Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never driven a Fiat before. I'm a Toyota guy who now drives a VW Passat that wants to trade it in. I was looking around and found this

This particular year seems to be a reliable make, but I thought I'd reach out into cyberspace and, at the risk of advertising my mid-life crisis and genitalia size, ask what you all thought of this car.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
The bodywork is manufactured in Japan by Mazda, much of it and the mechanicals are Mazda items (gearbox, suspension, chassis), The interior too is largely Mazda. The engine is Fiat’s Multiair, as long as it is serviced and used it is perfectly reliable. I love my 124, it is the very essence of ‘reliability’, great to look at and lovely to drive, you’ll be very happy with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but this is one of those "low miles but two owners" deals. If it's got under 15k miles and owners are passing it around like a $10 whore, something tells me it has issues.
Also, what's up with this? The dealer pulled the CarFax and nothing came up under recalls, but I've seen this in the forums a few times:

Fiat Spider 124 Is Recalled for Transmission Problem

·
Registered
422 Posts
I’m not sure about the transmission, mine is a manual, but you can check if the car has had (or needed) the software fix, the gearbox’s are mechanically sound (Mazda). I don’t concur with your view on low miles and two owners, that would be a plus for me, but each to their own. If you aren’t sure, don’t buy it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
How many Ferrari's do you see with low miles and multiple owners? Yes, lots. Think of the 124 Spider as something rather more special and not just an everyday runaround, low miles but up-to-date service history and a personal inspection to allay your fears, shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't quite done 7,000 miles in mine after nearly 5 years 🙃 but it's still pretty much in "as new" condition.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I don't know much about the US market, but for a lusso 25K $ and it has 15K miles, I think if you shop around you can find a an Abarth for cheaper Price. Test drive it if you can.
The spider drives well and you get complimented but shop around even if you have to take a plane to get one, your returning trip will be priceless. Good Luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
The price may seem a bit high, but the market is crazy right now. I bought a 2018 Lusso, one owner, 2,750 miles, fully loaded, for $25,500 including tax and license, here in Orange County CA. I thought that deal was lightening in a bottle. You could always have the car inspected to reach a comfort level.

·
Premium Member
2019 Abarth
74 Posts
Price seems very high but of course the market is tight. I would opt for an Abarth with manual transmission unless MT is totally off your bucket list. The Lusso is nice with the saddle interior so overall, you cannot go wrong. Don't worry about reliability....it's fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many Ferrari's do you see with low miles and multiple owners? Yes, lots. Think of the 124 Spider as something rather more special and not just an everyday runaround, low miles but up-to-date service history and a personal inspection to allay your fears, shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't quite done 7,000 miles in mine after nearly 5 years 🙃 but it's still pretty much in "as new" condition.
Same. My 2017 has 2,200 miles. I’m the second owner.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks, but this is one of those "low miles but two owners" deals. If it's got under 15k miles and owners are passing it around like a $10 whore, something tells me it has issues.
Also, what's up with this? The dealer pulled the CarFax and nothing came up under recalls, but I've seen this in the forums a few times:

Fiat Spider 124 Is Recalled for Transmission Problem
I had my ’17 Lusso since new, the only issues I had were self-inflicted (tuning, tracking). Overall totally reliable, beat the German cars I had before it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
FWIW, this is my first Fiat as well; I took the plunge with the reassurance that Mazda built them in Japan; the 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty sweetened the deal for me.

My Spider will be 3 years old in March. In that time, it had the water pump replaced twice: at 4,000 miles and again at 4,300 miles. Turns out the dealer seated the new water pump incorrectly the first time. Other than that, the car has been trouble-free and a bliss to drive.

This is my list of pros and cons:

Pros
  1. Exotic Italian car design
  2. Amazing exhaust sound
  3. Perfectly calibrated suspension
  4. Fun as hell to drive with the top up or down. Love the turbo kick. The manual transmission is soweeet!
  5. The top is a breeze to operate
  6. Excellent assembly quality
  7. One of the lightest vehicles you can buy
  8. Very good fuel economy
  9. Relative rarity on the streets; one of the best kept secrets on the market
  10. One of the best values out there. You will be hard pressed to find this much fun for the money elsewhere.

Cons
  1. The Mazda infotainment system is absolute garbage. It is the most useless, frustrating human creation of the past 10 years —I can write pages about it.
  2. Audio quality is so-so
  3. Limited interior space. Trunk space is surprisingly decent, though. Especially for a roadster.
  4. Dealers are few and far between; customer service is so-so
  5. Parts are already becoming hard to get
  6. Wish it had more power —don’t we always...?
Would I do it all over again?

Heck yes!

·
Registered
422 Posts
FWIW, this is my first Fiat as well; I took the plunge with the reassurance that Mazda built them in Japan; the 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty sweetened the deal for me.

My Spider will be 3 years old in March. In that time, it had the water pump replaced twice: at 4,000 miles and again at 4,300 miles. Turns out the dealer seated the new water pump incorrectly the first time. Other than that, the car has been trouble-free and a bliss to drive.

This is my list of pros and cons:

Pros
  1. Exotic Italian car design
  2. Amazing exhaust sound
  3. Perfectly calibrated suspension
  4. Fun as hell to drive with the top up or down. Love the turbo kick. The manual transmission is soweeet!
  5. The top is a breeze to operate
  6. Excellent assembly quality
  7. One of the lightest vehicles you can buy
  8. Very good fuel economy
  9. Relative rarity on the streets; one of the best kept secrets on the market
  10. One of the best values out there. You will be hard pressed to find this much fun for the money elsewhere.

Cons
  1. The Mazda infotainment system is utter garbage —I can write pages about it.
  2. Audio quality is so-so
  3. Limited interior space. Trunk space is surprisingly decent, though. Especially for a roadster.
  4. Dealers are few and far between; customer service is so-so
  5. Parts are already becoming hard to get
  6. Wish it had more power —don’t we always...?
Would I do it all over again?

Heck yes!
What he said.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m the second owner of mine…5000 miles on a 2018 Abarth. These cars aren’t driven a a lot by some (summer/weekend toy) and can be a third or fourth car, so people sometimes just don’t keep them. For an inexpensive Italian(ish) roadster you can’t go wrong…now my 1979 Fiat Spider 2000 ate starters for breakfast, but that is a story for another forum…and as they say “now THAT’S Italian!”

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 2017 auto, and the 2 years I've had it have been trouble free and quite enjoyable.

I would point out that the red wheels could indicate other non-stock parts which could be a plus or minus depending on your preference for mods...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
White exterior with saddle interior is a pretty combination, and a bit rare.

Yeah, I’d swap those red wheels and get something classier. I’m sure a 16 year old Mazda owner will buy them.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
679 Posts
I’ve had my ‘17 Abarth since new…very, very few issues. Had a bad thermostat replaced under warranty the first year (it was a common issue with the early ‘17s), and had the seat belt retractors replaced under warranty. Other than that it’s been trouble-free.

As for the auto transmission issue it was an extremely rare one that was first discovered in the MX-5s and since our Spiders use the same transmission as the ND Miatas, the recall extended to the 124 ATs. It was nothing mechanical, just a software update.

Two owners low mileage, especially with these cars is not necessarily a red flag. Some folks bought one, and either just didn’t like it, or else it didn’t fit with their lifestyle. I’d check the car carefully but I wouldn’t eliminate it just because of that. The price is a tad high but, as others have said, the used car market is absolutely nuts right now.

After five years, I’m loving the car as much as I did when I first picked it up. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I’ve had my ‘17 Abarth since new…very, very few issues. Had a bad thermostat replaced under warranty the first year (it was a common issue with the early ‘17s), and had the seat belt retractors replaced under warranty. Other than that it’s been trouble-free.
Have you had any more issues with the seatbelt tensioner after they replaced it?

I still have the original one; it stopped working a couple months ago.

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
679 Posts
Have you had any more issues with the seatbelt tensioner after they replaced it?

I still have the original one; it stopped working a couple months ago.
Not a one, and that's going on six months ago. The belts retract more strongly and completely. I don't know what your warranty status is, but the bad thing with these items is that they are stupidly expensive. The Fiat units retail for $1500 EACH! I haven't priced the Mazda parts, but I'd bet they are a lot less and most probably cross-compatible with our cars. One thing that may make them more expensive is that each one has a small explosive charge for belt pre-tensioning in the event of an accident. If you can get yours done as a warranty job that'd be the way to go.

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Not a one, and that's going on six months ago. The belts retract more strongly and completely. I don't know what your warranty status is, but the bad thing with these items is that they are stupidly expensive. The Fiat units retail for $1500 EACH! I haven't priced the Mazda parts, but I'd bet they are a lot less and most probably cross-compatible with our cars. One thing that may make them more expensive is that each one has a small explosive charge for belt pre-tensioning in the event of an accident. If you can get yours done as a warranty job that'd be the way to go.
I’m still under warranty for another 15 months.

I better make an appointment then.

Reactions: AnClar
1 - 20 of 25 Posts