$080 for alignment @ shop # 2
$080 for alignment @ shop # 3
$070 for mounting after tires I didn't authorize were put on the car
$310 for road force balance and alignment
$140 for dumbass Fiat alignment
$??? emotional distress
=====
$1,320

And now Fiat wants hourly rate for Alfa to look at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was curious how deep I'm into "I need new tires," so here's the tally:

$640 for Conti's
$080 for alignment @ shop # 4
$??? emotional distress
=====
$1,320

And now Fiat wants hourly rate for Alfa to look at it.
Sorry for your troubles.
I have been following your dilemma with no apparent solution in sight.
Just wondering whether the initial tire installer caused damage to your rims(s) so no amount of aligning or tire changing or suspension fix would solve the problem. Sorry to bring this up at this late stage but I do wonder. This eerily feels like the definition of Insanity (NOT YOURS!).

Best of luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Sorry for your troubles.
Just wondering whether the initial tire installer caused damage to your rims(s) so no amount of aligning or tire changing or suspension fix would solve the problem. Sorry to bring this up at this late stage but I do wonder. This eerily feels like the definition of Insanity (NOT YOURS!).

Best of luck!
It's certainly possible but when I reviewed the dash cam they literally threw it in the air, put tires on it, and parked it in the lot. I didn't see evidence it was abused but I also did not think to save the footage and it happened back in October.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry for your troubles.

Best of luck!

Yeah, this goes back to the swapping wheels/tires with another Spider and seeing if the issue transfers to the other car... wish that was a viable test that could be done in this case.

Clutch, you must be at your wits end. Stay strong man.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Buying a Mustang isn't necessarily the best solution. My neighbor bought one just a few years ago. In the first year the heater core went out, he had alignment issues, the differential went out, he had electrical problems and more. He didn't drive it hard at all, yet it was a POS. He sold it and bought a Honda Civic. The Honda has never been in the shop for repairs in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Buying a Mustang isn't necessarily the best solution. My neighbor bought one just a few years ago. In the first year the heater core went out, he had alignment issues, the differential went out, he had electrical problems and more. He didn't drive it hard at all, yet it was a POS. He sold it and bought a Honda Civic. The Honda has never been in the shop for repairs in the last 2 years.

Sounds like your friend got a Monday Mustang.

Lemons can occur with every brand, and one example is not indicative of the entire make, or model.

The Mustang doesn't really score any worse than anything else in it's segment on reliability.

... and are you seriously suggesting someone go from a 124 Spider to a Honda Civic?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
I see the argument from both sides; obviously, based on the 6 pages and 106 posts, my experience isn't normal for a 124 Spider. Similarly, the majority of Mustang owners I know are satisfied with their cars and have no issues.

Corporate has approved a 3 day rental and the dealer wants it dropped off next Monday. I am very seriously contemplating sending tires to shop # 4 and asking them to mount them before that. At this point I could get that done Friday and I'd know if it's tire related or not. I don't necessarily want to continue paying Fiat hourly (because no, they will not/"cannot" waive the diagnostic fee, despite the fact that they misdiagnosed the issue last week) to diagnose something beyond their depth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Tires are headed to shop # 4. I am so fed up with this car and this problem. Another $650 gone and now seriously betting that we won't have any snow for the rest of the year, but I've got 4x Firestone FireHawk Indy 500 tires heading their way to be mounted Thursday morning. As much as it sucks to burn that money, I also don't want to burn the money for an Alfa Romeo tech to look at this car just as 4 other shops have and still not know if it's actually the tires and I am the world's most unlucky person.

That said, if these tires do not fix the problem, I don't know what happens next. I don't know if I will follow through with Fiat looking at it or cut my losses and flip it into a Mustang GT. Truthfully, we are leaning towards the Mustang GT option right now, but I'd have to sit down and start doing some math.

Updated cost of replacing my worn OEM tires:

$640 for Conti's
$??? emotional distress
$530 for Firestone FireHawk Indy 500 tires
$??? whatever it costs for shop # 4 to put these on

=====
$1,850

I spent less on my old, broken, rusted Wrangler (that needed two clutches in a 6 day span) over the course of a year than I have trying to put tires on this car./

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Tires go on at 10 AM today (1 hour from now). If it is the tires, I'm jumping in front of traffic. If it's not, I'll probably still jump in front of traffic.

Updates to follow...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
They're driving it now. They did just show me the road force balancer readout which shows no net pull - a change from the General's, which had 2lb (which they do not think is anywhere near enough to do what it's doing).

Stand by for next update...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
man...I keep jumping on this thread and saying....to self...

"come on @Clutch_22 !!! GIVE US THE GOOD WORD!!!!"

aloha mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Seems to want to pull left under power now and right when letting off. It's less intense vs. when it went in on the General's. Difference in tire compound?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I can almost feel the car start to pull left just by giving it ~5% throttle and letting off.

Shop # 4 and I agree that the rain is making it difficult to tell if it's still happening or if the rear tires are just slipping a super small amount and the LSD is putting more power to the right rear. They want me to put some miles on it, particularly in the dry, and see if it's still happening. I agree with that statement. Although I'd like to be optimistic, I just drove it home and I have a feeling it's more than just summer tires in moderate rain :/.

$640 for Conti's
$??? emotional distress
$530 for Firestone FireHawk Indy 500 tires
$150 for mount + road force balance
$xxx whatever Fiat is going to charge me for their shop labor

=====
$2,000

Should be fun explaining to Fiat that I've put new tires on it between their last service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been following this all along. I've owned and worked on more cars than I can possibly recall. They symptoms you are describing just do not match a problem with tires. What it does sound like is a problem with the traction/stability control system. Have you tried driving it with and without the traction control system on and off and comparing the pull you describe?

Tire pull occurs under all conditions, not just under acceleration and deceleration. It would take a massive amount of loss in traction to describe your car's symptoms. I would suspect it is a problem with the traction/stability control system or the limited slip diff. Throwing different tires on it won't solve this problem.

Regarding my comments about my neighbor's Mustang - I was just sharing that any car can be a lemon. The comment about the Civic was for comparison. My Civic has 135,000 and has never been in the shop for anything but normal maintenance. For those who don't know, the Honda Civic Type R has 306 hp. It may be one of the ugliest cars I've seen, but does impress with its specs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
They symptoms you are describing just do not match a problem with tires.
I completely agree, but what couldn't be disputed was rotating the tires changed/completely inverted the direction of the pull and rotating back would undo it. And it started when tires went on. So that's where the idea came from.

Have you tried driving it with and without the traction control system on and off and comparing the pull you describe?
Yes - no difference in symptoms under normal mode, sport mode, or TCS off. Sport always feels a little bit more intense but I would expect that given how much sharper the throttle response is.

or the limited slip diff.
My vote at this point. Well, my vote is Mustang, but...

Throwing different tires on it won't solve this problem.
Now we know that for sure. I wanted a set of tires that multiple members are running with success, and ideally with no radial pull (unlike the General's which did have radial pull). So while that was a complete waste of money (hindsight!), we can now absolutely, 100% eliminate tires and radial pull. And takes care of the "you wouldn't have this problem with summer tires" theory.

Any car can be a lemon, however purchasing lemons seems to be my specialty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Been here an hour and a half now, no sign of a shuttle or a rental.

Ford dealership is calling my name...

101 - 120 of 202 Posts