Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
My two cents: I’m sure a lot of oils and filters can go 10k. The trouble is, 10k would have a habit of turning into 12/15k due to the invasion (sic) of daily life. If you are driving 10, 20, 30 k a year, then it’s more likely you are going to be closer to that oil change period. The vehicle is likely getting less stop/start stress and running at a partial load for longer periods so can stand an oil change a bit longer. But you will be changing 2-3 times a year - habit will push you to fit it into your schedule.

personally, I change at around 3-4K, knowing it’s actually 4 to 6k. This is around once a year, if that (multiple vehicles means the miles is spread across them).

I buy oil and filters online: cheaper and more convenient than wading through an auto store (but I do think it’s stupid that you can get 12 quarts of oil at 2/3 the price delivered free the next day).
Most people do change it early. If OLM says 10k, they'll do 7k or 8k. That said, I always recommend changing it once a year. I make an exception for myself with AMSOIL signature series in our Honda Odyssey because it gets driven 2500 miles a year so I stretch it out 2 years, but my 124 Spider gets changed once a year as well which ends up being around 2200 miles.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
The spiders oil gets very dirty with relatively low usage. I will be changing the oil every five thousand max. When I drains the factory fill at twelve hundred miles the oil was really dark and has some fuel smell to it. I just wouldn’t risk it, even with amsoil and a high quality filter the oil change is the least expensive thing you can do for your car.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
1000 miles a year in my Spider over 3 years and 3 x oil and filter changes. Moving from Mobil 1 5w-30. which has been my oil of choices since the 1980's to Mobil 1 0w-40 after reading and participating in "Engine Oil Tech Talk" page 5.
Having discovered "The Brick" and how the "Sensors" part of the variable valve timing of the MultiAir engine unit have a habit of "easily" clogging "IF" the Spider owner neglects his MultiAir engine regular "quality" correct synthetic oil and filter change ......No way am I, even with 55+ years engineering experience going to get caught out for the sake of spending a little extra on quality materials and a half hour of my time.
The time bit was a plug for investing in a quality air / hand pump operated oil extraction tool....no scrambling under the Spider, especially a lowered one, extraction of oil through the dipstick within 5 minutes whilst you have a mug of tea (coffee) and by whipping the battery out instead of undoing and reconnecting the air intake to turbo and bleeds you can change the oil filter (undo to arrow to drain down to sump) then simply work out into battery tray, fit new filter and clean engine oiled O seal (correctly to bottom of filter casing, NOT covering oil drain holes ) and refit / refill engine oil...Yep, 30 minutes all done, have a go, Even doing this on our other family owned vehicles now....Cheers
ron

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
The spiders oil gets very dirty with relatively low usage. I will be changing the oil every five thousand max. When I drains the factory fill at twelve hundred miles the oil was really dark and has some fuel smell to it. I just wouldn’t risk it, even with amsoil and a high quality filter the oil change is the least expensive thing you can do for your car.
Color or darkness of engine oil is not an indicator of serviceability.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
997 Posts
Ok that’s good to know, I don’t have an analyzer handy so I just go by how dark it gets. I figure the darkness comes from contaminants.

·
Administrator
2,069 Posts
Ok that’s good to know, I don’t have an analyzer handy so I just go by how dark it gets. I figure the darkness comes from contaminants.
Contaminants and some oxidation. Gasoline engines though don't suffer from significant contamination. In the 50,000 mile oil change interval on the focus st, we didn't measure any noteworthy levels of contamination.

It's kind of like one drop of black dye in a gallon of water. It's enough to turn the whole bottle black but it won't actually cause any harm. Diesels will turn oil black in the first 1000 miles and even those will run 10,000-15,000 mile intervals with far greater soot contamination.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AGAIN ?...................Why on earth do you have to keep being so condescending, superior and rude to other members ?
Our fellow member has a concern, the lad may own a Ferrari, Helix has been discussed previously within these pages before you joined and concerns were raised regarding this particular product, but no thought from you again as to the reasoning behind a question or a subject matter, just petty remarks. I suggest that you consider fully before commenting on things you obviously know little about and have some respect for your fellow members, as they show towards you.
A good idea would be for you to remove that comment....................
BREXIT.....Thank You

61 - 67 of 67 Posts