Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Abarth 124 two weeks ago. It's my first manual car since I drove one more than a decade ago. I've already got used to the 6MT, but I believe I'm experiencing what's called rev hang on modern manual transmission car.
When I shift from 1st to 2nd, I have few options:
1. short shift around 2k rpm to make it smooth
2. shift around 3k and wait about one and half second for it to drop down to 2k and into 2nd
I know rev hang is by design for emission purpose and I can learn to live with it, but I don't know if it's where I live, my start is always slow if I want to keep it smooth. With the loud record monza exhaust, I feel like the car behind me must be thinking "what this guy is doing" in my 1st and 2nd gear.
I know it can be reduced by tune or diverter, but is there something user can do to make it better?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 124 revs do not hang between any of my gears. Change gears between 4-5K revs. It’s a manual transmission....use at least most of the revs....I very seldom go above 6K but shifting at 2K is just silly. You haven’t even spooled up the turbo yet. Make sure you push the sport button as well as then the turbo kicks in at 2500 rpm. 1st to 2nd will only get smooth with practice....some people after years of driving a stick still can’t do a 1 2 shift smoothly. If you want to play it safe, do all your shifts at 4K, then practice them at 5K, once you get comfortable with it, shifting will become second nature. BTW no need to wait for shifting, if your hands are quicker than your feet, the car will let you know.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Heh. What they said. I've never heard of 'rev hang' before.

While it's not what one would call a high reving engine, you do need to get it up there. You'll find the right spot for the driving you are doing. Nothing happens to the car below around 3k: you may as well push it along with a wooden paddle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You don't want it on the upshift but you do want it on the downshift!

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. It does get better if I shift in higher RPM. However, sometimes I'm just cruising around nice neighborhoods and the record monza exhaust makes me feel like I'm street racing :oops: Not really a bad thing though...

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
481 Posts
I haven't had any rev hang issues even if I "short shift" it like it was a big displacement low rev diesel (for instance trying for super high mpg) though it'd be very rare I'd drive it that way much.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
74 Posts
Thanks guys. It does get better if I shift in higher RPM. However, sometimes I'm just cruising around nice neighborhoods and the record monza exhaust makes me feel like I'm street racing :oops: Not really a bad thing though...
If the Record Monza Exhaust remains a problem for you, I'll gladly swap my factory muffler with yours. I'll even do all the work myself. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Just pretend you're a Harley owner and you're making noise for "safety" reasons. :)

Harley owners, try not to hate me for poking fun at this. My neighbour across the street owns a Harley and my RM can't compete with the noise that comes out of that thing. lol

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I just got my Abarth 124 two weeks ago. It's my first manual car since I drove one more than a decade ago. I've already got used to the 6MT, but I believe I'm experiencing what's called rev hang on modern manual transmission car.
When I shift from 1st to 2nd, I have few options:
1. short shift around 2k rpm to make it smooth
2. shift around 3k and wait about one and half second for it to drop down to 2k and into 2nd
I know rev hang is by design for emission purpose and I can learn to live with it, but I don't know if it's where I live, my start is always slow if I want to keep it smooth. With the loud record monza exhaust, I feel like the car behind me must be thinking "what this guy is doing" in my 1st and 2nd gear.
I know it can be reduced by tune or diverter, but is there something user can do to make it better?
Hi. The issue you describe is exactly the same as I experienced when I first purchased my Lusso. I hated the car...... that was until I installed the GFB DV+. Instantly changed the driving experience. It may be that the OEM was faulty ? Any how, I now l absolutely love my Lusso. Make sure you buy genuine GFB DV+ (if you haven't done so alreay). Expect to pay in the region of €100. Any you see for ~ €30 are fake !!!! Good luck. And change your fob batteries !!!!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I haven't noticed this. Will pay attention the next time I drive my Spider. Hopefully in March!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the Record Monza Exhaust remains a problem for you, I'll gladly swap my factory muffler with yours. I'll even do all the work myself. lol.
Over my dead engine haha
Just pretend you're a Harley owner and you're making noise for "safety" reasons. :)
Harley owners, try not to hate me for poking fun at this. My neighbour across the street owns a Harley and my RM can't compete with the noise that comes out of that thing. lol
As a sophisticated Triumph owner I can't do that lol
Hi. The issue you describe is exactly the same as I experienced when I first purchased my Lusso. I hated the car...... that was until I installed the GFB DV+. Instantly changed the driving experience. It may be that the OEM was faulty ? Any how, I now l absolutely love my Lusso. Make sure you buy genuine GFB DV+ (if you haven't done so alreay). Expect to pay in the region of €100. Any you see for ~ €30 are fake !!!! Good luck. And change your fob batteries !!!!!
Yeah I thought I'd drive it in stock condition for a while then start upgrading slowly... Seems like I'll do that sooner

·
Registered
50 Posts
Evidently I shift lower than most here on a regular basis, but I also DD mine. I have no rev hang whatsoever with this car. I think the recommendation for the diverter valve swap may be a good one.

·
Registered
825 Posts
No need to short shift, wait for revs to drop, or install mods, just slip the clutch a little from 1st to 2nd and the jerkiness will go away. It also helps to maintain at least 1% throttle at all times including during the shift to make it extra smooth because that avoids the jerkiness of going from off throttle to on throttle. I love the manual 124, it's like an art to be mastered.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
No need to short shift, wait for revs to drop, or install mods, just slip the clutch a little from 1st to 2nd and the jerkiness will go away. It also helps to maintain at least 1% throttle at all times including during the shift to make it extra smooth because that avoids the jerkiness of going from off throttle to on throttle. I love the manual 124, it's like an art to be mastered.
I remember years ago there used to be this TV auto review show based in Vancouver. One of the hosts was a bit of a pompous arse (my assessment), but he made a comment one time about searching for the perfect drive, and it hit home for me. What he was talking about was taking a manual out for a nice twisty drive... getting all the shift points spot on and working the car through it's paces. The perfect drive. And that's part of what I enjoy about the Spider. It's such a lovely car, and if you enjoy driving stick, it's a joy as you get to know each other better and better every time you're working together. It's like a dance that initially requires a lot of attention until you get to know your partner well enough, and then the movements become almost automatic (pun intended). :)

Reactions: HaZ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Modern cars with electronic throttle bodies tend to rev down slower then old mechanical throttle body cars. When you let of the pedal with a mechanical it closes instantly as fast as the spring can move it. With Electronic the motor (servo), not sure how they work, has to close the throttle body. It's fast but not as fast as a spring. This causes the revs to feel like they hang a bit. I find this annoying as well.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Nero Cinema
56 Posts
I kept thinking about what you were saying about rev hang, and I don’t think that is what you are experiencing. I have experienced this in my Abarth as well but I was slowing down when exiting the freeway. I believe it is the throttle hanging open so that the multi air system can take over and do what it does. It seems if I coast a long time or am going down hill in gear the revs will change and usually move higher. You can also hear the throttle slam shut sometimes while driving in the city but you really have to listen for it. I only drive with the radio off and am really in tune with my cars so if something is off I notice right away. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts