Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my red 2109 Lusso known as "Rosie" for a week and am very happy and impressed. I bought it as a replacement for a 1966 Austin Healey that I loved for 18 years but now I'm 18 years older and needed something more modern (safer, more reliable, A/C and heat, electronics) but just as beautiful and as much fun. So far, so good.

I stored the Healey for the six "winter" months so never had to wash it during cold and freezing weather. I'm going to use Rosie year 'round (as long as the snow is off the streets) so I wonder if 124's are car-wash-safe? I see that the owner's manual discourages using a car wash so I'm wondering if any members of this forum have experience safely putting their 124's through a commercial car wash?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I've had my red 2109 Lusso known as "Rosie" for a week and am very happy and impressed. I bought it as a replacement for a 1966 Austin Healey that I loved for 18 years but now I'm 18 years older and needed something more modern (safer, more reliable, A/C and heat, electronics) but just as beautiful and as much fun. So far, so good.

I stored the Healey for the six "winter" months so never had to wash it during cold and freezing weather. I'm going to use Rosie year 'round (as long as the snow is off the streets) so I wonder if 124's are car-wash-safe? I see that the owner's manual discourages using a car wash so I'm wondering if any members of this forum have experience safely putting their 124's through a commercial car wash?

Thanks
This car has an appalling clear coat on it. It seems to scratch if you breath on it too hard. If you take it through a car wash just make it a touch free one. My car has never seen a car wash and I hope never will.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I wouldn’t take a convertible through a car wash, or any vehicle I really cared about.

whilst anecdotal, I went through an automatic wash in an SUV with a pusher bar on the front. It broke off a chunk of the hard plastic cover on the bar and almost ripped off a driving light. While the car wash places do not guarantee performance with aftermarket parts, it demonstrates that the automated places can do quite a bit of damage if they ‘hiccup’.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Commercial car washes are tough on paint and convertible top fabric.
I would go with a “touch less“ car wash, quarter car wash or try the waterless car wash products on the market, similar to detailing sprays.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use touchless washes in a pinch. I prefer the old 2 bucket method with a foam cannon at home, but sometimes the car is filthy and I don't have 2 hours to detail the car. Never had a problem with a leaking top or windows. Just stay far far away from anything with brushes that are full of the grit from whatever off roading 4x4 came through there before you. Those will absolutely destroy your paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Admiral,

I’ve been using a touchless car wash on my 2019 Abarth about weekly. No scratches. I also do a quick post car wash and between washes hit with the Griot Garage range of products - keeps it looking like new (or better).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts