Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a manual feel a bit of extra "bite" on the 2-3 upshift?

There's a nice crisp notchiness to all of the shifts, but the 2-3 upshift feels like there might be a bit more energy coming back through the stick like it's (for lack of more technical jargon) "catching a tooth" despite the clutch being fully depressed. Haven't had any issues getting into gear, and it doesn't feel like multiple teeth grinding... just one slightly sharper jolt.

Wanted to give it a little bit of time before I have the dealer take a look (still under 1,000 miles), but curious if anyone else has felt anything like that.

While somewhat on the topic, many Miata and 124 online reviews have shown the gear indicator also giving a recommended upshift/downshift. I'm thankful to find my Classica does not do this (it would drive me crazy - thankfully the 500's "shift" light was selectable) but curious where it comes from. Is this one of the extended features assignable thru the touchscreen on equipped models?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only problem I have is getting back in 1st at an all way stop. (=Canada). Not sure if the rest of the world has this but you have to stop and give way to anyone stopped before you. You also have to stop even if there is no soul around in miles...

I really have to come to a full stop and wait a second to get in first. I can get it in earlier, but it doesn't like it. It likes all the other shifts though, no problems here. (I guess that is what an all way stop is all about but I'm still getting used to that.. My MINI was more forgiving here :)

I have a Lusso and never noticed a recommended gear anywhere.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Agreed. I find 2nd and 3rd gears to be a bit "crunchy," especially when cold. I thought that things were improving during break-in, but I am not sure anymore. I have 2,300 miles now.

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
The Miata NC crowd probably has some great advice on our 6MT. I had the 6MT in my NB and it wasn't until I filled the box with Ford synthetic as used in the Getrag box from the GT500 that the 2nd-gear "crunchy" stopped. That oil is amazing ( at $25/qt it ought to be).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anyone with a manual feel a bit of extra "bite" on the 2-3 upshift??
Yes, occasionally. Not enough to worry me yet; I thought it might be me with clutch not fully depressed, but since you've ruled that out, it may be a characteristic. It might go away with lube change.

Reactions: jconli1
1 - 7 of 7 Posts