Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car finally got fixed after 3 months of being disabled and going back and forth with dealer and corporate to fix it. It had 2 engine failures already both concerning 3rd cylinder problems. Just want to know if its worth it to get the mopar vehicle protection plan or the car would just keep breaking in the future and just replace the car. I got MVP on my dodge durango and haven't used it since.

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
Can you give us more information on the engine failures? I'm not sure what that means, did the engine blow up, or just shut off. Was the actual engine replaced each time? What sort of 3rd cylinder problems.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
111 Posts
Glad to hear it's back on the road! How's it running now? Have you put any miles on it yet or are you working through the trepidation of the previous failures? :(

Can you give us more information on the engine failures? I'm not sure what that means, did the engine blow up, or just shut off. Was the actual engine replaced each time? What sort of 3rd cylinder problems.

Greg
I'd really like the details as well. Mine's a Daily with over 50k miles and haven't had an issue. I don't drive like Granny in it either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Cylinder 3 misfire, performed compression test. leak from exhaust valve. removed cylinder head found leak on exhaust valve. Replaced cylinder head." That's what is says on the paper. Pretty much same as when they did first repair. Now i'm trying to fight for reimbursement on my rental.

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
"Cylinder 3 misfire, performed compression test. leak from exhaust valve. removed cylinder head found leak on exhaust valve. Replaced cylinder head." That's what is says on the paper. Pretty much same as when they did first repair. Now i'm trying to fight for reimbursement on my rental.
That's a great description, I just need a bit more info please. Were there any modifications to the car? How did you drive it?

Greg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great description, I just need a bit more info please. Were there any modifications to the car? How did you drive it?

Greg
No modifications, all stock and I don't drive it crazy. But i drive a lot like 100 miles everyday to work.

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
Thanks, I think I know what the problem is, but I want to talk to my team about this tomorrow.

Greg

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car finally got fixed after 3 months of being disabled and going back and forth with dealer and corporate to fix it. It had 2 engine failures already both concerning 3rd cylinder problems. Just want to know if its worth it to get the mopar vehicle protection plan or the car would just keep breaking in the future and just replace the car. I got MVP on my dodge durango and haven't used it since.
When is your in-service date? How many miles on your car now? What State are you in? Let me know if you are interested? I can put you in touch with someone who sells FCA Mopar Max Care Extended Warranties for a huge discount. This is assuming you are not in FL. Insurance is regulated by State and I think FL is odd about being able to buy extended warranties? Would need to confirm. Good Luck.

·
Vendor
3,244 Posts
No modifications, all stock and I don't drive it crazy. But i drive a lot like 100 miles everyday to work.
Here is what we at my shop think is happening. We think you are burning exhaust valves on number three due to a convergence of conditions. First, it sounds like you rarely drive your car hard, that means it's running lean all the time, the stock tune runs lean up to a surprisingly high boost and rpm level. They do this for economy and emissions and normally it's fine, however if you are driving on the upper edge of that limit and never over it, the exhaust valve and seat areas will heat up a lot. Normally this doesn't happen because you will add enough throttle to richen it up and cool it, or reduce power and cool it, but if it's in that one spot for a long time it will heat up. Even so, that's shouldn't burn up a valve, but it contributes to the picture here. We think you have a low flowing fuel injector on cylinder 3, probably not very low, just 5 percent or so, but just enough so that with the factory tune and driving in just the right range it burned up a valve.

I'm also concerned that when it was fixed they first time they may have put in standard 1.4 not turbo exhaust valves. The turbo 1.4s use special and expensive exhaust valves for this exact reason, but they interchange with the normally aspirated 500. That would contribute to a rapid failure of the number 3 exhaust valves the second time around. It would be easy to put in the wrong valves, they look almost identical, so if the second failure happend more rapidly than the first one, that's probably a contributing factor.

Greg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When is your in-service date? How many miles on your car now? What State are you in? Let me know if you are interested? I can put you in touch with someone who sells FCA Mopar Max Care Extended Warranties for a huge discount. This is assuming you are not in FL. Insurance is regulated by State and I think FL is odd about being able to buy extended warranties? Would need to confirm. Good Luck.

Greg
Glad to hear it's back on the road! How's it running now? Have you put any miles on it yet or are you working through the trepidation of the previous failures? :(

I'd really like the details as well. Mine's a Daily with over 50k miles and haven't had an issue. I don't drive like Granny in it either.
Mine has 57,000 miles already. I love it and how people appreciate how it looks but it was scary to have those breakdown experience twice especially dealing with dealer and corporate and renting a car out of my own pocket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Greg
No modifications Greg, just all stock. and I use it for work and home mostly everyday. I got a Dodge Durango that my wife uses with the kids. I'm not a mechanic but I appreciate all your insights. Did you just say I drive like a grandma? lol! I just drive normally since I think its already too much miles that I put everyday for work and home almost 100 miles monday to friday and every other saturday even in winter. I just switch to winter tires.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rex, The inservice date according to the paper is January 1,2017. i have 57,000 miles right now and I'm in New York state. Please I would appreciate your help. I really love this car and don't want to let it go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Rex, The inservice date according to the paper is January 1,2017. i have 57,000 miles right now and I'm in New York state. Please I would appreciate your help. I really love this car and don't want to let it go.
Here you go. Give Tom Winkles @ 269-385-1116 a call. It might be too late? I think you have to still be under the factory warranty to qualify to purchase a FCA Extended Warranty? Give him a call and see. Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks a lot. Is that the mopar vehicle protection MVP? I got that with my Durango but haven't even used it not even once. But my Fiat don't have it and it broke down big time twice already.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok thanks a lot. Is that the mopar vehicle protection MVP? I got that with my Durango but haven't even used it not even once. But my Fiat don't have it and it broke down big time twice already.
It's the FCA factory Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty. Give Tom a call and he will help you figure out the coverage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the 5 year +75k max care Extended Warranty for my 2017 fiat spider abarth. Now I won't be that scared if it breakdown again. Appreciate all the feedback. I love both my cars(Dodge Durang and Fiat Spider) and don't want to let them go for a honda civic or toyota corolla.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Its running well now. I'm still very scared for the twice breakdown from the past. Now I got the mopar max care extended warranty so if it breaks again, it won't be that much of a headache.

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
111 Posts
How much was the extended warranty, if you don't mind me asking? I'm at the 50k mile mark with my 2018. It's my daily driver, and like you I average 120-140 miles round trip.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
How much was the extended warranty, if you don't mind me asking? I'm at the 50k mile mark with my 2018. It's my daily driver, and like you I average 120-140 miles round trip.
I'd be curious to know as well, I have 18 months and a lot of miles left, but will probably get the Mopar insurance some time before expiration.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tom Winkles sells the warranties at a HUGE discount. Probably close to 40%-45% off. The cost goes up the longer you wait time wise and mileage wise to buy. The cheapest time to buy is BEFORE 12K miles. For example a 7-year/70K-mile with $100/ded is about $990 IF you buy before reaching 12K miles. I think 8-years/80K miles is $1400 before 12K miles. These are the most comprehensive bumper to bumper warranties FCA offers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts