Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Experts at Cars.com has named the new Fiat 124 Spider as the “Best New Convertible” of 2017 and they’ve nominated it for the Best Of 2017 award.

Sure, some can’t help comparing the new 124 Spider to the Mazda MX-5 Miata and pinpointing every shared detail between the models, but the judges at Cars.com were able to look past that and admire the changes that Fiat has made.

The 124 Spider’s exterior design, 1.4-liter’s engine note and drive characteristics ultimately won them over and secured its place as a Best Of 2017 nominee.

“Look at this thing: It's pretty. Next, drop the top, rev the engine, listen to the sweet 1.4-liter engine, find a twisty road and see if your cares disappear with the wind. We're betting they will, and that's why the Fiat 124 Spider is our Best New Convertible of 2017.”

Even without the Best New Convertible award, the 124 spider’s 160 horsepower turbocharged 1.4-liter engine is still winning over customers. In a span of five months, from July to November of 2016, 2475 Spiders were sold in the United States alone and 238 in Canada.

The winner of the Best of 2017 award will be announced in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show and the 124 Spider will be competing against the likes of Chrysler Pacifica, Kia Sportage, Genesis G90, Chevrolet Bolt EV, and GMC Acadia.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree. It gets tiring how reviews keep honing in on the MX5 Mazda on every detail alright and calling it a Fiata. Rediculous! It is a Fiat. My registration papers say so. Fiat simply build on a faundation of a Mazda chassi, interior, a beefed up Gearbox but made it their own by making various alterations / improvements to it in substantial ways to make it an even better Roadster. 🤗

·
772 Posts
To be accurate, the original FIAT 124 Spider was not a FIAT either. Pininfarina designed and built the car using FIAT mechanical bits. It has always been a coach built sports car, not the coachbuilder is Mazda.

It was a smart move for FIAT, probably one of the smartest they have had with the new cars. And they DIDN'T call it a 500!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also agree! It is tiring how the Miata or MX5 Mazda fans keep piggybacking on the Fiat Spider 124 Abarth e.t.c.
My registration papers state FIAT. It is obviously undeniable that Fiat turned the base of an MX5 into a better Sportster. And it is! Because of that MX5 drivers and die hards feel the need to piggyback on the 124 Fiat Spider. I had the choice between the Spider and the MX5 and i am very glad i picked the Fiat Spider. The MX5 does not even have the sound of a sports car. It is quiet like any other ordinary vehicle and it looks to Japanese like with those slid eyed head lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts