Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone lowered their car and put 30mm Spacers on the stock Abarth rims? If so, could you share a photo please? I almost feel like they should be a must.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
is that 20mm each side because even that is a big offset change?

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Even if I were allowed to (and i can't because it's illegal to fit spacers here in Aus) I don't know I'd go much past about 10mm per side. Surely there has to be a point where you are messing with the geometry?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Please have a look first on the design of +15mm spacers. Not the cheap crap what you can buy for 50$.

A 8" wide wheel with 40mm offset would be the best, but who tells Abarth and FCA?

Btw.
Also Porsche use spacers on their cars. ;)

But it is true: spacers have a negative impact on the scrub radius. If you can avoid them, go for it.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
We carry German made Eibach spacers. Not cheap, but very good. However, my thinking is that if you get wheels with the offset you want you really shouldn't need them. I know in some cases spacers are just fine, but personally I would rather do without them.

Greg

·
Registered
449 Posts
H&R, Eibach, IL Motorsport are good products and you don't stress the struds with them, because over 15mm they come with inkluded struds.

A Set of 30mm Eibach spacers weighs about 730g - rather underwhelming.

But again: who tells FCA/Abarth?
If you want a good looking 124Spider on OE wheels (9,8kg for the Abarth wheel), which choices do you have?

I can tell you, that many owners in Europe use spacers on their 124Spider and MX5 - and they are not dissatisfied.

This thread is about spacer on the 124spider, so let us stay to the topic.

There are enough threads about wheels.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I agree H&Rs are good too. I haven't seen IL's. For some reason the Germans are really good at making stuff out of metal.

Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was thinking of going with 20mm spacers on each rear wheel and 15mm spacers on each front wheel.

Greg, can you advise why you wouldn't ever use spacers?

Thanks,

Bertie

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I was thinking of going with 20mm spacers on each rear wheel and 15mm spacers on each front wheel.

Greg, can you advise why you wouldn't ever use spacers?

Thanks,

Bertie
It's not so much that I wouldn't ever use them. I just try to avoid it for several reasons. Spacing the wheels out changes the scrub radius which effect steering and adds bump steer (unless the wheels have less offset to counter it). It often reduces the amount of tire you can fit because the outer fender is normally the limitation you hit before the inner. Assuming the wheel offset it the same it adds stress on the wheel bearings.

My biggest issue, is the way I see the cheaper spacers often used. It's critical that you used longer wheel bolts or longer studs and retain the hubcentric feature of the factory and better aftermaket wheels. Often, people who use spacers don't do this.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Looks good...but that's a bloody big change.

·
Registered
449 Posts
front 2x15mm and rear 2x20mm
I think, the picture shows what is easily possible in the stock fenders.
If there were a nice 8x17 ET40 wheel, I would prefer them over the spacers.

I really like the OE Lusso wheels. They fit to the classy look perfectly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts