Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I wrote this once upon a time:
Bought new last June

Local dealer wouldn't budge one bit... Which is weird - I walked in ready to buy a car. Whatever. I don't really like that family of dealerships, anyway. I did like driving their car - it has more pops and bangs than the one I bought.

We already own a FIAT so I called the dealer I got that from. They didn't have anything in stock and weren't super excited about dealing (they're not close by and weren't hungry to sell - certainly not for the price I wanted to pay).

I emailed a dealer that's kind of far away (a few flights or a 10 hour drive). There were a lot of red flags in the way things went down and in the end I wasn't comfortable going with them despite the fact that they were 1-2 days from handing over the keys (I had to get there first).

While talking with those folks I got a very short followup email from a dealer I'd emailed a month before. I told them the price I was getting and asked what they could do... And I drove down the next day and bought their car.

Anyway, I paid $24,300 for an Abarth with visibility.

If you wanted my great advice for saving big cash on your next car purchase it's, uh. Erm. Buy a car that people aren't looking for? Be patient? Be ready when it comes along? Do not be afraid to walk away? Don't be afraid to show a dealer another dealer's price? Have enough of your financing lined up (know your credit record, that you can get financed, have some cash on hand) and just chill -> it's better to buy when the right deal comes along than when you absolutely positively need a car the next day.
I paid $24,300 on a car with a $30,185 sticker. The insurance company just bought it from me for $23,594.80. Although this is a tiny bit disingenuous because I'm not including the sales tax in the first number and they are including it in the last one. Realistically it's more like I bought the car for $24,300 and they gave me $21,850 for it so the car cost me $2,450 for 54 months of use or $45/month. I guess I'm kind of OK with that. It makes me a bit sad and makes me think that WOW cars cost a lot of money! Dang! Could have been worse? Could definitely have been worse!

Anyway, I got a Miata on a deal. I know Miatas are ugly. But... I got a deal! I mean... How many times have you heard those words in the past year??? Anyway, sticker on a '22 GT M/T was $34,115 and I'm getting it for $30,743. I'll be driving that with snows mounted on Abarth wheels just to keep things real.

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,670 Posts
My Fiat will be 4 years old in two more months. Looking back, it turned out to be an excellent purchase decision.

The car had an MSRP of $38,000; paid $30,000 + tax and license. It came standard with a 4 year warranty. Besides the water pump, replaced twice under warranty, I haven't had any mechanical or electrical issues. I am not fond of the infotainment system, but it isn't technically broken.

WA state annual registration is pretty minimal; I pay about $50/year. The car is pretty fuel efficient. The greatest expense I've had so far has been oil changes: I bought a package of 5 pre-paid oil changes for $250, which is not too bad. Insurance is not bad either. I pay under $2,000/year for full coverage on both the Jeep and the Fiat, combined.

All in all, it has turned out to be a savvy financial move.

Knock on wood!

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... I wrote this once upon a time...
Then there are the sad, funny and irrelevant bits of the crash and new car. Now I have multiple aliases! The police spelled my name incorrectly on their report and then the dealer spelled my name incorrectly in their application... I just... It just... I can but laugh at it all.

· Registered
575 Posts
My Fiat will be 4 years old in two more months. Looking back, it turned out to be an excellent purchase decision.

The car had an MSRP of $38,000; paid $30,000 + tax and license. It came standard with a 4 year warranty. Besides the water pump, replaced twice under warranty, I haven't had any mechanical or electrical issues. I am not fond of the infotainment system, but it isn't technically broken.

WA state annual registration is pretty minimal; I pay about $50/year. The car is pretty fuel efficient. The greatest expense I've had so far has been oil changes: I bought a package of 5 pre-paid oil changes for $250, which is not too bad. Insurance is not bad either. I pay under $2,000/year for full coverage on both the Jeep and the Fiat, combined.

All in all, it has turned out to be a savvy financial move.

Knock on wood!
Wow under 2G for 2 fully insured vehicles, that must be nice.
Michigan SUCKS I pay over 2,000 a year for 3 cars EACH. My annual registration costs are around 450 - 500 for all 3
Michigan SUCKS

· Registered
1,009 Posts
So... I wrote this once upon a time:

I paid $24,300 on a car with a $30,185 sticker. The insurance company just bought it from me for $23,594.80. Although this is a tiny bit disingenuous because I'm not including the sales tax in the first number and they are including it in the last one. Realistically it's more like I bought the car for $24,300 and they gave me $21,850 for it so the car cost me $2,450 for 54 months of use or $45/month. I guess I'm kind of OK with that. It makes me a bit sad and makes me think that WOW cars cost a lot of money! Dang! Could have been worse? Could definitely have been worse!

Anyway, I got a Miata on a deal. I know Miatas are ugly. But... I got a deal! I mean... How many times have you heard those words in the past year??? Anyway, sticker on a '22 GT M/T was $34,115 and I'm getting it for $30,743. I'll be driving that with snows mounted on Abarth wheels just to keep things real.
Similar here.

24, out the door on a Classica with tech package.

I will say a Miata gives peace of mind knowing that Mazda will always support the the car. I’m not up on all of the models, but I would go stripper manual and drive the poop out of it knowing parts are plentiful.

Just wear your hat low and head down when walking to and fro in the parking lot.

Slightly off topic, and I’ve told this before, but once in a lot a guy says cool car. Another guy, getting into his mid 2000 pos says “yeah, it’s basically a Miata, a chick car”. I actually laughed out loud. I’m thinking I’m sure he’s getting a lot of action in that thing.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride.

· Registered
3,580 Posts
For the 6 1/2 years I had the Abarth 124, cost me more on Accessories then maintanance. Oil change and 2 tires. Oh yes burning gas for pleasure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts