Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove almost an hour on the highway, mostly staying at around 60 mph. Here is the final result:

I don't really have a baseline to compare against but if I had to guess, I would say that the EC tune improves highway MPG by around 5-10%

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow! What kind of highway grade?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd be curious to see how a measurement from a full tank with odometer readings compares. That seems mighty high.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I found that I could get 42 - 43 mpg at speeds up to 70 mph. From San Antonio to Austin and back, was in this range each way. I know that it does not have anything to do with the EDL tune (Race+) because at that speed the engine is turning around 2000 rpms. That speed seems to be what the 1.4 litre engine is designed for, sans boost.

(See how I put that in there for our eastern Canadian members?)

·
Administrator
1,969 Posts
I'd caution people from making suggestions as to fuel economy gains from modifications or tunes. Fuel economy can be affected by a myriad of factors. In addition, the DIC-reported fuel economy is not 100% accurate (mine is typically off by 2mpg), so calculating at the pump dividing miles by gallons pumped is the only accurate way. Ideally, you'd want a complete round trip where you fill up at the starting point, drive to a location, come back, and fill back up at the same starting point, in order to reasonably quantify any fuel economy changes, provided that there are no significant changes in wind speed or driving habits/conditions on the round trip.

There are so many factors that can change fuel economy that it would take a very lengthy post to explain them all.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'd caution people from making suggestions as to fuel economy gains from modifications or tunes. Fuel economy can be affected by a myriad of factors. In addition, the DIC-reported fuel economy is not 100% accurate (mine is typically off by 2mpg), so calculating at the pump dividing miles by gallons pumped is the only accurate way. Ideally, you'd want a complete round trip where you fill up at the starting point, drive to a location, come back, and fill back up at the same starting point, in order to reasonably quantify any fuel economy changes, provided that there are no significant changes in wind speed or driving habits/conditions on the round trip.

There are so many factors that can change fuel economy that it would take a very lengthy post to explain them all.
I agree, tire diameter, tire pressure, wind speed and grade, all affect mpg. I have checked my Lusso's mpg indicator and determined that it was very accurate with the old Bridgestone tires on it. Now with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, it is slightly exaggerated over actual mpg. My mpg from San Antonio to Austin and back on the same day was all at 70 mph with no wind. It was an accurate 42+mpg.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
69 Posts
Does it really matter right now at low gas prices? Bottom line, we get awesome comparable mileage! Just drive it!

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
I wish I could take credit for this, but what you are really seeing here is Ferret's incredible restraint with his right foot. At sustained speeds Multiair can really work its magic and return some impressive numbers.

Our Euro+Drive tune really won't have any effect on fuel economy in most cases. There are some cases where it can help. For example we make some changes to some off boost parameters to make the engine more responsive, and to get the turbo spinning up a bit faster. These changes do make the engine a little more efficient, but probably not enough to really see at the gas pump. Our official stance is that Euro+Drive does not cause a decrease in fuel economy in normal driving, now of course if you put your foot down, all bets are off.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts