Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Fiat at the dealership several times for a BSM issue they cant seem to correct (basically it wont work unless I turn the engine on, off and then on again, and then it works perfectly every time). The dealer replaced the sensors under warranty, and still doing the same thing but now I also have one long beep and 4 short beeps every time I start her up. No dashboard lights other than the airbag light for a second (which I think is normal).

I am not sure if the beeps have anything to do with the BSM work they did, or if it's coincidence. On other cars I have had, beeps upon startup might mean upcoming maintenance due or something else not critical. Anyone had this before?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
Aloha.... shot in the dark. I’ve run into a strange beep intermittently and I think it has to do with weighted items in the passenger seat. Enough weight to trigger a sensor to tell me...something!?!?
Passenger isn’t wearing a seat belt? Passenger is to light for the air bag?

It’s happens so far and few between I can’t pinpoint the why, where, how.
Again....only a guess.
Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
That IS the seat belt sequence, which your dealership should have known, ask him to check the Rear seat belts and if he goes off to do that....find a new dealer.......they do not seem to know their product at all.

Reactions: bervin08

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion; what I mean is that I only am hearing this beeping after the dealer had replaced the BSM sensors so I was wondering if it had anything to do with that. I made sure that I was buckled in and my son was buckled in BEFORE I started the car, to try and eliminate the possibility of it being a seat belt chime. But it consistently does the one long beep and 4 short ones upon startup...not as I am driving to indicate someone isn't buckled in.

And I wish I had more than 1 Fiat dealer nearby, but sadly they are becoming harder to find.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had my Fiat at the dealership several times for a BSM issue they cant seem to correct (basically it wont work unless I turn the engine on, off and then on again, and then it works perfectly every time). The dealer replaced the sensors under warranty, and still doing the same thing but now I also have one long beep and 4 short beeps every time I start her up. No dashboard lights other than the airbag light for a second (which I think is normal).

I am not sure if the beeps have anything to do with the BSM work they did, or if it's coincidence. On other cars I have had, beeps upon startup might mean upcoming maintenance due or something else not critical. Anyone had this before?
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
FiatCares

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Sorry for the confusion; what I mean is that I only am hearing this beeping after the dealer had replaced the BSM sensors so I was wondering if it had anything to do with that. I made sure that I was buckled in and my son was buckled in BEFORE I started the car, to try and eliminate the possibility of it being a seat belt chime. But it consistently does the one long beep and 4 short ones upon startup...not as I am driving to indicate someone isn't buckled in.

And I wish I had more than 1 Fiat dealer nearby, but sadly they are becoming harder to find.
The only things I could find in the manuals that talks about a long warning beep (around 4 seconds) when the car is started is a) that a fob has been left in the trunk or other area of the car and the vehicle is being started with a second fob, or b) that there's a significant discrepancy in the TPMS readings for one or more of the tires. I couldn't find anything that spoke about four short beeps.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
345 Posts
Does the light of the TP
The only things I could find in the manuals that talks about a long warning beep (around 4 seconds) when the car is started is a) that a fob has been left in the trunk or other area of the car and the vehicle is being started with a second fob, or b) that there's a significant discrepancy in the TPMS readings for one or more of the tires. I couldn't find anything that spoke about four short beeps.
I was going to say that check your tire pressure. That might be the problem

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys...but it is none of those things. Trunk is closed, and if it was tire pressure related I assume the low tire pressure warning light would come on the instrument cluster.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Thanks guys...but it is none of those things. Trunk is closed, and if it was tire pressure related I assume the low tire pressure warning light would come on the instrument cluster.
You could assume, but I'd also check to confirm. Then you've ruled it out completely. Hope you mangae to get this figured out, as I'm sure the beeping must be driving you nuts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats the Parking Sensors. I changed to a bumper witthout them. Now Every ignitiion on the beep comes Four times.
unfortunatly i havent found a workaround yet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats the Parking Sensors. I changed to a bumper witthout them. Now Every ignitiion on the beep comes Four times.
unfortunatly i havent found a workaround yet
That must be it!! I checked, and my rear parking sensors indeed are not working. This was never an issue until the dealer replaced the BSM sensors in the back. Does anyone know if the parking sensors are separate from the BSM sensors?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So frustrated with Landmark Fiat in Atlanta!!! Called on Monday for them to take a look at the parking sensors, since this beeping and rear parking sensor not working only happened since they replaced the BSM sensors. Was promised they would take a look at it first thing Tues, so I dropped it off Tues morning. No response Wed, so I call. Have to explain the issue again to them. They mention they ordered parts but havent looked at it yet (ok....). I call on Thursday, and this time have to explain the issue to the technician. He says he will look at it. I call today (Friday)...they can't find anything wrong with any sensor after extensive driving (not sure why extensive driving is needed for a reverse parking sensor). Was told the svc manager will call me...he hasnt and I can't get through to him unless I drop by the dealership (a 1 hr round trip drive).

All this hassle for a [bleeping] parking sensor!! This should not be rocket science. Any suggestions how to escalate this with FCA, or get a hold of a district manager?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Have a look under the rear bumper just in case there's a cable loose/disconnected..... perhaps dislodged during the BSM fix ? Also, give each of the 4/5? parking sensors a good wash/wipe over in case of dirt trapped causing mis-read (I had this once on an MX5..... the dirt caused incorrect alarm alert). Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a look under the rear bumper just in case there's a cable loose/disconnected..... perhaps dislodged during the BSM fix ? Also, give each of the 4/5? parking sensors a good wash/wipe over in case of dirt trapped causing mis-read (I had this once on an MX5..... the dirt caused incorrect alarm alert). Good Luck.
I figured it was probably a loose cable that the dealer could quickly check out since it would have been their doing. As for dirt, do you mean on the exterior of the bumper over the sensors? I suppose it is possible but it isnt that dirty, certainly not caked in dust or dirt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts