Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have received custom mirror covers from 500madness - what did the back look like? The OEM covers have a multitude of attachment points, but the 500madness covers have just one small tab that does nothing to hold anything on.

Also, there’s paint on the tab, so it makes it even less useful… I have reached out to 500madness but wanted to see if anyone else has gotten any covers from them with the same problem.

Link to covers: FIAT 124 Mirror Covers - Carbon Fiber White w/ ABARTH + Italian Flag Design

Pics below. TIA!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Per 500madness, covers need to be glued on (?). The covers are manufactured strangely so they don't mate up perfectly with the housing.

For a $400 non-refundable item I'm concerned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
.....too late to the party, but that's why some of us don't do business with certain places

I have nothing helpful to add, but glue them on?

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those of you who have received custom mirror covers from 500madness - what did the back look like? The OEM covers have a multitude of attachment points, but the 500madness covers have just one small tab that does nothing to hold anything on.

Also, there’s paint on the tab, so it makes it even less useful… I have reached out to 500madness but wanted to see if anyone else has gotten any covers from them with the same problem.

Link to covers: FIAT 124 Mirror Covers - Carbon Fiber White w/ ABARTH + Italian Flag Design

Pics below. TIA!

View attachment 86936

View attachment 86937
From their link....:

Replacement of OEM Original part

Umm, that isn't a replacement - that is the wrong part sent to you per the description.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,024 Posts
I ordered the carbon ones as well but yours looked damaged. I might be seeing them wrapped or something but mine were glossy and didn’t have the cracks all over them. Also can’t tell with yours but mine just snapped on, the tabs on the side do nothing. The middle parts hold the part on and the side one just keeps the edge flush. Mine have been on for months now no issues. Have you tried to install them yet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.....too late to the party, but that's why some of us don't do business with certain places

I have nothing helpful to add, but glue them on?
Actually that’s what they told me, so you were right on that one! Still seems odd.

From their link....:

Replacement of OEM Original part

Umm, that isn't a replacement - that is the wrong part sent to you per the description.
Correct, that’s what threw me for a loop. Why advertise is as direct replacement and not say that glueing is required? What happens if it breaks and I need to take it off?

I ordered the carbon ones as well but yours looked damaged. I might be seeing them wrapped or something but mine were glossy and didn’t have the cracks all over them. Also can’t tell with yours but mine just snapped on, the tabs on the side do nothing. The middle parts hold the part on and the side one just keeps the edge flush. Mine have been on for months now no issues. Have you tried to install them yet?
I actually don’t think the carbon is damaged, I think the inside looks like that just from the fabrication. The outside looks incredible - shiny and beautifully done. It’s just the inside that is worrisome - they’re pretty much just shells, with no internals to them at all to hold them on the housing. Strange that yours came with all the required tabs and guides and such, where this one doesn’t.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Your picture looks like it’s cracked on the fiber weave side not the matte gray side. Good that they are not. I bought the Feroce ones not sure if there is a difference. Mine just snapped into place even though it looked like there wasn’t much to hold it it is super strong somehow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your picture looks like it’s cracked on the fiber weave side not the matte gray side. Good that they are not. I bought the Feroce ones not sure if there is a difference. Mine just snapped into place even though it looked like there wasn’t much to hold it it is super strong somehow.
Huh, then maybe they weren’t formed correctly. That would make more sense actually, since nothing is going on as it should.

Glad yours are holding up well! How do you like them?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Love them! They look awesome, fit well despite me breaking one small tab off of the housing. Note don’t just rip off the covers, follow instructions found here being very careful not to break the mirror.
my car before

My car after

·
Registered
471 Posts
From what I'm seeing in your posted photos the new carbon fiber covers appear as though they are meant to "snap" or be installed over the original OE mirror covers. And that would also explain the call for using glue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love them! They look awesome, fit well despite me breaking one small tab off of the housing. Note don’t just rip off the covers, follow instructions found here being very careful not to break the mirror.
my car before View attachment 86957
My car after View attachment 86963
Looks great! The carbon fiber is definitely a good look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I'm seeing in your posted photos the new carbon fiber covers appear as though they are meant to "snap" or be installed over the original OE mirror covers. And that would also explain the call for using glue.
I would also have thought the same, but no.. They're exactly the same size and don't fit over the existing. I would have rather done it that way, since it's much easier and allows for me to access the internals of the mirror if I needed to.

Gluing the new covers means no access at all without removing the glue or breaking the covers. Seems like a weird design for sure. 500madness doesn't allow returns because this is a 'special order item', but I'm thinking that I can go through my cc company to get it resolved since their listing doesn't show anything about gluing required and does say "Replacement of OEM Original part", which is misleading and incorrect.

·
Vendor
MADNESS/SEMA 17 Abarth 124
12 Posts
I would also have thought the same, but no.. They're exactly the same size and don't fit over the existing. I would have rather done it that way, since it's much easier and allows for me to access the internals of the mirror if I needed to.

Gluing the new covers means no access at all without removing the glue or breaking the covers. Seems like a weird design for sure. 500madness doesn't allow returns because this is a 'special order item', but I'm thinking that I can go through my cc company to get it resolved since their listing doesn't show anything about gluing required and does say "Replacement of OEM Original part", which is misleading and incorrect.
Hey Nathan. Might be easier to chat over the phone. Call me up at the CA office if you'd like, or email me directly. Contact info in my signature below.

1. These are replacements for the OEM covers. You have to remove the factory covers to install these. The end result should be a flush fit against the trim on the mirror covers. Versus an overlay, which is not a replacement of the OEM part, but fits on top of the factory covers and usually looks pretty... subpar due to gapping.

I apologize if that's not clear. We move a lot of the Koshi covers for many different vehicles, I'd say the most common right now being the Giulia, Stelvio, and F-Type. These are often preferred since the fit can be made flush. You can't make an overlay flush. And flush is the difference between "this guy ordered this on ebay" and "was this a factory option?".

2. We also directly produce these covers: Feroce Covers - 124 Spider

These re-use the factory clips, because they are made with the factory plastic covers as a base, with CF and clear laid on top. Fitment is perfect, but since it's using the factory plastic covers as a base, it may not be as flush as the Koshi setup. Great for a standard CF look, but custom designs or paint work isn't possible on those, like it is on the Koshi pieces.

3. You can use the adhesive of your choice to bond the cover to the inner skeleton of the mirror. That'll determine how permanent the install is. If you're using JB weld, it'll be more of a challenge to remove. You'll probably break something. If you're using something like DAP Silicone Indoor/Outdoor, it shouldn't be difficult to remove. Maybe a nylon pry tool and some dental floss. At our CA office, we use Valvoline Plio-Grip. It's somewhere in between the two in terms of holding power.

Most people aren't removing these though. Not because they're stuck in place forever - just simply because we haven't seen failures at the mirror assembly, nor people desiring to revert back to stock afterward save for the couple encounters we've had with people selling their cars and trying to resell their used CF covers after.

I don't know who you spoke to regarding installation on these, but it sounds like this last point about adhesives wasn't exactly made clear. If you can reach out to me directly with a bit more info on your order, I can look into the history and address it with the personnel who advised you.

We install at least one set of Koshi covers a week between the offices, and it's definitely more intimidating than it sounds. A little painter's tape to mask and hold the covers in place while it cures goes a long way.

·
Vendor
MADNESS/SEMA 17 Abarth 124
12 Posts
I ordered my carbon fiber feroce mirror covers and headrest covers from 500madness and they fit and look great. No problems with removal and install either.
Your headrest covers are Koshi as well. Did you use 3M or liquid adhesive?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What is the Koshi? Is that the one madness lists as their own brand or is it something new? I only saw the madness one and the one I got the Feroce.

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts
What is the Koshi? Is that the one madness lists as their own brand or is it something new? I only saw the madness one and the one I got the Feroce.
Not really sure what the difference is but mine look great too and the caps will fit just fine. All you gotta do is what Madness just recommended

·
Premium Member
2019 A124 Manual
126 Posts

Pics below. TIA!

View attachment 86936

View attachment 86937
I was just as unhappy with the fitment at first but shipping mine back overseas seemed less fun. If it helps you or anybody else considering these koshi caps I had to LIGHTLY sand the backsides of these pieces to knock down high spots of resin and carbon that prevented them from fitting flush. I used 80 and 120 grit by hand and resealed any open carbon with epoxy when finished. That non aggressive painters tape is your best friend and should be used to protect the beautiful finish on the caps and car during install as well. Gluing them on sucks because I wonder if they ever might fall off on a drive or just from even closing the door! To combat that concern I can't stress good adhesion enough and that mating surface needs to be clean before you stick em on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts