Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I plan to fit Konig Hypergram 17x9 4X100 ET45 wheels in Bronze on my Spider. I know they fit and clear the Brembos. The car is lowered just over an inch with Progress Technology lowering springs. Looking for tire recommendations. I have no problem with a narrow sidewall as the car is for good weather fun not daily or competitive driving. Think Friday night boulevard cruiser. Also, would wheel spacers be recommended for obtaining the proper stance? Here is a photo-chop of what I am going for:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
At 17x9 with a 45 offset, I’m not sure you will need spacers to get the look you want. If you push the wheels out more, I think you’d need to roll the fenders.

not sure about tires - maybe 235/40x17? They have a slight ‘bulge’ on x8 wheels (tires wider than the rim by about 1/8”), so may have the fit you are looking for on x9?

(Side note: your picture looks more like an 18” wheel though...)

Reactions: TX_Bandit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tire Rack has a wheel to tire fitment guide in the tech help area of the page. 17x9 +45.... I'd be careful and verify clearance between fender lip and also the back of the wheel and the suspension if going wider wheel and tire. Too wide and the side wall will bulge and could rub. Google wheel fitment guide too, there are several "will it fit" calculators out there. Really like the wheel you chose! Good luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
235/40/17 is the widest you want to try to fit without having to roll your fenders. My old 2018 Abarth that I sold to a family member is running 17x9 +45 6UL's and is lowered on the Progress springs. He is running 235/40/17's and has no rubbing issues. The fitment looks fantastic in person.

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,011 Posts
Note that 235/40 works for street on 17x8, we usually only put that 235/40 on 17x9 for track work. On the track we don't care if it rides rough, we care about sharp turn-in response and ultimate grip. On the street the 17x8 with 235/40 looks great and still rides well, it's a massive loss of ride quality for the same 235/40 on 17x9 (which we don't care about for track days but for daily driving most do). Thus, I don't daily drive 17x9 on our Fiat 124, have several sets of 17x9 with race tires and 235/40 or 245/40 sizes but they stay bagged up to stay fast between weekend events. The 17x8 with 235/40 works great for daily and won't beat the snot out of you, and you won't easily curb rash the new wheels.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Note that 235/40 works for street on 17x8, we usually only put that 235/40 on 17x9 for track work. On the track we don't care if it rides rough, we care about sharp turn-in response and ultimate grip. On the street the 17x8 with 235/40 looks great and still rides well, it's a massive loss of ride quality for the same 235/40 on 17x9 (which we don't care about for track days but for daily driving most do). Thus, I don't daily drive 17x9 on our Fiat 124, have several sets of 17x9 with race tires and 235/40 or 245/40 sizes but they stay bagged up to stay fast between weekend events. The 17x8 with 235/40 works great for daily and won't beat the snot out of you, and you won't easily curb rash the new wheels.
I ppreciate the feedback but the problem I seem to be running into is the Brembos. Just realized that neither the Hypergram or the Freeform fit over Brembos. The wheel style I prefer is where the spokes touch the outer rim and the only ones I've found on the GWR site that fit Brembos are the Advanti Racing Storm S1 in 17x9. Unfortunately not in Bronze so I would have to add the price of powder coating.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, meant to type Freeform or Ampliform. Yes, the Hypergams will fit, but not the style (spoke to outer edge) I want.

Powder coating is only damaging to wheels when the cure temperature is higher than the annealing temperature of the metal the wheel is made from. The general range for the typical automotive use aluminum alloys is 250F to 985F. There are low temp powder coats made specificaly for aluminum alloys that have a cure tempuratures as low as 160 degrees. Just use a reputable powder coating shop with experience with alloys.

And yes, I know there are wheel vendors that will void the warranty of powder coated wheels. Don't plan to buy those brands if powder coating is the plan.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,011 Posts
Sorry, meant to type Freeform or Ampliform. Yes, the Hypergams will fit, but not the style (spoke to outer edge) I want.

Powder coating is only damaging to wheels when the cure temperature is higher than the annealing temperature of the metal the wheel is made from. The general range for the typical automotive use aluminum alloys is 250F to 985F. There are low temp powder coats made specificaly for aluminum alloys that have a cure tempuratures as low as 160 degrees. Just use a reputable powder coating shop with experience with alloys.

And yes, I know there are wheel vendors that will void the warranty of powder coated wheels. Don't plan to buy those brands if powder coating is the plan.
You think I have not heard that a thousand times before? Nothing you just wrote makes the choice of powder coating a good idea....when you can just PAINT the wheel any color you like. When a rock bounces from the road and scratches the finish you grab the can and instant touch up is done in seconds...unlike your powder coating choice. My experience on this subject dates back decades and my experience with every brand of wheels you can name suggests you are far better with the easy choice to just paint the wheels any color you like. I have sold thousands upon thousands of powder coated items, and thousands upon thousands of painted items, have built track car from naked shell and powder coated the entire shell with cage attached. There are colors in a can that can duplicate ANY color and finish style you can get with powder coating these days at far less cost, without voiding the warranty, without setting up a fight with wheel maker later, and you can do touch up yourself easily at any time over the years as you will want to do after rocks hit the finish...which they will.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems what ever I say rubs you the wrong way.
Nothing I stated regarding powder coating was wrong.
Maybe you should just click the ignore button on my posts.
And I'll do the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts