Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
All good so far on my 19’ Abarth. When cold tranny is kinda tough for 1st gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking at a 2018, 124 on theinternet, and wondered what I should look for. Are there any problem areas of which I need to be aware? Is the engine reliable? AC, electric glitches? Thank you in advance..
No issues with my 2018 Lusso thus far. I got it with 2800 miles in late November and I use it daily for commuting to work 160 mile round trip mostly on the interstate highway. It’s A super fun car to drive and really turns heads. The tech at the dealer told me to use Castrol Edge 5W-40 synthetic oil in it and a Mann 713/1 oil filter. I try to do mine every 5000 miles or when the little oil change wrench icon lights up. Oil changes are important in turbocharged cars. I plan to upgrade the air filter to a K&N unit when I change out the OEM filter. I’m up to almost 12k trouble free miles with my Spider so I’ll give the car two thumbs up. Sure beats driving an econobox with a CVT to work. This is a fun car to drive especially with the six speed manual gearbox.

·
Registered
326 Posts
2016 Euro lusso:

Now on 28k miles
Daily in all weathers
Actual issues:
  • lots of trim rattles early days, all fixed
  • keyless entry issues, was water in the door sensor (common when been sitting). Fixed
  • seems to use oil at 1 litre per 3000 miles, but no leaks anywhere so within the norm apparently
  • after 2 years the underside needed some rust treatment preventer and paint on the steel parts (live in UK by the coast)
Niggles:
  • brake pedal can squeak when cold
  • heater fan can whine a bit when cold
  • the red paint has the robustness of a water colour painting in a rain shower
BUT engine wise (touch wood) and gearbox all absolutely fine, much of the car is aluminium or plastic so stone chips wont rust..

I have modded mine and it's taken them all well. It gets as well looked after as I can but completely agree that some areas have seen cost cutting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looking at a 2018, 124 on theinternet, and wondered what I should look for. Are there any problem areas of which I need to be aware? Is the engine reliable? AC, electric glitches? Thank you in advance..
I just found out that the engine used in my Abarth is also used in some new Jeeps. As far as reliablility, I wonder how many of us are going to put over a hundred thousand miles on our "toys". It probably isn't going to matter that much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From closing or opening? I try to open the top from outside the car as much as possible, but I’m always in the car when I close the top.

Larry
Don’t do it!!!!
My local FIAT dealer was excellent (you don’t read that often on this forum) and replaced the roll hoops and re-adjusted the roof under warranty - no charge although it was my fault.
Try and press the roof down at the rear edge when closing to prevent any rubbing when driving too👍

·
Registered
326 Posts
Either cost cutting or weight cutting...
Ha maybe a bit of both! The poor paint and lack of underbody rust protection is poor for a £24k car. I can live with everytyhing else, especially as the interior is a nice place to be and with some sensible mods its such a good car to drive.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 2018 Lusso with manual and all three option packages has 12k and two oil changes so far. Loving this car. No complaints. Had the top down today and took a hundred mile ride into Long Island. Go for it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Auto gearbox had issues I believe but sorted under warranty, luckily...the majority of us know how to use a gear stick and enjoy the bullet proof 6 speed gearbox from the MX5 NC, fitted as standard on our Spiders. Like most folk, my
As far as I know, the auto gearbox needed reprogramming, I've been reading a bunch of people having problems with the manual gearbox popping out of gear Transmission jumps out of gear.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
As far as I know, the auto gearbox needed reprogramming, I've been reading a bunch of people having problems with the manual gearbox popping out of gear Transmission jumps out of gear.
Hi, yes the auto gearbox was faulty I understand, the manual gearbox is from the Mazda MX5 NC and was / is an excellent piece of kit, the trouble, as in many other vehicles was drivers leaning on the gear knob causing wear therefore damage to linkage assembly. The simple answer was DON'T DO IT ! the fix was/is the adjuster on the gearbox underside needs "tweaking" slightly and that procedure is also well documented and requires two people to fix, one gently turning the adjuster, the other looking down the exposed gear stick to check the clearances.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi, yes the auto gearbox was faulty I understand, the manual gearbox is from the Mazda MX5 NC and was / is an excellent piece of kit, the trouble, as in many other vehicles was drivers leaning on the gear knob causing wear therefore damage to linkage assembly. The simple answer was DON'T DO IT ! the fix was/is the adjuster on the gearbox underside needs "tweaking" slightly and that procedure is also well documented and requires two people to fix, one gently turning the adjuster, the other looking down the exposed gear stick to check the clearances.
The fix procedure doesn't look as simple as you describe it... NC 6-Speed Transmission Adjustment Procedure DIY

·
Premium Member
504 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm guessing you have an auto box and took offence from my offering up the RECALL that was made to "Adenzeno", no offence intended, far more life threatening things to consider right now....Cheers
ron
I do on this car but my Jeep has a manual, I take zero offence. I am simply being factual because the OP had a question regarding issues. The facts are that the autos had a software issue that was corrected through an update, the manuals are starting to develop symptoms of hardware problems.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts