Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready for my first oil change on my 124 spider. Both the oil cap and the owners manual states we should use synthetic 5W 40 oil. I live in Southern California a warm temperate climate year-round and 5W 40 oil is nowhere to be found except by mail order. I'm thinking 5W 40 is recommended to cover all climate zones from the south to the north. What is the opinion out there about using 10W-40?

·
Registered
4,198 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
I second that suggestion. Great product, great support... and proper spec for the vehicle. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
Hi Bob, Please do not use 10w-40. See/Read the article "Get oil change or wait" on this forum. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro full synthetic in my car, and buy it at Advance Auto Parts (CarQuest), but have absolutely no problem with Amsoil. Contact @ExtremeRevolution as recommended above for Amsoil. Good Luck, Best, s.

·
Registered
678 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
634 Posts
+1 for the comments. The 1.4 Multiair is very oil finicky. I live in Texas and I personally use Pennzoil Platinum Euro full synthetic 5W40 as per spec. But Amsoil is also a fine product.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Personally I prefer the Pennzoil Euro Full Synthetic 5W-40, that's the oil Fiat used when designing and developing the 1.4L MultiAir. Supposedly the characteristics/properties of this oil are what Fiat has used in programing the ECU, the brains of the outfit, that control "the brick". Amsoil's a good product and it along with others meets the technical specs required, but I'll stick with the Pennzoil.
If you cannot get it locally it is always available on Amazon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Bob, Please do not use 10w-40. See/Read the article "Get oil change or wait" on this forum. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro full synthetic in my car, and buy it at Advance Auto Parts (CarQuest), but have absolutely no problem with Amsoil. Contact @ExtremeRevolution as recommended above for Amsoil. Good Luck, Best, s.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
That brings up a good point. @XtremeRevolution what are your thoughts on the signature 0w40 amsoil. I have always used signature but it’s not available in 5w40. Also I’m coming up on my second oil change and would like to order through you if it’s not too much trouble. PM me with order details if it’s an option. I will provide my info in the PM pending your response. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hi Bob.....Before you rush off and buy....Take a look at "Engine Oil Tech Talk" PAGE 5. thread through search above where, XtremeRevolution, Deyane Racing, Myself and Ameridan discuss this very subject with some great results, both for N.America and the UK. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
All spiders have Ferrari engines sort of. There made in the same factory at least. Check the sticker, it says xx% Turin Italy. Isn’t that where they make the Ferrari engines? The rest is Japan!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Does your 124 Spider have a Ferrari engine?
AGAIN ?...................Why on earth do you have to keep being so condescending, superior and rude to other members ?
Our fellow member has a concern, the lad may own a Ferrari, Helix has been discussed previously within these pages before you joined and concerns were raised regarding this particular product, but no thought from you again as to the reasoning behind a question or a subject matter, just petty remarks. I suggest that you consider fully before commenting on things you obviously know little about and have some respect for your fellow members, as they show towards you.
A good idea would be for you to remove that comment....................

Reactions: Destructo

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
just saw this post on a Ferrari chat forum:

Not surprising. Shell (owns Pennzoil) has been focusing on reducing cost for quite some time. Their old oils were better, before they reformulated to their "pure plus" GTL group 3 base oils, and any subsequent reformulations would have been made for emissions compliance or LSPI prevention (doesn't really apply to us).

Remember guys, the majors aren't concerned with making the best product they can. They're concerned with riding the finest line possible between cost savings and barely meeting the specs the oil is rated for. Expect it to be as good as the bare minimum the OEM requires, but no better. If you want a premium product, you have to look at the higher end oil companies.

I'll respond to other posts in this thread later today.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Does your 124 Spider have a Ferrari engine?
I can assure you that our engines are more sensitive to oil oxidation stability, and stress the oil more during our normal driving than most Ferrari engines will ever see in their lifetime.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,411 Posts
That brings up a good point. @XtremeRevolution what are your thoughts on the signature 0w40 amsoil. I have always used signature but it’s not available in 5w40. Also I’m coming up on my second oil change and would like to order through you if it’s not too much trouble. PM me with order details if it’s an option. I will provide my info in the PM pending your response. Thank you in advance.
He has endorsed it for his personal use at some point in another thread. I have some ready once the current rebuild and break in is complete. The higher thermal breakdown protection in the turbo is the main reason I concur with his assessment.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
471 Posts
AGAIN ?...................Why on earth do you have to keep being so condescending, superior and rude to other members ?
Our fellow member has a concern, the lad may own a Ferrari, Helix has been discussed previously within these pages before you joined and concerns were raised regarding this particular product, but no thought from you again as to the reasoning behind a question or a subject matter, just petty remarks. I suggest that you consider fully before commenting on things you obviously know little about and have some respect for your fellow members, as they show towards you.
A good idea would be for you to remove that comment....................
Really? REALLY??????
Regardless of what you yourself may think, your opinion, your expressed thought does not determine nor define fact. And the fact that someone somewhere may have a thought and/or an opinion or may actually express a viewpoint that does not perfectly align with your view of how the world should be structured definitely should not elicit or be grounds for you or anyone else to go into a Holier Than Tho rant.
I ask a question! In fact a very simple question that in reality should be responded to with a very simple answer. A YES or NO answer.
If you click on the link, referencing that Pennzoil is no longer approved by Ferrari, provided by @Bob Polselli in his post you will then find links to two, the old and the new, Pennzoil PDF spec sheets. In the old spec sheet Pennzoil is approved for use by Ferrari. In the new spec sheet Ferrari is not listed. On both spec sheets, the old and the new, Pennzoil meets or exceeds all the required Fiat and Chrysler specs. Thus a very simple question. Does your 124 Spider have a Ferrari engine? Simple question requiring nothing more than a simple answer.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Really? REALLY??????
Regardless of what you yourself may think, your opinion, your expressed thought does not determine nor define fact. And the fact that someone somewhere may have a thought and/or an opinion or may actually express a viewpoint that does not perfectly align with your view of how the world should be structured definitely should not elicit or be grounds for you or anyone else to go into a Holier Than Tho rant.
I ask a question! In fact a very simple question that in reality should be responded to with a very simple answer. A YES or NO answer.
If you click on the link, referencing that Pennzoil is no longer approved by Ferrari, provided by @Bob Polselli in his post you will then find links to two, the old and the new, Pennzoil PDF spec sheets. In the old spec sheet Pennzoil is approved for use by Ferrari. In the new spec sheet Ferrari is not listed. On both spec sheets, the old and the new, Pennzoil meets or exceeds all the required Fiat and Chrysler specs. Thus a very simple question. Does your 124 Spider have a Ferrari engine? Simple question requiring nothing more than a simple answer.
What we have and are very proud of on this Forum is respect for each other, nothing to do with opinions or rights and wrongs, your continuous attitude towards others does you no favours. Some respect for others however, will.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts