Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Only Amsoil in my two cars. I run the Euro 5w-40 in my Spider and the Signature 0w-40 in my Hemi.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What we have and are very proud of on this Forum is respect for each other, nothing to do with opinions or rights and wrongs, your continuous attitude towards others does you no favours. Some respect for others however, will.
A two way street
to be accessed by all who use the Forum.

Have a Good Day! :cool:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
All spiders have Ferrari engines sort of. There made in the same factory at least. Check the sticker, it says xx% Turin Italy. Isn’t that where they make the Ferrari engines? The rest is Japan!
Err, no. Ferrari's factory is at Maranello (province of Modena) some 300 km east of Torino. But of course Fiat and Ferrari did collaborate on the Dino 2.0 and 2.4 litre V6 engine, ex-Ferrari engineer Aurelio Lampredi designed the legendary 4 cylinder twin-cam engine fitted to the original 124 Spider, and Fiat did own Ferrari in the past. But if you want, you can put a prancing horse badge on your car, or Abarth, or whatever...

·
Registered
471 Posts
My Spider doesn't have a Ferrari engine either. (I now know that you are legitimately interested in our answers).
My Fiat has a Fiat engine.
My Fiat/Abarth 124 Spider also does not have a Ferrari engine. It in fact as @Arthur mentioned has a Fiat engine. A 1.4L MultiAir Turbocharged Fiat engine. So I for one am not going to sit up nights all in a dither because the motor oil I have chosen to use which is approved by Fiat is no longer approved by Ferrari.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Bob, Please do not use 10w-40. See/Read the article "Get oil change or wait" on this forum. I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro full synthetic in my car, and buy it at Advance Auto Parts (CarQuest), but have absolutely no problem with Amsoil. Contact @ExtremeRevolution as recommended above for Amsoil. Good Luck, Best, s.
Thanks for the suggestion I was able to find the Pennzoil platinum euro full synthetic 5W 40 at Walmart!

·
Registered
2019 124 Lusso
55 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 Euro spec 5W40. No problems at all with performance, although the car is young (little over one year). It meets the spec stated in the manual, so I'm assuming it's OK. Pennzoil Platinum would also be a good alternative; I've used both in all my cars for the last ten years or so (except the Bolt, haha...)

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
I've been using Mobil1 Euro spec 5W40. No problems at all with performance, although the car is young (little over one year). It meets the spec stated in the manual, so I'm assuming it's OK. Pennzoil Platinum would also be a good alternative; I've used both in all my cars for the last ten years or so (except the Bolt, haha...)
I have not seen Mobil 1 in 5W-40 anywhere, but would have no problem using it. So if available, there is one more good product to choose from. I use Mobil 1 0W-20 in my GMC as it meets Dexos specs. s.
Thanks for the suggestion I was able to find the Pennzoil platinum euro full synthetic 5W 40 at Walmart!
:p Beauty!!! s.

P.S.: For those who have access to and use Amsoil as recommended by @ExtremeRevolution, I have no problem. I honestly believe it is an excellent product for our cars.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Err, no. Ferrari's factory is at Maranello (province of Modena) some 300 km east of Torino. But of course Fiat and Ferrari did collaborate on the Dino 2.0 and 2.4 litre V6 engine, ex-Ferrari engineer Aurelio Lampredi designed the legendary 4 cylinder twin-cam engine fitted to the original 124 Spider, and Fiat did own Ferrari in the past. But if you want, you can put a prancing horse badge on your car, or Abarth, or whatever...
My mistake I thought I read somewhere the multiair was supposed to be fitted to the Ferrari but it wasn’t able to rev to where Ferrari felt it was acceptable. Assumed they were built in same factory.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
My mistake I thought I read somewhere the multiair was supposed to be fitted to the Ferrari but it wasn’t able to rev to where Ferrari felt it was acceptable. Assumed they were built in same factory.
Maybe you'd read something abour Aurelio Lampredi, who was the cheif engineer at Fiat for close to 30 years. His back story might have been the source of your confusion.

He did design work on Ferrari racing engines in the early 50's, then moved to Fiat later in that decade (and managed the Abarth racing division in the 70's). But he had nothing to do with the design of the 1.4 litre multiair, not did Ferrari in any regard. The only influence Ferrari might have on our vehicles is that I was told that they were involved in the sound scaping when the Record Monza exhaust was being developed for our vehicles. That may or may not be true, but if it is legit, it does make sense that the RM has a wonderful exhaust note.

Reactions: mtnghost

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been using the 5w-40 Pennzoil Platinum recommended by the mfr. and changing every 10k miles. I’m at 62,000 miles and it’s running very happily. I’m in So Cal also.
My recommendation is to stick with the specification of the Mfr.
I have also heard positive things about Amsoil as well but haven’t tried it myself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I picked up the Amsoil when I was at Carlisle car-fest. I am changing every 5,000 miles. I extract from the top. At next change will also do the Spark Plugs. I'll be at about 30K miles at that point. Also have used Liquid Moly in other cars with no issue.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
Here is what I use:
. Available from your local Fiat dealer, www.moparpartsonline.com, or, best of all, Eurocompulsion while you are ordering other goodies! I am sure there are other reliable sources also. Mopar PN MO-241. My reasons for using OEM are several, including this is no place to cheap out. (Note: I have no particular problem with WIX in general . . . however . . ). True story, over the past two years I have had two instances of customers cars stalling when decelerating to a stop. Replacing the aftermarket oil filter (not a WIX in either instance) with an OEM filter resolved both cases. The reason? Losing oil pressure (proven by monitoring a mechanical oil pressure gauge taped to the windshield while driving). An intermittent condition, totally unpredictable when it would happen. Replace the filter - problem solved! Years ago I wondered about aftermarket filter quality vs. OEM, so I cut open an AC (GM) filter to expose it's internals, and did the same with several aftermarket filters of various brands. All the aftermarket filters were inferior, with Fram being the best of the rest. I can't tell you the same holds true today, but it made an impression on me. That, coupled with the experience I mentioned above, has me recommending the Mopar MO-241. Happy Spidering! s.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
I have used both the above filters, they are essentially the same. Oddly enough the factory filter was super high quality! Wonder where they have those? I think I will try k&n or Mann next change, but any high quality filter will do.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have used both the above filters, they are essentially the same. Oddly enough the factory filter was super high quality! Wonder where they have those? I think I will try k&n or Mann next change, but any high quality filter will do.
"...the factory filter was super high quality ..." Isn't that exactly what we want? This is why I use OEM oil filters myself and recommend OEM oil filters. That having been said, I can accept MANN filters as a reasonable substitute - my opinion is they are also of very high quality. I believe they are an OEM manufacturer. s.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts