Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Abarth 124 spider automatic that's been acting up. I drive to a destination stop come back to car and it won't start plus the gearshift is stuck in park. I play with gear shift then it finally starts. This was the 3ed time today. Anyone else with this problem ?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
Sounds like the brake interlock switch is going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
First thing.....You are still under warranty so....Off to the Fiat Dealership with you.......They "should" OBD 11, test drive then change transmission oil "at least" if they cannot identify a problem, then, if the Spider still misbehaves, straight back to dealership as you can't risk playing with such an expensive item to replace yourself, nor should you. Cheers
ron

Reactions: Aldo

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second the interlock switch. For the auto-trans the foot brake has to be pushed down and the gear lever in "P" or "N". If the trans gear position switch is bad or out of adjustment it won't start. This switch is definitely a warranty repair item and easy to diagnose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
More info - push the start button twice (instruments light up) without putting your foot on brake. Next with brake on try moving the gear to "N". If the lever still won't budge it's the interlock or corrupt transmission control programming.

BTW, the above trick of selecting "N" is useful for pushing auto cars around in the garage without starting :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts