (while cornering). the major question is really what are you looking for? performance or comfort. also the narrower the tire width, the better the wet performance of the tire. remember the contact patch of the tire is your only road contact. in dry more contact = better. when wet, you need to depend on the weight of the car to force the water from between the tires and road surface. smaller contact patch = more psi to evacuate the water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with the wet statements by rdass623.

Pros:
More traction
Less sliding

Cons:
Less sliding
More expensive
Most likely more noise
Slightly less tire choices
Technically more prone to hydroplaning

That being said - I live in Houston and it rains/floods a ton (Not that NOLA isn't worse). I think your driving style is more likely to make you hydroplane than the tire width. I changed to 17x8 on my BRZ and loved it. The combination of a wider tire along with a higher performance tire changed the car for the better.

I vote go for the 17x8.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree with the wet statements by rdass623.

Pros:
More traction
Less sliding

Cons:
Less sliding
More expensive
Most likely more noise
Slightly less tire choices
Technically more prone to hydroplaning

That being said - I live in Houston and it rains/floods a ton (Not that NOLA isn't worse). I think your driving style is more likely to make you hydroplane than the tire width. I changed to 17x8 on my BRZ and loved it. The combination of a wider tire along with a higher performance tire changed the car for the better.

I vote go for the 17x8.
I have a while before I am in the market for a new set of shoes for the fiata, but when the time comes, I think I will be in the market for a set of TRMotorsports FF10 17x8 wheels with some Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires in the 235/40/17. based on the roads here, I will be keeping the stock springs and ride height, which should keep plenty of clearance.... just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a while before I am in the market for a new set of shoes for the fiata, but when the time comes, I think I will be in the market for a set of TRMotorsports FF10 17x8 wheels with some Sumitomo HTR ZIII tires in the 235/40/17. based on the roads here, I will be keeping the stock springs and ride height, which should keep plenty of clearance.... just my $ 0.02

I have the TRMotorsports FF10 in the 17x7 size with Pirelli pzero+ tires in 215/45/17. I love the styling of the FF10 rim and the 7lb weight savings per wheel combined with the lightweight Wilwood BBK, has really improved the ride and handling. Especially noticeable when compared with the heavy stock Abarth wheels.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have gone for the 17x8 version. I would have gained a bit of weight per wheel (still 5lbs less compared to stock wheel weight), but sharpened up the turn in response.

Now that Tire Rack has a screaming good deal on the 8" rims, it just adds insult to injury.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have the TRMotorsports FF10 in the 17x7 size with Pirelli pzero+ tires in 215/45/17. I love the styling of the FF10 rim and the 7lb weight savings per wheel combined with the lightweight Wilwood BBK, has really improved the ride and handling. Especially noticeable when compared with the heavy stock Abarth wheels.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have gone for the 17x8 version. I would have gained a bit of weight per wheel (still 5lbs less compared to stock wheel weight), but sharpened up the turn in response.

Now that Tire Rack has a screaming good deal on the 8" rims, it just adds insult to injury.
yep, at 129 a piece they are great, but at 600 miles on the clock, I have a long way to go before the need for new shoes arises

1 - 6 of 6 Posts