Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would stick with the main dealer for the 2nd year service ...Price £351 (UK) car has 12500 miles on it.
The service receipt has on it ....

Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil x 5L and a filter.Nothing else??... This oil I can get for less than £30. I thought the 2nd service was more than just an oil change. I feel like I have been totally ripped off...Since when was Fuchs oil put in the Abarth by a main dealer? I thought it was Petronas Selenia ??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no sign of anything but an oil change and checks on my print out from the dealer. I didn't buy the car new this was the first dealing I had with this garage.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Geez!

I bought, from my local Fiat dealer, a pre-paid package of five oil changes for $250...total.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is why I never use Main Dealers.
I use independent local family owned (40 +years) franchised Fiat dealer..... LC Motors, Newport, South Wales.
Given that you'll probably never use your Main Dealer again, I'd be asking them in very strong language... why they did not replace the brake fliud as per the Service Schedule ?. And how they calculated the price they charged you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I thought I would stick with the main dealer for the 2nd year service ...Price £351 (UK) car has 12500 miles on it.
The service receipt has on it ....

Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 Synthetic Engine Oil x 5L and a filter.Nothing else??... This oil I can get for less than £30. I thought the 2nd service was more than just an oil change. I feel like I have been totally ripped off...Since when was Fuchs oil put in the Abarth by a main dealer? I thought it was Petronas Selenia ??

wow I feel violated and it wasn't to me that is really expensive

Reactions: Goaterguy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems I did get a brake fluid change as well as the cheap oil. Only feel semi ripped off now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
This is why I never use Main Dealers.
I use independent local family owned (40 +years) franchised Fiat dealer..... LC Motors, Newport, South Wales.
Given that you'll probably never use your Main Dealer again, I'd be asking them in very strong language... why they did not replace the brake fliud as per the Service Schedule ?. And how they calculated the price they charged you.
The only plus point is a full main dealer service history may give you a stronger position when trading in your car. It won't make up for the over the top main dealer prices though.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Live and learn eh. I wouldn't go to the main dealer either.....They quoted £350 to fit Sat Nav to my Classica, I bought an FIAT 124 Spider SD card (NOT MX5) off ebay about £28, slotted it in and hey presto Sat Nav ! A fellow member here suggested upgrading my front light bulbs, so I rang the dealership service dept to enquire about best access....was told it was a complicated job that needed the Spider to be left with them ? bulb change....so, posted it here and within an hour thanks to CDPond....I had changed out both sides bulbs. Like Arthur I use a local trusted family garage and 17 years no problems ever, they know I do most of my own work, I have borrowed special tools from them, actually worked at the garage myself on rebuilding my Land Rover using their equipment. Best advice, find and start a relationship with one of many good local independants and you will be fine...Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
The only plus point is a full main dealer service history may give you a stronger position when trading in your car.
Not at all....I always buy ex demos (including the Spider) look after my vehicles and ALWAYS get TOP MONEY when trading or full asking price on ebay. Your local garage MUST STAMP the book and indicate service done using Manufacturers recommended parts...end of ! Buy the parts off ebay and use the oil of your choice, I always use correct filters and Mobil 1..one thing....FULLY SYNTHETIC a MUST ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
351 is mad. Even for a dealer!

2nd service is air filter and brake fluid on top of oil etc. Or it should be.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hm wierd. Dealer did mine on second service before I started doing them myself. Freebie from a dealer..I'll take it ! Haha

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hm wierd. Dealer did mine on second service before I started doing them myself. Freebie from a dealer..I'll take it ! Haha
Your dealer was supposed to do the cabin air filter , not the engine air filter at two years !!! No worries though as it's best not to mess with the cabin air filter ( better to hoover it out from the top). In fact Mazda issued a TSB shortly after launch of the ND to remove the need to replaced the cabin air filter.... which is infact more of a sieve than a true filter !!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
If they charged you for 5 liters of oil, you have a couple of additional problems:

1. The oil capacity is 4 liters so they've over charged you.
2. If they are dumb enough to have tried to put five liters in, they will have over filled the oil and these cars really don't like that - I'd check your oil level immediately.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your dealer was supposed to do the cabin air filter , not the engine air filter at two years !!! No worries though as it's best not to mess with the cabin air filter ( better to hoover it out from the top). In fact Mazda issued a TSB shortly after launch of the ND to remove the need to replaced the cabin air filter.... which is infact more of a sieve than a true filter !!!
I read on here somewhere that they dropped the cabin filter off the 2 year service.

·
Registered
2017 Nero Cinema Abarth M/T
92 Posts
You can definitely save a good amount of money doing the cabin air filter yourself. It looks scary but it only took me a half an hour and I was just using this video to guide me. I just removed the filter, washed it in the house, and replaced it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@Arthur yep that's likely it

I did the cabin filter this weekend just gone as I had the panel off anyway. It's not too bad and the filter was a disgrace haha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Moat extensive in cabin air filter replacement I have ever seen! I wonder why we don't have a glove box in front of the filter like most cars? Would make access much easier!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts