Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Just picked up a RAM 1500. Covered until EOB Thursday. And now we wait...

Regardless of outcome I am doubting the long term ownership of this car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If they claim that they can't duplicate the problem, make them come with you as you drive the car. Then switch to them driving the car under the same circumstances. Duplicating and admitting there is a problem is the first step to getting it resolved.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
If they claim that they can't duplicate the problem, make them come with you as you drive the car. Then switch to them driving the car under the same circumstances. Duplicating and admitting there is a problem is the first step to getting it resolved.
Yep, I've spent the last 3 days living with it and anyone who knows a damn thing about cars should be able to feel what it's doing.

3rd gear @ 40mph, on and off the throttle, you can feel the car accelerate and pull left. Right when you let off. And really any other time if you can actually feel a car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Think I have read this being posted here but not sure. If I am driving say in 2nd gear and really jump on it hard my car will pull to the left, has done this since day one. If i drive it normal I do not feel any pull Accelerating or decelerating.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Think I have read this being posted here but not sure. If I am driving say in 2nd gear and really jump on it hard my car will pull to the left, has done this since day one. If i drive it normal I do not feel any pull Accelerating or decelerating.
If mine hadn't done this prior to 14 tires across 3 sets of tires, I'd be less concerned.

And if Fiat wants to tell me this is normal, that's fine, I'll just drop by the Ford dealer on the way out and flip it into a Mustang!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Have you asked them if it could be the diff?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not the differential. Differentials don't work that way without making obvious noises, clunks or grinding. It could possibly be a wheel bearing but a bad wheel bearing also makes a lot of noise. If you lift the car and spin the tires you'll know right away. I'd be more inclined to blame a dragging brake caliper. This also can be tested by lifting the car and spinning the wheels. Another way would be to use an infrared thermometer to check brake rotor temps after driving. If one is significantly hotter than the rest you've found your culprit. A more remote possibility is memory steer. This occurs when ball joints or tie rods are binding and the car wants to pull in the direction in which it was last steered.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not the differential. Differentials don't work that way without making obvious noises, clunks or grinding. It could possibly be a wheel bearing but a bad wheel bearing also makes a lot of noise. If you lift the car and spin the tires you'll know right away. I'd be more inclined to blame a dragging brake caliper. This also can be tested by lifting the car and spinning the wheels. Another way would be to use an infrared thermometer to check brake rotor temps after driving. If one is significantly hotter than the rest you've found your culprit. A more remote possibility is memory steer. This occurs when ball joints or tie rods are binding and the car wants to pull in the direction in which it was last steered.
Re: Not the diff: I don't notice anything of that nature. The car has always seemed like there was a very slight whine when weight was on the rear (in gear or not) matching wheel speed. I always assumed it was the output shaft of the transmission. It never seemed alarming and has done it as long as I remember. I don't recall any change. Nothing like the sounds my YJ used to make where it literally sounded like the gears were bouncing around freely in the case.

Re: Wheel bearing: Just a guess at this point. Doesn't explain why rotating or replacing tires changes the symptoms.

Re: Testing the car: We'll see what Fiat says. No word so far today and service center closes soon. Hoping they come back with an answer but if not I'll end up jacking it up and spinning tires I guess.

Re: IR thermometer: I have one and keep forgetting to use it to check. Dragging caliper does not explain why it changes when tires are rotated or replaced, however, and none of the shops have indicated uneven pad wear. I would also think it would brake unevenly.

Re: Memory steer: You're the second person to bring this up. My mechanic buddy suggested it too. He thought it was strange that the car did not seem to want to return to center as much as he'd expect if you make a sharp wheel adjustment and take your hand back off.

It's in Fiat's hands now. So help them God if they call me and say "yeah we don't feel it."

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Not the diff: I don't notice anything of that nature. The car has always seemed like there was a very slight whine when weight was on the rear (in gear or not) matching wheel speed. I always assumed it was the output shaft of the transmission. It never seemed alarming and has done it as long as I remember. I don't recall any change. Nothing like the sounds my YJ used to make where it literally sounded like the gears were bouncing around freely in the case.

Re: Wheel bearing: Just a guess at this point. Doesn't explain why rotating or replacing tires changes the symptoms.

Re: Testing the car: We'll see what Fiat says. No word so far today and service center closes soon. Hoping they come back with an answer but if not I'll end up jacking it up and spinning tires I guess.

Re: IR thermometer: I have one and keep forgetting to use it to check. Dragging caliper does not explain why it changes when tires are rotated or replaced, however, and none of the shops have indicated uneven pad wear. I would also think it would brake unevenly.

Re: Memory steer: You're the second person to bring this up. My mechanic buddy suggested it too. He thought it was strange that the car did not seem to want to return to center as much as he'd expect if you make a sharp wheel adjustment and take your hand back off.

It's in Fiat's hands now. So help them God if they call me and say "yeah we don't feel it."
If you are hearing a whine coming from the rear corresponding to wheel speed that's a sign the ring gear and pinion aren't meshing well. But even if that's the case I'm not sure how it would cause the vehicle to pull one way or the other. BTW, my dad has a YJ. I have a JK and have had the gears out of that thing multiple times now.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
If you are hearing a whine coming from the rear corresponding to wheel speed that's a sign the ring gear and pinion aren't meshing well. But even if that's the case I'm not sure how it would cause the vehicle to pull one way or the other. BTW, my dad has a YJ. I have a JK and have had the gears out of that thing multiple times now.
I don't know how a mechanical failure can explain any of this at this point honestly. I just want it fixed! Or I'll go get a snarly V8!

I miss my YJ terribly. It may have been an unreliable piece of garbage, but it was the most fun vehicle I've ever owned by a landslide.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Update 2: I called corporate and they confirmed they have not heard back from the dealership today. As of yesterday evening they returned an e-mail saying they hadn't had a chance to diagnose it yet.

As of tomorrow morning at 8am I am on the hook for the rental car and corporate will review tomorrow to see if they'll cover any more of the rental. Didn't seem to make a difference when I pointed out that it seems like they've done nothing with the car for two days and now I'm going to have to start paying for a rental because they messed up their schedule.

Fuck this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man that's rough - last time I had my car aligned i used the Goodwin race specs and it does make the throttle steer the car, but mostly only in turns. Straight line is okay. Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Update 3: Just got a voicemail, "Vehicle is good to go, service director drove and could not duplicate the pulling. It can be picked up. I would say if it gets worse then see what your options are on trading it or something."

WOW.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What color will your new Mustang be?

I'm sorry the situation has gotten to this point. Best wishes on your decision.

Steve.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Time to schedule an appointment with the service manager for him to ride with you driving the car to show the pull...then have him drive under the same circumstances to duplicate it. If that does not do the trick, take a Spider off the showroom floor for a drive and see if it also does the same thing. If it does not have the same pull, take the manager for a ride again in the new car. If it is exactly the same as your car...well, it's just the nature of the beast and time to sell it.

No manufacturer will start repairs until they can duplicate the problem. You need to get the service manager to verify that there is a problem.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
This dealer has zero 124's in stock.

I'm now taking additional time off work this morning to drive the car for the shop foreman. My guess is, because they let it sit for 36 hours, they drove it briefly on local roads with low tire pressure, which masked the pulling with the larger surface area.

He already tried to blame the tires and the fact that it tramlines on them being summer tires.

121 - 140 of 171 Posts