Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be times when you wish to plug in more devices than is provided by the single 12 V socket for the 124A Spider. In my case, I have one line going to my Valentine 1 radar device. The second line powers my Garmin 3590 LMT navigation GPS. Why not use the OEM navigation system? Two reasons: I have used Garmin GPS units for over 15 years and have enjoyed their quality and functionality. Their units provide real time traffic information, and offer alternate routes when a major blockage appears in your intended route. The third line goes to a 180W Power Inverter should I need to plug in a 120V accessory.

I mounted the 4 socket power adapter on the lower center counsel near what would be a passenger's left knee. The link for this adapter is:

http://www.autozone.com/12v-products/12-volt-socket-adapter/type-s-charcoal-gray-quad-socket-power-center/969087_0_0?&searchText=AC02165606

If you also wished to purchase the 180 W power inverter, the link for this item is:

http://powerbright.com/XC180.html

Isn't doing mods a lot of fun? :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
While I commend you for the idea, what is the fuse rating on the 12V power supply through the single adapter we have available? You aren't going to exceed it with the GPS and radar detector, but the 180W inverter, factoring for efficiency, might just be too much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Our cars have 15 amp fuses. You can't overload the circuit with just the powerbright. Anything you plug into the other three sockets, will reduce what you can power with the powerbright. Your radar detector is fused at 2 amps for example, so that reduces what you can plug into the powerbright by a conservative 24 watts. The Garmin would present a similar kind of load, reducing the max the powerbright can supply by another 24 watts. So what you plug into the powerbright with the other devices plugged in, would need to require less than about 130 watts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 12 V Sockets from one.

Never mind plugging them in. Is it possible to physically fit all those devices into a 124 Spider? ;)
Haven't tried anything that required 120V yet, but all the other devices fit just fine in this small 124A Spider. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 12 V Sockets from one.

Our cars have 15 amp fuses. You can't overload the circuit with just the powerbright. Anything you plug into the other three sockets, will reduce what you can power with the powerbright. Your radar detector is fused at 2 amps for example, so that reduces what you can plug into the powerbright by a conservative 24 watts. The Garmin would present a similar kind of load, reducing the max the powerbright can supply by another 24 watts. So what you plug into the powerbright with the other devices plugged in, would need to require less than about 130 watts.
The Fiat 124A Spider has fuses that go up to 60A. The Accessory Socket has a fuse rating of 15A, and if required could be increased by a small amount. Additionally, the Type S 12 Volt Socket Adapter has a On/Off switch per socket and the other items could be turned off if you were trying to use the PowerBright which I have not used yet. Valentine 1 tells me that their detector uses .5 Amp. Your point is well taken, and total Amp loads would have to be carefully calculated. Using your calculations above, there are lots of items that could be run on 130 watts or less. The Socket Adapter has an inline 10A fuse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Fiat 124A Spider has fuses that go up to 60A. The Accessory Socket has a fuse rating of 15A, and if required could be increased by a small amount. Additionally, the Type S 12 Volt Socket Adapter has a On/Off switch per socket and the other items could be turned off if you were trying to use the PowerBright which I have not used yet. Valentine 1 tells me that their detector uses .5 Amp. Your point is well taken, and total Amp loads would have to be carefully calculated. Using your calculations above, there are lots of items that could be run on 130 watts or less. The Socket Adapter has an inline 10A fuse.
Yes, my estimates were conservative. The valentine is fused at 2 amps, so I used that value. If the socket adapter is fused at 10 Amps then the amount you can attach just to the PowerBright, with everything else turned off is only 120 Watts total.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts