Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped into my first autocross this weekend with the Madison Sport Car Club (MSCC) at Jefferson speedway, these are all places in Wisconsin. And I had a blast!

The event was "Autocross Driving School" and here's how the day went:
1. They split the 22 drives into 2 groups.
2. My group was taught how to tech our car, along with tips about how to prepare for a day of racing, what to bring and how a typical autox event runs.
3. We went into the classroom where we learned how to work the track, assess penalties and radio them in, and then some light racing theory and the basic smooth is fast.
4. A training course was set up: it began with a starting gate, an optional slalom, long left hand around the bank of the track, a final slalom and a stop box. This session was not timed, it was just to get aquatinted with your car, what cones mean and there was always and instructor in the car with us to help us out. My group worked first, after 6 runs each car we switched.
5. Unofficial lunch break while the instructors set up the timed autox course. It was set up in a figure 8 so we had some high speed corners, 30-40mph, slaloms and really tight gates and corners at the end. I worked the first heat then we got our 6 runs.
6. They printed out times and handed out trophies then the instructors jumped into their cars and we jumped in shotgun to see how fast this course could really go! One of the instructors had a race prepared NB Miata, and boy was he fast around that course!
7. After riding in the Miata and a Nissan Sentra I jumped back in the ABARTH and took 2 more laps. Timer was not going, so didn't know how fast it was, but it was seat time so I took it!

Overall it was and awesome experience and the MSCC overall is very relaxed and I felt that I could approach anyone with any question throughout the day. I don't know how common these "autocross school" day's are, but I am glad I came out to this one.

I will definitely be joining them for a couple more events this year and I will post all about them here. I didn't take a whole lot of photos during the day, but here are the ones I snapped.

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
I am really happy to hear you had your Abarth at an autocross. I think as time goes on, we will see more and more of these cars at motorsports events.

Greg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had my second Autocross this weekend, and again, so much fun!

It was with the same club, at the same venue, but obviously a different set up. The only thing that has really changed is that I am no longer in CS class, I'm in CP which puts me with two M3's a 350Z and a NC Miata driven by a great guy named Andy.

I'm in the C Prepared class because the tires FIAT put on the Abarth has a tread wear of 140 making it a "Specialty compound", 3 points and now I'm Prepared going against cars with coil-overs and big sticky tires.

Excuses aside, I had fun and I did beat a ND Miata that's in the CS class. I took last in the CP class and 35th overall. I obviously have a lot to learn and I look forward to improving my standing.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in the C Prepared class because the tires FIAT put on the Abarth has a tread wear of 140 making it a "Specialty compound"
Wow. Someone is being a REAL stickler for conflicting rules at that club.

According to SCCA:

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/022/214/2017-06-07-appendix-A-automobile-classes.pdf

Street Class
13.3.A.1
Minimum UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/019/008/2017-01-17-section-13-street-category.pdf

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Someone is being a REAL stickler for conflicting rules at that club.
IDK if I would say "REAL stickler". There are car out there with treadwear under 200 from the factory and the club decided to go by the printed numbers on the tires, regardless of OEM or after market. It's just unfortunate that these Bridgestone's are rated where they are because they really seem to grip more like a 260 or 300... it is what it is, I'll just burn through these tires and get new ones sooner then later.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's crazy. I thought with all the Street Touring and other classes available now, they'd have a better place than CP to dump you. CP is for very well prepared not-street-legal cars.

They didn't have any of those kinds of classes when I raced my Neon, which is why we went from DS (D- Stock, what they called it at the time) to DM (D-Modified, 2.0L and under production cars and a few kit cars thrown in just to be unfair).

When I started autocrossing our124 this year, I just started out in DM. Now I won't have to worry about being in last place in 3 or 4 different classes as the year goes on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well gosh the 2018 autocross season is well on its way and I have had ZERO updates here!

First of all I got rid of the OEM Potenza's and put on some Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires. I love them! They have more grip then the Bridgestone's AND, more importantly, they are tread-wear above 200. I'm in C stock class now! I did do a muffler delete back in March so the car sounds a lot better now too. There have been 3 events this year already and I have won my class in all 3. I've gone up against a Z3, BRZ's & ND Miata's.

Here's one of 3 videos I posted to YouTube from the event that was on 6-24.
https://goo.gl/kLgAvb
My next event will be July 22nd.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IDK if I would say "REAL stickler". There are car out there with treadwear under 200 from the factory and the club decided to go by the printed numbers on the tires, regardless of OEM or after market. It's just unfortunate that these Bridgestone's are rated where they are because they really seem to grip more like a 260 or 300... it is what it is, I'll just burn through these tires and get new ones sooner then later.
Actually your region needs to re read the SCCA rules on Street Category tires (page 64).
"C. Other
1. Any tire which is OE on a car eligible for Street Category may be used on
that car in Regional Solo® events. OE tires must meet all requirements
of Section 13.3 to be eligible for National Solo® events."
So if your tire was Original Equipment on your car (which the Bridgestone was) you were perfectly legal to run in CS in a regional event, just not at a National event.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome results! Do you plan to stay in stock / street class, or tinker with the car and get into the more modified classes?
I plan on staying in the stock class. I worry about the warranty once I start adding suspension, tuning, intercoolers. The next thing this car needs is dedicated AutoX wheels & Tires. I love the Continentals I put on this year, but a light wheel & 200 treadwear "autocross hero" tires would be great. But thats a BIG maybe for 2019, will probably happen in 2020.

I've seen your Lil Mamba build and there are a lot of things one can do to this car. Anything else I should "wish" for, while remaining in street class?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Awesome results! Do you plan to stay in stock / street class, or tinker with the car and get into the more modified classes?
I plan on staying in the stock class. I worry about the warranty once I start adding suspension, tuning, intercoolers. The next thing this car needs is dedicated AutoX wheels & Tires. I love the Continentals I put on this year, but a light wheel & 200 treadwear "autocross hero" tires would be great. But thats a BIG maybe for 2019, will probably happen in 2020.

I've seen your Lil Mamba build and there are a lot of things one can do to this car. Anything else I should "wish" for, while remaining in street class?

Even though the stock suspension is amazing and confidence inspiring I would say add a good set of coil overs to the list ? after I finish writing this I’m going to look into autox as I’ve never participated but hearing more and more about it lately. seems like a blast and I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks for the inspiration ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dan!

So I have been lurking on this forum for a bit and seein your page made me want to register! I am looking to buy a 124 spider to build as an autocross car.

The deal with your tires shouldnt be a problem but MSCC does have different rules to the SCCA that I run with. There yes since its a "140" tread wear tire but its also the OE tire and for stock classes that is legal from what i remember. it doesn't really matter because the 200tw tires like the bridgestone re71r, the bfg rival s are faster anyway.

If you are interested come out and join us next month at miller park!
http://scca-milwaukee.org/solo/solo-events/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts