Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks....I just couldn't let it pass without mentioning it.....Yep, 400 years ago today the "Mayflower" carrying 102 passengers and some 36 crew sailed to the USA. "The Founding Fathers" known as "The Pilgrims" a mix of Religious followers and folk seeking a new way forward for themselves packed their kit and waved goodbye to the UK.
The happy band left in September knowing that they were more than likely to hit bad weather, storms and hurricanes and indeed they did, mid voyage, cracking the mast so having to drop the sails and be left bobbing about like a cork whilst one passenger even gave birth......... 66 days after setting sail and now feeling a little green...they landed at "Massachusetts" to begin their new life. Some 35 MILLION American folk can trace their family back to those 102 people and that journey......
I will report again on the anniversary of the half Millenium.........馃槈 Cheers
ron

Registered
35 Million descendants ! Whew ! Not sure about the Mayflower, but I did have a girlfriend who came across in a canoe.........

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
35 Million descendants ! Whew ! Not sure about the Mayflower, but I did have a girlfriend who came across in a canoe.........
Hi Steve......we are not discussing your conquests here mate....what you and your girlfriend got up to in a canoe is your business.............;) Still...could have been a Kayak and that story would have been worth telling !! Cheers
ron

Registered
Hi folks....I just couldn't let it pass without mentioning it.....Yep, 400 years ago today the "Mayflower" carrying 102 passengers and some 36 crew sailed to the USA. "The Founding Fathers" known as "The Pilgrims" a mix of Religious followers and folk seeking a new way forward for themselves packed their kit and waved goodbye to the UK.
The happy band left in September knowing that they were more than likely to hit bad weather, storms and hurricanes and indeed they did, mid voyage, cracking the mast so having to drop the sails and be left bobbing about like a cork whilst one passenger even gave birth......... 66 days after setting sail and now feeling a little green...they landed at "Massachusetts" to begin their new life. Some 35 MILLION American folk can trace their family back to those 102 people and that journey......
I will report again on the anniversary of the half Millenium......... Cheers
ron
Sorry, but we'll never know how many Native Americans are unable to trace their family because of it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, but we'll never know how many Native Americans are unable to trace their family because of it.
I realise this could be an emotive subject for some folk, no harm was intended in posting it, just celebration of the fact that these very illustrious and brave people risked everything, including their lives, to try and better them......There will always be "a cause", as with the "Native Americans", and..."The Slave trade", however..that is also fact and history, we learn by our past in order to plan out and develop our future in a better way.
I see no point in tearing down statues and re writing history for future generations, but I do see the point of celebrating the wonderful and long relationship between our two countries, which without, would have put "The World Order" at risk through different rogues and rogue states...Hitler and Russia to name but two.
These Pilgrims and Founding Fathers are responsible directly for saving many lives over the last 400 years.........Cheers
ron

Reactions: PDX.124

Registered
I realise this could be an emotive subject for some folk, no harm was intended
Brexit, don't get upset.......... Sometimes it seems that there are drones poised over their laptops just waiting to instill a political bent to every post, no matter how innocent. We've seen it here in the States for four years now.

Registered
I realise this could be an emotive subject for some folk, no harm was intended in posting it, just celebration of the fact that these very illustrious and brave people risked everything, including their lives, to try and better them......There will always be "a cause", as with the "Native Americans", and..."The Slave trade", however..that is also fact and history, we learn by our past in order to plan out and develop our future in a better way.
I see no point in tearing down statues and re writing history for future generations, but I do see the point of celebrating the wonderful and long relationship between our two countries, which without, would have put "The World Order" at risk through different rogues and rogue states...Hitler and Russia to name but two.
These Pilgrims and Founding Fathers are responsible directly for saving many lives over the last 400 years.........Cheers
ron
Rest assured that I'm completely against tearing down statues, as well as erasing and politicizing history. I believe they're dangerously shortsighted actions that will cause errors of the past to be repeated. My intent wasn't to be critical of your post, but simply to acknowledge an important part of that history that's often overlooked. 鈽

Registered
The fact is, life of every form has been wandering this planet in every way possible since the dawn of life itself. Human beings seem to be the only ones where there are the recognized conquerors and the conquered. And in few places on Earth, likely due to the relatively recent history of it, is this more evident and publicized than in North America, but it is nothing new, human migration has been occurring since the first known humans left Africa and encountered, and outlived, their neanderthal cousins in Europe. Human beings are not the first to do this, nor is it likely they will be the last. We are but a blip on the timeline of life on this planet and at the rate we are going we may never be anything more than that blip.

Regardless of the skin pigmentation, we all are essentially the same. It's the clan attitude that is holding us back from being one global people.

Steve.

Registered
There is a book, Mayflower, that I read many years ago.

A very in depth account, and quite a long read, but highly recommended for any one interested in real history.

Alas, most people got their info and opinions on the subject the from what they learned in third grade.

Registered
I blame the vikings.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
The fact is, life of every form has been wandering this planet in every way possible since the dawn of life itself. Human beings seem to be the only ones where there are the recognized conquerors and the conquered. And in few places on Earth, likely due to the relatively recent history of it, is this more evident and publicized than in North America, but it is nothing new, human migration has been occurring since the first known humans left Africa and encountered, and outlived, their neanderthal cousins in Europe. Human beings are not the first to do this, nor is it likely they will be the last. We are but a blip on the timeline of life on this planet and at the rate we are going we may never be anything more than that blip.

Regardless of the skin pigmentation, we all are essentially the same. It's the clan attitude that is holding us back from being one global people.

Steve.
Conquerors like "The Roman Empire" and "Gengis Khan" had very different agenda's of course, whereas "Discoverers" like "Jean Alfonse", "Christopher Columbus", "Francis Drake" and "James Cook" were all about opening up the world and trade, just the way it was done those days that we now see as incorrect.
The "Native Americans", like the "Indigenous Australians" (Aboriginal People) got in the way of progress it seems, then were robbed of their agreed through treaty " Homelands" (reserves) so "PDX.124" reminding us all is no bad thing...just uncomfortable reading and thoughts............
Dictators are, throughout History, the most dangerous people as they purposefully seek to divide and conquer "for their own gains /position in life". Our Pilgrim Fathers may have wanted to spread their religious beliefs, as like todays religious followers but they also carried seeds, land tools and books, not tools of war and I think...in the longer term the American People are for the most part pretty easy going, right thinking, caring, sharing folk, however...every barrel has some bad apples so that utopia of being a global peoples "ain't never going to happen Steve..."Human Nature" gets in the way, greed, envy, hate, lust.........Put down the Dictators and you have "Hope" at least.......it's just recognising them for what they are that some folk find difficult and / or the strength the stand up to them............
I admire the "Climate Change" idea and seeking ways to help us all, and our future generations survive and prosper, but I will not "ever" destroy and cause chaos in attempting to get my way...............Cheers
ron

Registered
Recently discovered in the depths of the Atlantic and believed to have been pushed off the deck of the Mayflower in order to lose weight and keep afloat are the remains of a wood model resembling a fiat 124 spider abarth.....who knew the pilgrims relished freedom so much ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts