Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I sat with my local dealer this morning planning on ordering a 2018 Grigio Argento/Alcantara Recaro/ 6sp Abarth only to find out that the Grigio Argento has been replaced with Grigio Chiaro. :eek: :confused:

Does anyone know if the new grey is metalic?

Does anyone know if the 2017 500 Grigio Chiaro (met. Grey) is the same as the 2018 Grigio Chiaro (light Grey) and if it is similar to the Grigio Argento Aluminum met. Or much lighter.

There is also now a Bleu Scurro dark blue.....Wonder what that looks like?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes. :laugh:

but there's a catch :confused:

they'll take your order but they don't have 2018 pricing yet so you don't really know what you're signing up for

And two colors are different and at least my dealer couldn't tell me what they look like

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's a color available on the 500.

There's enough names for different "metallic gray" colors that it seems unlikely they'd use the same name for two different colors.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Guys c'mon get real, we just got the 2017 here in Canada and you are already ordering a 2018, I haven't driven mine much and you're making it OLD. <BG>

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here's a car in the Bleu Scurro:

Doesn't look metallic, just dark blue. Nice color, would look good on the Spider.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a color available on the 500.

There's enough names for different "metallic gray" colors that it seems unlikely they'd use the same name for two different colors.
I ...using common sense ...agree, but...the build sheets specifically call it out differently

Spider Abarth '18 Grigio Chiaro (light grey)
vs.
500 Grigio Chiaro (met. grey)

so thats what made me wonder if the New Abarth Grey for '18 was not metallic after all.

I was ready to think it was the same it was actually the dealer that thought that it might at least be a different tone or not metallic at all.

:(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking at it.... I'm glad I got Grigio Argento while I could.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I ...using common sense ...agree, but...the build sheets specifically call it out differently

Spider Abarth '18 Grigio Chiaro (light grey)
vs.
500 Grigio Chiaro (met. grey)

so thats what made me wonder if the New Abarth Grey for '18 was not metallic after all.

I was ready to think it was the same it was actually the dealer that thought that it might at least be a different tone or not metallic at all.

:(
I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you a definitive answer on that until they actually start showing up at dealers next fall.

From what you're describing, it sounds like the Fiat will be increasingly distinguishing itself from the Mazda in future. They're starting to use actual Fiat colors, rather than giving Mazda colors Italian names. I suspect there will be variations on interior trim as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn't get TOO bent out of shape about losing the Grigio Argento option, as it's likely a very, very subtle difference in hue. The only "solid" light grey I'm aware of in the Abarth lineup is Grigio Campovolo... definitely not something that could be confused with the 500 shown above.

Working for Nissan, I know we've had several paint colors over the years that were assigned various names, yet the PPG code was the same. Paint code QM1 was known as "Cloud White" and also "Avalanche White". That is one of MANY examples.

If the 124 will continue to be built in the Miata plant, then it will continue to use that system's robots (and those are likely calibrated to run specific paint thicknesses). I seriously doubt, given the low volumes of both Miata and 124, that each car has a completely bespoke conveyor/path through the plant. So, the 124 will most likely still use the same paint supplier as Mazda (PPG?) and the only variation will be pigment.

I still think the red currently used on the Abarth 124 needs to be a solid red (something like Rosso Oficina). The metallic (mica) paint looks perfectly at home on the Lusso, but seems a bit fancy for the sportier Abarth.

·
Registered
540 Posts
... it sounds like the Fiat will be increasingly distinguishing itself from the Mazda in future. They're starting to use actual Fiat colors, rather than giving Mazda colors Italian names. I suspect there will be variations on interior trim as well.
That's probably why I will wait until 2018 model....

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have grigio argento, and I think a lighter silver will look great. I also think that Bleu Scurro will look sublime. Reminds me of the Lapis Blue on the WRX's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was sitting with the dealer trying to order an aluminum grey and we saw on the screen that it wasn't available.

The aluminum grey was replaced by Chiaro grey (suffixed by light grey on the build screen)

I like the Aluminum Grey as it has a darker tone to it than the Chiaro grey (if it is in fact the same chiaro grey from the 500/500L of 2016)

And the Scuro Blue was added as well and it seems to potentially not be metallic (like Fiat 500 blue or Lancia Fulvia blue)

The only other change of note was that the herritage stripe was an option you could pick again on the 18's

Mind you, he was saying they are just finishing building the 17s so an order for an 18 won't be available until august delivery

Yes, the '17s are just getting here but if you can't find the combination of items / colors you are looking for then you only choice is hope the last ones being built might include the combo, or order an '18

While I was sitting there he checked every in stock or in-transit 6sp Abarth east of Salt Lake City.

J

·
Banned
112 Posts
Ok, so I sat with my local dealer this morning planning on ordering a 2018 Grigio Argento/Alcantara Recaro/ 6sp Abarth only to find out that the Grigio Argento has been replaced with Grigio Chiaro. :eek: :confused:

Does anyone know if the new grey is metalic?

Does anyone know if the 2017 500 Grigio Chiaro (met. Grey) is the same as the 2018 Grigio Chiaro (light Grey) and if it is similar to the Grigio Argento Aluminum met. Or much lighter.

There is also now a Bleu Scurro dark blue.....Wonder what that looks like?

Thanks,

J
I'd be happy with ALMOST any blau/blue. If it's on the menu,I'm getting it.

·
772 Posts
This is what I am waiting on, the blue is amazing on this car. Benson FIAT has one of these on order with Recaros and Brembos with my name on it (I hope).

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
At least they are trying a bit. But with fun car's like the 124 and MX5, you think they'd offer some bold primaries. Or maybe a retro pallet on the 124.

The MX5 has one bold colour in it's range...red. Then you get a choice of two whites, two greys, a "nearly grey" blue, and a black. You'd think they could be more imaginative than that? How amazing would it, or the 124 look in Primrose Yellow? Or French Racing Blue?

·
Registered
958 Posts
:eek:Honestly contemplating getting repainted in this color scheme since I wasn't willing to wait to order.:eek:
Getting it wrapped in that color scheme, in matte finish would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts