Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Sorry not so clear with my post. The mopar is of lower quality like the Wix.The one I pulled out was very high quality but don’t know what brand it was.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can't comment on the filter material but I can attest to the quality of the plastics used in the manufacture of cheaper filters. They can be very brittle and easily broken, especially the little tabs that clip it in. Given that these are immersed in oil (although not petro chemical based) for up to 12 months I wouldn't restrict any evaluation to the filter material alone.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts
Sorry not so clear with my post. The mopar is of lower quality like the Wix.The one I pulled out was very high quality but don’t know what brand it was.
No need to apologize, I'll never hold it against you! 😃 Just too bad you can't remember the "Best" brand - Sometimes it just sucks being human! Happy Spidering! s.

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Please, please do not go 10,000 miles between oil changes.
I can't speak for cheaper options but I can say everything I've seen from AMSOIL in oil analysis on our 5W-40 supports 10k mile intervals on these cars.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
I used Motul XCESS 5w40 on my last spider, using AMSOIL Euro 5w40 now and no complaints!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I can't speak for cheaper options but I can say everything I've seen from AMSOIL in oil analysis on our 5W-40 supports 10k mile intervals on these cars.

Is 0w40 in the signature line acceptable in this engine? I like the extra protection signature offers and there is no 5w40. Thanks

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Is 0w40 in the signature line acceptable in this engine? I like the extra protection signature offers and there is no 5w40. Thanks
Sort of. Signature series offers more protection for extended drains and some really high end additives and base oils. The 5W-40 spec is a bit cheaper since they don't have to run low-SAPS additives or extended drain additives, but you're getting 1000ppm of zinc as opposed to 800ppm with signature series. Signature series has more Moly to make up for it but the euro spec just added some to combat LSPI so you're kind of in the same place as far as protection goes. I'm still running the euro spec in my 124 Spider.

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
694 Posts

I'm thinking Amsoil is the exception, for sure. When we start getting out to 10,000 mi. between oil changes I start seeing filters coming apart, oxidized oil and buildup of gunk - the crud and debris clog up oil passages in oil control valves and CVVT actuators, etc. - I'm fairly certain these cars were not using Amsoil. Case in point, BMW went to extended oil changes out to 15k miles, using BMW oil & filters, and it caused all kinds of issues, we were taking engines apart and flushing them out and replacing expensive parts - BMW has since walked back their oil change interval recommendations. I have all kinds of respect for @ExtremeRevolution and his knowledge, so will not argue with his statement as far as Amsoil goes. But, for anything else, I stand by what I said. Regular oil changes using high quality oil and filters is cheap insurance.

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
I'm thinking Amsoil is the exception, for sure. When we start getting out to 10,000 mi. between oil changes I start seeing filters coming apart, oxidized oil and buildup of gunk - the crud and debris clog up oil passages in oil control valves and CVVT actuators, etc. - I'm fairly certain these cars were not using Amsoil. Case in point, BMW went to extended oil changes out to 15k miles, using BMW oil & filters, and it caused all kinds of issues, we were taking engines apart and flushing them out and replacing expensive parts - BMW has since walked back their oil change interval recommendations. I have all kinds of respect for @ExtremeRevolution and his knowledge, so will not argue with his statement as far as Amsoil goes. But, for anything else, I stand by what I said. Regular oil changes using high quality oil and filters is cheap insurance.
Oxidized oil, gunk, and deposits is a MAJOR red flag. We can pick that up in oil analysis long before it gets that bad. That would be hell on our valvetrain.

BMW did it because the oil quality in Europe is a lot better than we get. It's actually not the same formula.

I closed out a case study earlier this year with a tuned Ford Focus ST. I had analysis done every 3500-5000 miles on it. He auto-x raced it a few times during this run. He agreed to keep going as long as the lab said the oil was good. I got impatient and told him to change it when he got to 50,000 miles. Yes, on one change. Filter was changed halfway through with an AMSOIL 25k mile filter. On the last oil analysis, lab said oil was suitable for continued use. This was running Signature Series 5W-30.

This isn't even the longest run I've done. The longest case study was a Chevy Cruze Diesel. 100k miles on AMSOIL euro 5W-30. Filter change every 10k and half a quart topped off each time. At 100k miles, oil was suitable for continued use.

Oxidation deposits, sludge, varnish, and deposits were nonexistent in both of these engines and their filters after these run. It's examples like this that have built my confidence in AMSOIL. These were my own friends and I paid for most of those oil analysis reports.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Years ago, I'm thinking maybe 30 years back?, I had heard of commercial diesel trucks going 100,000 miles or more between oil changes using Amsoil. That is some kind of impressive!! s.

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Years ago, I'm thinking maybe 30 years back?, I had heard of commercial diesel trucks going 100,000 miles or more between oil changes using Amsoil. That is some kind of impressive!! s.
With those large sumps, you can get crazy intervals with AMSOIL. They did a case study a decade or two ago where a Mack truck went 500,000 miles on a single change, with bypass filtration. The bypass filters took most of the soot out of the oil and replacing the filters and subsequent topping off would replenish the additives enough that they could keep going. Diesels don't have the same issues with oil acidity that gasoline engines do.

Only customer I had with a semi went 68k miles with our heavy duty synthetic (not rated for extended drains) in his modified Detroit diesel. I forgot how much power he was making but he had basically maxed out the injectors. I think OEM interval on that engine was 15,000 miles. He did have bypass filtration, and it paid for itself very easily.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
My contribution...The Old and The New.....but the same filter, O Ring and tabs.......Cheers
ron

Packing materials Wood Packaging and labeling Shipping box Font Read Thread "Engine Oil Tech Talk" Page 5 especially, all oil concerns are explained fully.....Cheers

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Didn't your tests show that Amsoil lost a good deal of viscosity between oil changes.
The only time I've seen viscosity shear with AMSOIL was when fuel dilution was present, and causing that viscosity shear. Fuel dilution shears engine oil.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sort of. Signature series offers more protection for extended drains and some really high end additives and base oils. The 5W-40 spec is a bit cheaper since they don't have to run low-SAPS additives or extended drain additives, but you're getting 1000ppm of zinc as opposed to 800ppm with signature series. Signature series has more Moly to make up for it but the euro spec just added some to combat LSPI so you're kind of in the same place as far as protection goes. I'm still running the euro spec in my 124 Spider.

Thank you for the thorough response.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm ready for my first oil change on my 124 spider. Both the oil cap and the owners manual states we should use synthetic 5W 40 oil. I live in Southern California a warm temperate climate year-round and 5W 40 oil is nowhere to be found except by mail order. I'm thinking 5W 40 is recommended to cover all climate zones from the south to the north. What is the opinion out there about using 10W-40?
I have had no trouble finding it here in SoCal. AutoZone carries it.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My two cents: I’m sure a lot of oils and filters can go 10k. The trouble is, 10k would have a habit of turning into 12/15k due to the invasion (sic) of daily life. If you are driving 10, 20, 30 k a year, then it’s more likely you are going to be closer to that oil change period. The vehicle is likely getting less stop/start stress and running at a partial load for longer periods so can stand an oil change a bit longer. But you will be changing 2-3 times a year - habit will push you to fit it into your schedule.

personally, I change at around 3-4K, knowing it’s actually 4 to 6k. This is around once a year, if that (multiple vehicles means the miles is spread across them).

I buy oil and filters online: cheaper and more convenient than wading through an auto store (but I do think it’s stupid that you can get 12 quarts of oil at 2/3 the price delivered free the next day).

41 - 60 of 67 Posts