1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...I am fixated on tires right now.

225/45 17 seems to be a hot topic on the MX5 forums. Here is why

1. Lots of great tire options...more than any other for our car I believe
2. A great combination for performance that still maintains some comfort for high performance street driving
3. Good noise levels
4. Fits a wide range of rims widths. 7.5 - 9. So more wheel options
5. Fills the wheel wells better
6. Only 2.9% larger in circumference than stock
7. This size has been used on MX5 Cup cars

I have not seen this discussed much. I am looking for that great road tire that can handle the twisty mountain roads here is Colorado, deal with some sand and gravel as I posted yesterday, be up for some road trips, last a little longer than a super soft compound option at 235/40 17. Etc

Open for discussion

Cheers!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bulldog ...several years ago I had the Yokohama S-Drives in 225 on my NC Miata. That tire I did not like for road noise ...THEY looked great, but jeez they were noisy. I went later with 215 Continental DWS's ...very quiet.

·
Administrator
2,021 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went with 225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL tires on 17x8 6UL Tungsten Wheels. Very happy with the look and also the feel of the tire plus no road noise (I also have the goodwin exhaust that may be blocking some tire noise). I have had no issue at all with rubbing with the 225/45 but I kept the Abarth suspension as is... if you lower the car you may have issues.

I will say that sticky tires do take some of the "fun" out the the experience. This is the ride that I wanted and I'm have a blast on the roads but no chirping the tires or even any drifting. Kinda just stuck to the road with no slippage. My wife thinks she could drive the car upside down and it would still stick.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with 225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL tires on 17x8 6UL Tungsten Wheels. Very happy with the look and also the feel of the tire plus no road noise (I also have the goodwin exhaust that may be blocking some tire noise). I have had no issue at all with rubbing with the 225/45 but I kept the Abarth suspension as is... if you lower the car you may have issues.

I will say that sticky tires do take some of the "fun" out the the experience. This is the ride that I wanted and I'm have a blast on the roads but no chirping the tires or even any drifting. Kinda just stuck to the road with no slippage. My wife thinks she could drive the car upside down and it would still stick.

Thanks!

Any side views?

How does the wheel match the Abarth gray parts?

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Related post

See post below,
The case against grip.
You can put too much tire on our car.
Best regards
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts