Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have about 20K miles on my car and I have noticed that I am experiencing intermitted squeaking when I back out my car. This mostly happens in the morning when I pull out of my garage. I had the brakes resurfaced about 1.5 years ago and all was well for a while. I have noticed that the squeaking has returned over the past few months. I took my car to the dealer earlier this week and was told that my brakes look good, and maybe I was not driving enough (I am averaging 7K miles/year) to burn off the dust...does this jibe with you?

I noticed there was a thread a while back about the squeaking brakes, but have not seen anything lately, so I am wondering if a fix has been discovered?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Brake squeal is caused by vibrating brake pads. This can usually be eliminated by applying something like CRC Disc Brake Quite between the pads and the caliper or even just using silicone gasket sealer. You also might want to apply a thin coat of brake grease to all mating/moving surfaces on the calipers, being certain not to get any grease on the pads themselves or the rotors.

·
Registered
2018 Lusso, Magneto Bronze, GFB DV, GWR System One with crosspipe
69 Posts
I pulled off all four calipers so that I could squash the source of the squeal. While all four needed lube where the pads contact the caliper, the front passenger corner was the worst. And the guide pins had strange wear marks, probably from severe vibrations. That must be the one that was squealing so bad. Anyways, I cleaned and lubed all the guide pins, not jut the damaged ones. All this seems to have fixed the squealing!

If you are mechanically inclined, it was worth the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts