Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only put about 3 tanks of gas in my new car and I noticed that my exterior gasoline door has 2 fingerprint dents in it from where I push it in to release it. The metal is too thin. Silly little dents, but still, it is dented. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I doubt you did this. I purchased my 18 Abarth in Miami last March and when I got it home with 38 miles clocked, I noticed my gasoline lid was wonky looking too. I suspect its from the dealership not knowing how to open the door and they jammed their fingers or thumbs thinking that would make it open up. I plan on taking mine to a shop to fix in the next month or two, its not really noticeable unless you are looking at it at a certain angle. I will not take the Spider back to any dealer. I just don't trust them, never have an never will.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear. I haven’t noticed this on mine.
Thumbs up seems wrong somehow....I meant I agree, my little Sports car has been up and down and pushed about like a fiddlers elbow and "is" well built........

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I doubt you did this. I purchased my 18 Abarth in Miami last March and when I got it home with 38 miles clocked, I noticed my gasoline lid was wonky looking too. I suspect its from the dealership not knowing how to open the door and they jammed their fingers or thumbs thinking that would make it open up. I plan on taking mine to a shop to fix in the next month or two, its not really noticeable unless you are looking at it at a certain angle. I will not take the Spider back to any dealer. I just don't trust them, never have an never will.
Again, hardly a thumbs up.. what I meant was Yes, most likely an idiot who knew not what he was about.....

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I was that idiot til I remembered that it was locked and had to press unlock on the fob!!!
Oooooooooooooops...............!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very easy solution to all: Bend back the locking tab on the gas door. Never have to worry about FOB, or malfunction, or dead battery....bend back the freaking lock tab...apply ever so slight pressure to the edge of the gas door and it opens every time with VERY little pressure. That was the very first "MOD" I did. Take it or leave it.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Very easy solution to all: Bend back the locking tab on the gas door. Never have to worry about FOB, or malfunction, or dead battery....bend back the freaking lock tab...apply ever so slight pressure to the edge of the gas door and it opens every time with VERY little pressure. That was the very first "MOD" I did. Take it or leave it.
That's good to know.....my only concern would be a toerag opportunist thief nicking the fuel, haven't seen a lockable cap yet so interested how you deal with that....Is that why Americans love Baseball so much, as it gives a reason to carry a bat in your Spider ?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Given that all modern cars have locking fuel lids or caps, any low life opportunist thief would not know or be able to tell from the outside that any particular car doesn't have the locking mechanism in place or working. This would inevitably fry their brain at the roadside enabling a speedy apprehension and detention pending a full pardon and comprehensive compensation package along with an all expensies paid holiday for themselves and their family. Everybody wins !!!

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Hmmmm........Yep, agree they wouldn't know by looking but I would know how vulnerable the Spider was,recently tried to get a lockable cap for my VW T-Roc (extra security) the dealership parts dept asked why then said "No such thing available", I went online found one but "Sold Out"!............... I think the bit you missed out Arthur was when the thief claims from you for undue stress caused to him ......Cheers
ron

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have you tried siphoning fuel from a modern car? Getting the hose past the roll over anti spill valve/thingy is near impossible.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Have you tried siphoning fuel from a modern car? Getting the hose past the roll over anti spill valve/thingy is near impossible.
No,my syphoning off days, changing condenser and points and struggling to change a broken leaf spring with just a couple of dodgy scissors jacks are well over...still it's good to hear that the toerags can longer get to the fuel, now...if the manufacturers can just overcome these electronic gadgets that allow these modern toerags to steal your motor from the driveway............Cheers
ron

·
Registered
130 Posts
Given that all modern cars have locking fuel lids or caps, any low life opportunist thief would not know or be able to tell from the outside that any particular car doesn't have the locking mechanism in place or working. This would inevitably fry their brain at the roadside enabling a speedy apprehension and detention pending a full pardon and comprehensive compensation package along with an all expensies paid holiday for themselves and their family. Everybody wins !!!
Leave the car with the top down along with the unlocked gas door and it would be a twice fried brain.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
You mean your Lucas Quickfit days are over too?
Lucas Whatfit....? There's the Lab unit for computer assisted surgery, or, Lucas as in...Bright & Shiny like a Star, not sure either one suits me, more like making use of OBD 11's and ultra low Racing Jack technology.....

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lucas Quick fit were a point set that required no preassembly to install....very popular in the '70s and early '80s for Brit cars before we all discovered electronic ignition...Petronix and such..... although I spent my formative years in the UK, your humor escapes me!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
....my only concern would be a toerag opportunist thief nicking the fuel.

'Petrol' is basically free ;) here in the US at the moment so there's little incentive to steal it (filling the Spider up will be under $30 in most states right now). Once the impact of the government magicing a couple of trillion dollars into existence this week takes hold, inflation may change that situation. Also, a couple of million newly unemployed people won't help.

Strange days.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Strange days indeed. Nobody steals gas/petrol any more, and also nobody steals wheels...throw away those pesky dealer add-on wheel locks!!!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
'Petrol' is basically free ;) here in the US at the moment so there's little incentive to steal it (filling the Spider up will be under $30 in most states right now). Once the impact of the government magicing a couple of trillion dollars into existence this week takes hold, inflation may change that situation. Also, a couple of million newly unemployed people won't help.

Strange days.
Strange indeed. Work (fortunately) and groceries are my only drives. My once a week fill up is now once in 3 weeks. “Safer at home” here in SoCal 😢

Dan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts