Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might have been a long time since I was the service director for a major automobile group but it did teach me a thing or two. My wife and went car shopping the other day and found a beautiful 2017 Spider Abarth for sale at a local major chain. Even though there was no sold sticker on the car, it turns out it was sold. It hit our hot button enough to investigate the model further. Long story short we found a 2020 for a great deal in Cary North Carolina about 250 miles from home. On the way home, about 175 miles into our trip, we stopped off for a cold drink. When we cranked back up And began to accelerate onto the highway, it started skipping and the check engine light flashed. The check engine light went away and it low speeds or should I say low RPM, it drove great. I got home put my OBDII Scan tool on it and there were no set codes. I began to think it was definitely the coil packs that so many of you talk about. I went as far as pulling the coil packs off and looking for track marks but everything looked normal. I began to remove the number one NGK spark plug and it was so tight I decided not to mess with it any further that night. Well, it Bothered me even more the next day so I went back in and put more force on the spark plugs and pulled them out. They were tight as any I鈥檝e ever seen. I noticed the number four plug was a little darker than the rest. I called about three automobile parts stores and found the plugs I needed for $13.99 each. I figured what the heck, I may as well try it. Low and behold to the number for spark plug was bad and it accelerates perfectly now. So, if any of you brand new low mileage owners have a skipping problem under hard acceleration, it just might be a faulty spark plug馃憤I鈥檓 just relieved not to have to wait at a dealer and for 60 bucks my problem was resolved.

Registered
2017 124 Classica
Yes, these engines are hard on plugs. They often need replaced every 30,000 miles, and more often depending upon conditions.

Registered
No issues at this point with my 2020 Abarth 124 Spider purchased this past September and stored 5 months over winter. Thanks for posting your experience, always good to be able to add to the knowledge bank. Glad your issue was relatively minor and that you were able to remedy it in short order.

Congratulations on your new 124 Spider!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No issues at this point with my 2020 Abarth 124 Spider purchased this past September and stored 5 months over winter. Thanks for posting your experience, always good to be able to add to the knowledge bank. Glad your issue was relatively minor and that you were able to remedy it in short order.

Congratulations on your new 124 Spider!
You can only imagine how many times this new vehicle was cranked up and moved around the lot with so many short engine run episodes and not fully warming up to proper temperature.
from what I know about engines, that is hard on any of them and if this particular motor is pretty rough on spark plugs, you can only imagine this is not good. I am so glad that I was able to rectify the situation without visiting the dealer and having the possibility of a brand new technician not knowing what he was doing and ordering parts and so forth and being down for weeks. All is well that ends well.馃憤

Registered
GONE18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
A++ on the new Spider. Even better on the easy fix for the issue. 馃憤

Registered
My guess is you hit the torque limiter and caused it to go into limp mode. This car has a very low max load rating, only 300 lbs occupant + cargo if I recall. If you accelerate quickly up a hill, accelerate with two people in the car, or go up a hill with two people in the car, or worst case, accelerate up a hill with two people in the car, you can hit the limiter.

Registered
My guess is you hit the torque limiter and caused it to go into limp mode. This car has a very low max load rating, only 300 lbs occupant + cargo if I recall. If you accelerate quickly up a hill, accelerate with two people in the car, or go up a hill with two people in the car, or worst case, accelerate up a hill with two people in the car, you can hit the limiter.
?????????
Toque limiter?
Is that the gizmo right next to the blinker fluid reservoir?

Registered
I also periodically have the skipping issue under hard acceleration. Usually around 4500 RPM. I'll have to take a look at the plugs. Did you replace with the same brand and P/N or use something else?

Registered
What does a torque limiter protect?
  • Transmission
  • Differential
  • Driveshaft
  • Halfshafts
  • Tires
  • Road surface
  • The environment

Registered
  • Transmission
  • Differential
  • Driveshaft
  • Halfshafts
  • Tires
  • Road surface
  • The environment
The torque limiter protects all of the above, along with:
鈥 The infotainment center volume knob
鈥 The hand/emergency brake release button
鈥 The Air Bag indicator light
鈥 The center console lid hinges
鈥 The sun visor vanity mirror covers
鈥 The tow hook plugs
AND the one hidden within the 124 Spider is self cleaning and self sustaining.
:rolleyes:

Registered
I鈥檓 pretty sure the issue is electronic or software related. The car is almost brand new so it鈥檚 unlikely to be bad plugs. Bad plugs should also cause a CEL.

Sometimes if you push the car too soon after startup it will do this too. Usually there is no CEL code for this.

Anyway I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 a serious issue, unless it鈥檚 repeatable. More likely than not it鈥檚 just a random hiccup.

Registered
  • Transmission
  • Differential
  • Driveshaft
  • Halfshafts
  • Tires
  • Road surface
  • The environment
Pretty much. The 8GMK is quite odd for having this feature.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also periodically have the skipping issue under hard acceleration. Usually around 4500 RPM. I'll have to take a look at the plugs. Did you replace with the same brand and P/N or use something else?
I used the NGK that comes stock. $13.99 each at Advance Auto

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I鈥檓 pretty sure the issue is electronic or software related. The car is almost brand new so it鈥檚 unlikely to be bad plugs. Bad plugs should also cause a CEL.

Sometimes if you push the car too soon after startup it will do this too. Usually there is no CEL code for this.

Anyway I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 a serious issue, unless it鈥檚 repeatable. More likely than not it鈥檚 just a random hiccup.
A cracked insulator on my #4 plug caused really bad skipping upon acceleration and even tho the CEL flashed a couple times, it set no codes.

Registered
Speaking of bad plugs, be careful out there of a rising tide of fakes and counterfeits, especially platinum or iridium center electrode plugs.

Upper; fake NGK with center electrode eroded away. Lower: new, genuine NGK

Registered
It might have been a long time since I was the service director for a major automobile group but it did teach me a thing or two. My wife and went car shopping the other day and found a beautiful 2017 Spider Abarth for sale at a local major chain. Even though there was no sold sticker on the car, it turns out it was sold. It hit our hot button enough to investigate the model further. Long story short we found a 2020 for a great deal in Cary North Carolina about 250 miles from home. On the way home, about 175 miles into our trip, we stopped off for a cold drink. When we cranked back up And began to accelerate onto the highway, it started skipping and the check engine light flashed. The check engine light went away and it low speeds or should I say low RPM, it drove great. I got home put my OBDII Scan tool on it and there were no set codes. I began to think it was definitely the coil packs that so many of you talk about. I went as far as pulling the coil packs off and looking for track marks but everything looked normal. I began to remove the number one NGK spark plug and it was so tight I decided not to mess with it any further that night. Well, it Bothered me even more the next day so I went back in and put more force on the spark plugs and pulled them out. They were tight as any I鈥檝e ever seen. I noticed the number four plug was a little darker than the rest. I called about three automobile parts stores and found the plugs I needed for $13.99 each. I figured what the heck, I may as well try it. Low and behold to the number for spark plug was bad and it accelerates perfectly now. So, if any of you brand new low mileage owners have a skipping problem under hard acceleration, it just might be a faulty spark plug馃憤I鈥檓 just relieved not to have to wait at a dealer and for 60 bucks my problem was resolved.

Registered
Interesting..I have this same issues only when in tune and hot outside. And in 3-6th (man trans) I had it with stock Plugs and continue to have the issue with NGK plugs now. Basically it did it stock with Tunes (EC and Tork) -
Initially I started to add the following one by one to determine where the issue may be.

GFB
Tork FMIC
NGK plugs
Turbo Smart WG
EC V4
Alfa 4C Coils
Started in April 2019
Only way to elevate us run stock tune in warmer temps and switch over to performance tune in cooler weather鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Speaking of bad plugs, be careful out there of a rising tide of fakes and counterfeits, especially platinum or iridium center electrode plugs.

Upper; fake NGK with center electrode eroded away. Lower: new, genuine NGK

I hear the NipponDenso plugs work also..... anybody got any info on this?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts