Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from my confusingly vague previous post about headlamp upgrades , here’s another one:
Has anyone looked at 3D printing a set of cup holders?
I imagine someone has?
I am looking at this option as a cheaper alternative to the ones on Ebay and elsewhere, and will inform the forum if I have any success

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've been puttering with extender sleeves to make them more secure, but there are a few people here who had experimented with 3-D printing cupholders. You might want to try the new search tools...

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a 3D printer guy make me up a pair of the first ones above (from Immaginaecrea) and I would not recommend them. They look untidy and don't fit well. Worse, they only fit one side (the fittings each side are different).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been discussing the blue Abarth cup holders from scorpionx158 from thingiverse with a 3D printing company locally.
He has given me a rough quote of £20-30 fabricated in plastic suitable for automotive use.
Would anyone else be interested?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had the blue one printed in red and block. Came out very nice👍

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will try and fit them this week, I’ll keep you posted👍

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update: the cupholders fit well, they click right in the original slot ( only the passenger side and in the front holder)

the front one seems een little wobbly, I’m thinking of putting a rubber wedge in between. They are really large, so small cans won’t stay up. The abarth logo is not visible when you put it in the rear slot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I there are a lot of interesting ideas and funny forums, maybe I should try to buy a big printer and to start to produce them for selling. Recently, I found a good one on mrdepot, they usually have the best printing technique and materials. Moreover the prices are one of the best on the market, you can check and see if you find something interesting for you. So, is it a good idea to produce such kind of things for selling? And also, what documents and authorisation I need in order to start production?

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I there are a lot of interesting ideas and funny forums, maybe I should try to buy a big printer and to start to produce them for selling.
Perhaps have a peek at this thread.... :)
Cupholders - a better option

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to the site where the guy sells them from:
Shop | 12Forza

...and one last important point, the two that sit between the seat backs can not be fitted to the front console location because the size and offset arm location is different than the OEM cupholders. So if you use the front location (like I do), you need to obtain the one he makes specific to fit that location. When you place the order, ensure you note whether you have a right or left hand steering wheel vehicle as he says the build is not symetrical and he needs to make the one that fits the front for whichever side your vehicle is configured for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Perhaps have a peek at this thread.... :)
Cupholders - a better option

For anyone who's interested, here's the link to the site where the guy sells them from:
Shop | 12Forza

...and one last important point, the two that sit between the seat backs can not be fitted to the front console location because the size and offset arm location is different than the OEM cupholders. So if you use the front location (like I do), you need to obtain the one he makes specific to fit that location. When you place the order, ensure you note whether you have a right or left hand steering wheel vehicle as he says the build is not symetrical and he needs to make the one that fits the front for whichever side your vehicle is configured for.
Do we know if this link still works

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
I can't seem to load the page
It's not loading for me either. I'll do a quick check and see if he's gone back to selling them on eBay. Failing that, I'll send him an email and see what he comes back with for info. He did make a heck of a great product, so I'm hoping his business hasn't been another fatality from COVID. I'll post an update if I find anything.

Update: I just went into eBay, and he doesn't list them there anymore (hasn't for some time, after he set up his own website to sell them). But he still has a live presence on there selling some BMX stuff, so I just dropped him a message asking if he still makes the cupholders, and if so, how to reach him to place an order. I'll update this again as soon as I get a response back from him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not loading for me either. I'll do a quick check and see if he's gone back to selling them on eBay. Failing that, I'll send him an email and see what he comes back with for info. He did make a heck of a great product, so I'm hoping his business hasn't been another fatality from COVID. I'll post an update if I find anything.

Update: I just went into eBay, and he doesn't list them there anymore (hasn't for some time, after he set up his own website to sell them). But he still has a live presence on there selling some BMX stuff, so I just dropped him a message asking if he still makes the cupholders, and if so, how to reach him to place an order. I'll update this again as soon as I get a response back from him.
Absolute legend thank you

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Okay, I just got a reply from Andy (the maker and seller). The bad news is that he no longer makes or sells them. He told me he sold his Spider, and that coupled with having to deal with buyers that were trying to shaft him lead him to get out of the business. (He gave me an example of where a guy claimed the holder was defective, but after investigation disclosed that he... the driver... had a lheavy box in the passenger seat, and during a hard corner/braking manouver, it shot forward and smashed the holder... but felt that warranted a replacement). So I understand why he's lost interest in selling them.

He did this as a side gig, as he has a full time job.

It's unfortunate he's no longer making them, as his were the best holders available for our cars. I've asked him if he'd be open to licensing his product for someone else to produce and sell under some sort of royalty arrangement, but I suspect he won't be game for that. Of if he was, I don't know who'd be willing to take on the task.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the scoop. For the sake of the effort, maybe post a thread here asking if anyone has a set they'd be willing to sell to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, I just got a reply from Andy (the maker and seller). The bad news is that he no longer makes or sells them. He told me he sold his Spider, and that coupled with having to deal with buyers that were trying to shaft him lead him to get out of the business. (He gave me an example of where a guy claimed the holder was defective, but after investigation disclosed that he... the driver... had a lheavy box in the passenger seat, and during a hard corner/braking manouver, it shot forward and smashed the holder... but felt that warranted a replacement). So I understand why he's lost interest in selling them.

He did this as a side gig, as he has a full time job.

It's unfortunate he's no longer making them, as his were the best holders available for our cars. I've asked him if he'd be open to licensing his product for someone else to produce and sell under some sort of royalty arrangement, but I suspect he won't be game for that. Of if he was, I don't know who'd be willing to take on the task.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the scoop. For the sake of the effort, maybe post a thread here asking if anyone has a set they'd be willing to sell to you.
No worries thank you for your effort any ways fair play been an absolute legend anyways👌👌 love this community

·
Premium Member
1,962 Posts
Well, I got the reply this morning. He's done with the 124 Spider Community, so he has no intention of making anything else for them in any capacity. Sad that a few bad apples have to ruin a good thing for everyone else, and if not for a few folks trying to give him the shaft, we'd still have a guy producing an excellent product for us. Alas, it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts