Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duh. Yes, it is a simple navigation system, but I suspect I am not using it fully. Can tell me where to find instructions for using it? I cannot find anything in my Fiat manuals, nor on the internet. :unsure: If you can help, perhaps then I can make use of features not evident to me now. Thanks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nav info is contained in the user guide, not to be confused with the owners manual although there may be some info there as well.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it! Thanks, Bill and Stork! Column 3 of p. 236 through p. 240 of the User's Guide covers this subject. Not sure how I missed it.

And according to the index, UConnect appears on p. 13, but don't see it there and will keep looking. Fiat Connect 7.0 appears on p. 230, and discusses connecting bluetooth devices for music and cell phone calls, but nothing about connecting an iPhone or Android phone to use its navigation apps. Will keep looking for that, too.

Different subject: Most of the information on this 123spider.org website seems to deal with the 2017 models. How does that year differ from 2019 and 2020 models?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
Got it! Thanks, Bill and Stork! Column 3 of p. 236 through p. 240 of the User's Guide covers this subject. Not sure how I missed it.

And according to the index, UConnect appears on p. 13, but don't see it there and will keep looking. Fiat Connect 7.0 appears on p. 230, and discusses connecting bluetooth devices for music and cell phone calls, but nothing about connecting an iPhone or Android phone to use its navigation apps. Will keep looking for that, too.

Different subject: Most of the information on this 123spider.org website seems to deal with the 2017 models. How does that year differ from 2019 and 2020 models?
Uconnect does not have CarPlay or AndroidAuto in it. You have to use the built in Nav Maps if you have the SD card installed or you can purchase and replace the center console USB HUB that also needs to be compatible with CarPlay and then update the head unit's firmware with a tweaked Mazda version.

There is a monster thread all about the CarPlay upgrade if you decide to go that route.

As for models years, they are all the same other than some Abarth badging after a certain point on the 18s. Board has been around since their release so the majority would be 16-18 owners, the 19-20s are starting to trickle in though.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Calehedron. I have owned my new Fiat 124 Spider for about a week, so I am still struggling to learn its features. I do have the Nav SD card installed, and thanks to Bill and Stork above, now have the reference documentation to figure out the nav system. It is not like any other I have owned in my cars. But if it proves inadequate to my needs, I will pursue the solution you mention. Now, if only someone will tell me which pedal is the gas, and which is the brake!

·
Registered
211 Posts
In general I like the UI when a destination is already entered, like detailing which lane to take for an exit. However, entering a destination is cumbersome, the POI database is woefully outdated, and voice commands are limited. I used Google Maps/Waze for several years prior to this car and am spoiled with the voice commands and real-time data.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In general I like the UI when a destination is already entered, like detailing which lane to take for an exit. However, entering a destination is cumbersome, the POI database is woefully outdated, and voice commands are limited. I used Google Maps/Waze for several years prior to this car and am spoiled with the voice commands and real-time data.
I use the installed system by TomTom when I drive my wife's car, and I used a Garmin 2797 after-market GPS in the car I traded in for my Fiat. Both were OK. I need to spend some time with my Fiat's GPS system before I can compare.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I use the installed system by TomTom when I drive my wife's car, and I used a Garmin 2797 after-market GPS in the car I traded in for my Fiat. Both were OK. I need to spend some time with my Fiat's GPS system before I can compare.
The nav system in our cars is quirky, without a doubt, and not overly intuitive in some aspects. That said, it does what I need it to do, but that's based on three summer's of driving experience using it. Regarding the head unit replacement that would support iPhone or Android connectivity using CarPlay or AndroidAuto, if memory serves, there's also a software emulation that can be run on the factory head unit. A bit cumbersome for starting it up for use, but if you want CarPlay or AndroidAuto and don't want to do a head unit swap, it's an option. Perhaps others on the forum who've run the software emulation version of it can speak to it's ease of use... or lack thereof.

As you're a new owner, and new to the forum, I also highly recommend a couple of other sites created and maintained by other members of the forum. BillaVista has some great content regarding fast and easy mods you can make to your vehicle. Ameridan has an extensive blog site that details tonnes of useful specs and other related information that pertains to our cars. I've used both sites extensively over the past three years and highly recommend adding them to your browser bookmarks. Here are the links to both sites:
BillaVista
Ameridan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts