Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2018, 124 on theinternet, and wondered what I should look for. Are there any problem areas of which I need to be aware? Is the engine reliable? AC, electric glitches? Thank you in advance..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Leaking water pump on 2017s and early 2018s.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is that an easy at home fix? Knowing modern engines I have doubts...😮
No clue. Mine was replaced under warranty at 10k km.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If it’s that new let warranty take care of it if and when it happens. I have a 2018 I just bought new and now have 1500 miles on it and no issues. Other than can’t stop driving it !! Man I’m loving this car!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a 2018 Abarth with 6,700 miles. It had the water pump replaced under warranty at 3,500 miles, and again at 3,800 miles. No more issues since then.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Some 2017's had thermostat issues causimng a check engine light because the car was taking longer to warm up than the ECU was expecting - resolved under warranty.
Some 2017's and - I believe - some 2018 - Abarths had issues with the alarm going off randomly. That was the TPMS in the wheels interfering with the alarm system believe it or not. Only affects Abarths.
Some 2017 and 2018's have had water pump leaks - resolved under warranty.
There have been some issues with blind spot monitors giving random false positive alerts and a few cars with leaky AC.

Overall though, they've proven to be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes, the blind spot monitors on my 2018 Abarth gives a false positive 50% of the time. The used 2017 Abarth with 15,000 miles I first test drove did too. I assumed that’s how they all are.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Auto gearbox had issues I believe but sorted under warranty, luckily...the majority of us know how to use a gear stick and enjoy the bullet proof 6 speed gearbox from the MX5 NC, fitted as standard on our Spiders. Like most folk, my Spider has been well behaved and is expected to for the duration.....of me that is, not the Spider !
For you guys in the USA I understand that there is little difference in price between models.....Classica is quite basic but if you want a blank canvass to play with.....Lusso luxury already on tap and easily adaptable to some great updates, the "Abarth" model in the UK came fully loaded, but the USA model apparently not so if you fancy one look out for it having Bilstein suspension, Brembo brakes, a decent exhaust unit, in fact.....treat these threads as a Uni course as study what the guys say is best before jumping in with your hard earned cash and you will be fine.......Good Luck & Cheers
ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at a 2018, 124 on theinternet, and wondered what I should look for. Are there any problem areas of which I need to be aware? Is the engine reliable? AC, electric glitches? Thank you in advance..
Just do not close soft top with your elbow from inside the car (this is just too easy)!

I did this in the early days and it required new roll over hoops (which got scored) and a re-alinement of the top!!!

Otherwise just go for it. Great car.
Keitu

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a late 2018 model from new ...with only 1100 miles on it as Work often spoils playtime . Never had a problem with it ..BUT.....
And there is always a but . I service the car myself with help from this forum so it may be a bit over serviced . Only fault I found was when the car was built the dif oil was low . A couple of people pointed out that this was also found on some MX5 models . So as ever get the vehicle checked over and go enjoy . I doubt you would regret it.
Pete.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Auto gearbox had issues I believe but sorted under warranty, luckily...the majority of us know how to use a gear stick and enjoy the bullet proof 6 speed gearbox from the MX5 NC, fitted as standard on our Spiders. Like most folk, my Spider has been well behaved and is expected to for the duration.....of me that is, not the Spider !
For you guys in the USA I understand that there is little difference in price between models.....Classica is quite basic but if you want a blank canvass to play with.....Lusso luxury already on tap and easily adaptable to some great updates, the "Abarth" model in the UK came fully loaded, but the USA model apparently not so if you fancy one look out for it having Bilstein suspension, Brembo brakes, a decent exhaust unit, in fact.....treat these threads as a Uni course as study what the guys say is best before jumping in with your hard earned cash and you will be fine.......Good Luck & Cheers
ron
Here in the US, Bilstein shocks and Limited Slip Diff are standard on Abarth; Brembo brakes optional.

Backup camera is mandated across the board by US safety regulations; backup sensors and blind spot monitors are optional.

Also, in US the 1.4 turbo is the only engine offered across all trim levels. The Abarth version puts out a few more HP, but that's it.

All Spiders get the exact same seats; those on Lusso and Abarth come covered in leather. The standard Spider seats are simple but superbly comfortable.

In my opinion, a strange omission was making LED headlights optional on Abarth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2018 has 15 months and 22k mikes on it. The squealy brakes was my only complaint, but that was easy to fix at home.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Here in the US, Bilstein shocks and Limited Slip Diff are standard on Abarth; Brembo brakes optional.

Backup camera is mandated across the board by US safety regulations; backup sensors and blind spot monitors are optional.

Also, in US the 1.4 turbo is the only engine offered across all trim levels. The Abarth version puts out a few more HP, but that's it.

All Spiders get the exact same seats; those on Lusso and Abarth come covered in leather. The standard Spider seats are simple but superbly comfortable.

In my opinion, a strange omission was making LED headlights optional on Abarth.
Based on Best value for money , "including a used Spider"... "Adenzeno" would benefit from all three models, just should be aware what optional extras to look out for already included in the package on offer so that "when" he turns up back here with his new toy he can boast that it has X, Y & Z and all for $.. and we will all be green with envy but pleased that "The Boy Did Well" ! Then he can "Aldoise" & "Apexise","Good-Winise", buy some shades and go cruising...don't you think? 😊 :cool:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Based on Best value for money , "including a used Spider"... "Adenzeno" would benefit from all three models, just should be aware what optional extras to look out for already included in the package on offer so that "when" he turns up back here with his new toy he can boast that it has X, Y & Z and all for $.. and we will all be green with envy but pleased that "The Boy Did Well" ! Then he can "Aldoise" & "Apexise","Good-Winise", buy some shades and go cruising...don't you think? 😊 :cool:
LOL

Indeed. For instance, my Spider had a MSRP of almost $38,000, of which close to $8,000 were options. Fortunately, I didn’t pay anywhere near that.

There are great deals out there. But Spider inventories are already looking skimpy.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My dealer just sent me an email: 0% for 84 months + no payments for 90 days.

It applies to pretty much everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 18 Abarth with just over 1000 miles just had the random alarm go off for the first time 2 days ago. Quite embarrassing in traffic. It's a late 2018 build so It was resolved. I also recently lowered it. But I doubt that would have been the caused. It's probably the TPMS. Will schedule a trip to the stealership one day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2017 had the water pump leak, and is now in the shop to have the washer fluid tank sensor replaced as well as a washer sprayer motor (cracked and leaking). Two recalls but everything has been under warranty so far. I have 13K on mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just do not close soft top with your elbow from inside the car (this is just too easy)!

I did this in the early days and it required new roll over hoops (which got scored) and a re-alinement of the top!!!

Otherwise just go for it. Great car.
Keitu
From closing or opening? I try to open the top from outside the car as much as possible, but I’m always in the car when I close the top.

Larry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts