Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have installed the MaxPower Piggyback ECM from 500Madness on your 2017 Fiat 124 Spider or Abarth, please post your impressions and results on this thread. Dynamometer results, 0-60 results, butt dyno results, or any other impressions or hard facts are welcome.

·
Registered
615 Posts
An interesting video on their dyno set up. The Mustang is a clone of the MAHA used by many of the top European tuning houses (and BWA Automotive here in Seven Hills). Of interest to our application is that it can electrically drive the front wheels in synchronisation to the rear to simulate on-road conditions (as seen with the rear wheels of the Abarth 500's they are testing in the video), and their facility also has an rpm dependent air flow system (not just a portable fan placed in front of the radiator generating a gentle breeze like many dyno facilities do).

·
Registered
615 Posts
An impressive claim; has anyone actually held them to this? Did they honour their word?

"We guarantee that our MAXPower ECM will outperform all other ECMs on the market in power delivery, driveability, features and reliability or your money back! Order it, install it and use it for up to 30 days. If you are not 100% satisfied return it for a refund. It is that simple! Just call us first if you are not fully satisfied with the unit so we can assist you in the return process directions."

·
813 Posts
Pogea Racing does not work with Madness any longer...

Interesting claim. ;)
All I know is, that Madness has sold PogeaRacing parts for a long time.
Madness still has some left over Pogea inventory but the relationship ended some time ago. There are some plans to introduce 124 Spider and possibly Abarth 500 Pogea Racing products and tunes in the USA soon, probably by spring 2017. Auto Ricambi has sold classic Spider parts for years now and will be offering proven solutions for the new 124 Spider as well. We are not going to make any claims, just post results and people can decide from there either way.

The Auto Ricambi 2017 124 Spider is currently running a bench flashed Pogea ECU tune and it looks very promising. We currently have stock baseline dyno information as well as dyno information using a piggy back. As soon as we have final dyno numbers on the US car with the Pogea tune, I will share them on this forum. We did all of our testing on an all-wheel dyno and this should allow comparative data.

It is the same tune that is listed on the Pogea site, just for the US car. This tune is not currently being sold until we are finished with our testing and dyno runs. There is a US spec Abarth 124 Spider at Pogea headquarters as we speak. Good things are happening.

Soon, all Pogea Racing products will be available to US buyers who want more options. I will not say that the options available are not good, on the contrary. I have had direct experience with some of the tunes and products on the market and they are indeed good, we will simply offer options.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Madness still has some left over Pogea inventory but the relationship ended some time ago. There are some plans to introduce 124 Spider and possibly Abarth 500 Pogea Racing products and tunes in the USA soon, probably by spring 2017. Auto Ricambi has sold classic Spider parts for years now and will be offering proven solutions for the new 124 Spider as well. We are not going to make any claims, just post results and people can decide from there either way.

The Auto Ricambi 2017 124 Spider is currently running a bench flashed Pogea ECU tune and it looks very promising. We currently have stock baseline dyno information as well as dyno information using a piggy back. As soon as we have final dyno numbers on the US car with the Pogea tune, I will share them on this forum. We did all of our testing on an all-wheel dyno and this should allow comparative data.

It is the same tune that is listed on the Pogea site, just for the US car. This tune is not currently being sold until we are finished with our testing and dyno runs. There is a US spec Abarth 124 Spider at Pogea headquarters as we speak. Good things are happening.

Soon, all Pogea Racing products will be available to US buyers who want more options. I will not say that the options available are not good, on the contrary. I have had direct experience with some of the tunes and products on the market and they are indeed good, we will simply offer options.
Great news and more options, look forward to the final product and numbers

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one installed, no issues and performance enhancement is very noticeable.
Good linear power
Great contact experience and follow-up.
Have you dynoed your car either on a static dyno or road dyno?

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have you dynoed your car either on a static dyno or road dyno?
Not at this time, have tracked the car, going to add exhaust, intake and turbo blanket then maybe dyno.
If a flash tuner ever comes available, so a tune file can be matched to specific engine then dyno would definitely be a choice.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not at this time, have tracked the car, going to add exhaust, intake and turbo blanket then maybe dyno.
If a flash tuner ever comes available, so a tune file can be matched to specific engine then dyno would definitely be a choice.
Auterra Dyno-Scan is a very good plug-in road dyno for just over $100, if you want to go that route. It plugs into your OBDII port and a laptop or tablet using a USB plug. I have one and am planing to use it to dyno my car, as soon as I get the time. It would really be helpful to the folks on this forum to have comparable data from the same dyno software.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm really impressed by claims that the module features:

-The Cold Start Timer which allows the user to set in a pre-determined delay when the engine is first started delaying the tuning module from giving increased performance until the engine has reached a safe running temperature. It's easy enough to say well simply drive carefully until the car is adequately warmed up, but what if you're not the one that is always driving? Valets, workshop technicians, family, friends...

-The 4 user selectable power modes:

1) On / Off - Enable or disable the MAXPower ECM. With just one click, your vehicle is in factory mode. Once again, great for when you're not the one driving the vehicle.

2) ECO Mode - Slightly higher torque in the lower speed range allowing your vehicle to achieve improved fuel economy. Great for those long distance drives were fuel economy and general drivability are more important than outright performance.

3) Sport Mode - The power of your vehicle is further raised giving a noticeable increase in overall performance. Most likely the mode I'd drive in for every day use.

4) Sport Plus Mode - Power is increased to the maximum safe limit giving a big power and torque increase for use on track days or special events where the highest output from the engine is required. I'm sure others would choose this option for every day use, but in my humble opinion demanding extra performance from your vehicle isn't "free". It does increase wear and tear on a variety of drive line components, and personally I'd like to see many years of reliable service out of my car and not see it always tuned for chasing big numbers and outright maximum performance near redline (which I'm sure is not the best tune for general everyday drivability anyway).

For those who have the module, how do you find these functions work? Do the claims (and my comments) stack up to what is reality?

Interestingly, claims have been made elsewhere that the module could not adjust the boost curve. I may be mistaken but it would seem it can do this, and does so through sensing the boost pressure in congruence with fuel flow. Not being an automotive engineer I am not sure this is (or isn't) the best way of accomplishing this, but it is certainly a way.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I met with the Madness guys in Austin at a car show on Sunday, including the head guy in Austin. He would not confirm any horsepower numbers for the Fiat Spider. He did repeat the claim that it is "Designed to outperform every other module on the market." It's hard to argue that claim if you don't produce any quantification.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I met with the Madness guys in Austin at a car show on Sunday, including the head guy in Austin. He would not confirm any horsepower numbers for the Fiat Spider. He did repeat the claim that it is "Designed to outperform every other module on the market." It's hard to argue that claim if you don't produce any quantification.
I have no doubt that their product produces gains...however obviously they are not interested in defending their product...:(

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know about U.S. consumer law, but here in Australia a unit failing to deliver on that promise would entitle the purchaser to a repair, replacement, or refund (the consumer's choice of which).
The problem is that there is no legal definition of "out perform." One could argue that getting more miles per gallon with the throttle wide open, would be "out performing" a car that beat it in 0-60, 50-80, and quarter mile times. And the other claim of "up to" 30% increase could be anything from 1% to 29%, and not violate consumer law.

Don't get me wrong. I am not claiming that Madness can't live up to their claim. It's just that they have given me nothing to support it, so I would be reluctant to take a chance on it. Based on what EuroCompulsion claimed, and supported with their dyno results, I took a chance on the EDL, and I am glad that I did.>:)

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
The problem is that there is no legal definition of "out perform." One could argue that getting more miles per gallon with the throttle wide open, would be "out performing" a car that beat it in 0-60, 50-80, and quarter mile times. And the other claim of "up to" 30% increase could be anything from 1% to 29%, and not violate consumer law.

Don't get me wrong. I am not claiming that Madness can't live up to their claim. It's just that they have given me nothing to support it, so I would be reluctant to take a chance on it. Based on what EuroCompulsion claimed, and supported with their dyno results, I took a chance on the EDL, and I am glad that I did.>:)
They have been very clever about how they used their wording...to protect themselves from claims that their product did not perform up to expectations...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts