Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well you're closer. At least you know it wasn't the tires. I do not trust "mechanics". I've had too many of them perform improper work (bad alignments, oil filters that weren't tightened, stripped oil pan bolts, improperly tightened lug nuts, wrong belts, improper repairs, etc.).

We expect more from the factory dealerships though. They should have seen that immediately. They're supposed to know the car. But then again, my bad experiences with dealerships is why I do my own work.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Me until 3 days ago: Other people are more qualified to work on this brand new car than me

Me now: Everyone else except my roommate and myself are complete idiots and cannot be trusted with such a perfect piece of machinery

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Wait, a Fiat dealer charged you and returned your car to you when you brought it in for a very specific concern and they managed to overlook this?

@FiatCares is this a joke? How is this acceptable? Get this man his money back.
Not quite - it was brought to them with a very specific concern, they said it was the alignment without even checking the alignment, they were told it was just aligned 6 days prior by an independent shop, charged for and aligned the rear, and said it was fine.

I then took two hours off of work to meet with and drive it with the service manager who said how the car drives is normal and nothing is mechanically wrong with the car, rotated the tires, and said nothing was wrong with the car.

·
Registered
446 Posts
...I do not trust "mechanics"...We expect more from the factory dealerships ...
It seems to come down to "care", they just don't "care" enough, whereas we owners "care" about our cars, and if we are mechanically capable, will always carry out the work ourselves because we know that a a thorough and considerate job will be done

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not quite - it was brought to them with a very specific concern, they said it was the alignment without even checking the alignment, they were told it was just aligned 6 days prior by an independent shop, aligned the rear, and said it was fine.

I then took two hours off of work to drive it with the service manager who said how the car drives is normal and nothing is mechanically wrong with the car, rotated the tires, and said nothing was wrong with the car.
Sorry, so you did or did not give them any amount of United States Dollars for that pleasure?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have been doing almost all of my auto/moto work for the past 30 years because in my area, it is practically impossible to find a good mechanic. I suspect that it is the same throughout the US. It is a problem with our society and education. There is a stigma with not going to the university, and there is not enough pride in being a master mechanic. We need better apprentice schools, and good mechanics need the recognition that they deserve.
Have you ever watched "South Main Auto Repair" on YouTube? I love that guy, he has a phenomenal feel for mechanical work. Another guy I wish I had access to is DiagnoseDan (from the Netherlands) - much more "by the book" than SouthMain, but fantastic troubleshooting abilities on complex automotive problems.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
Sorry, so you did or did not give them any amount of United States Dollars for that pleasure?
Sorry - yes, they charged me for the alignment two weeks ago but no charge when they had it for 48 hours this week + service manager was riding with me or when they did the rotation after his ride along.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry - yes, they charged me for the alignment two weeks ago but no charge when they had it for 48 hours this week + service manager was riding with me or when they did the rotation after his ride along.
I'm mad and it's not even my car. Go get your money back! They should be ashamed of themselves. They've made me look like an asshole for recommending you go down that route in the first place.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
I'm mad and it's not even my car. Go get your money back! They should be ashamed of themselves. They've made me look like an asshole for recommending you go down that route in the first place.
I've already sent the pictures to my corporate contact with the @FiatCares rep. The only thing I've heard so far is "Who did you take the car to?"

Ford is really shining here...Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Mustang GT, they all look great. Their techs are cheaper, faster, and better than Fiat at diagnosing Fiat's, too!

In other news, the replacement part shipped a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Holy shit - that's wild - glad you figured it out. I know you have a bad taste, but at this point you could just buy the part from Mazda and be done with it.

The Fiat dealerships are horrible - I had one service manager at Northside Imports in Houston lead me on for months about a convertible top he didn't even order. Not sure why he'd go to the trouble of calling and leading me on that he'd done it - would have been easier and lazier to just order the parts or not follow up at all. The same dealership tried to screw me during the sale too - got the price of the car wrong repeatedly (to their advantage of course) - i have no less than 7 contracts with different random prices.

Fun car, but between the Fiat "studios" and their almost deliberate attempt to not market the car well here it's no wonder they didn't sell well. But hey - more fun, affordable, mod-able cars for us!

·
Registered
172 Posts
@Clutch_22 I'm so sorry that you had to go through this, but I'm glad you finally found the issue and are on the path to get it sorted out. I can relate. Promise you that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
Currently refreshing the tracking info every 15 minutes. Fly, little part, fly! Left CA late last night. Expecting delivery tomorrow so hopefully my roommate can install and align it tomorrow evening.

Still no word from corporate on the bent part. Also still no word from the dealer on my replacement soft top or replacement rear view mirror, despite asking for an update from them on Tuesday of last week and my corporate rep twice since Thursday (and I vaguely recall asking the corporate rep another time, too, but it seems she can't get an update from the dealer either.)

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts

YES YES YES!

when I saw the first picture I struggled to find anything wrong...not realizing there was the picture after it. I looked for a good 2-3 minutes. everything looks good. Damn what am I missing.....scrolls down... instantly!!! HOLY SH1T!!! THAT IS BENT!!!! WTF!

thats your problem. bro @Clutch_22

I amazed they could ever get an alignment to begin with. how do they NOT see that. WOW WOW WOW (SMH).

WOOT!

aloha mike

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
@Clutch_22 you need to change your avatar picture to that bent arm...lol

aloha mike

·
Registered
239 Posts
Still no word from corporate on the bent part. Also still no word from the dealer on my replacement soft top or replacement rear view mirror, despite asking for an update from them on Tuesday of last week and my corporate rep twice since Thursday (and I vaguely recall asking the corporate rep another time, too, but it seems she can't get an update from the dealer either.)
That's awful. I wouldn't begrudge anyone for bailing on the brand after they'd gone through something like this.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
hahaha awesome

aloha mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
By the way, still haven't heard from corporate since they asked who looked at the car.

Replacement part out for delivery

161 - 180 of 206 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.