Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a USB Thumb Drive smaller than 64gb at a local store - and of course I needed one that day. I read that the larger the drive, the longer it can take to load so I partitioned it into 3 2-20gb partitions and put songs onto the 1st partition only.

It shows up as a FIT device - that's a little odd but I'm okay with that.

However, sometimes I'll get a message of "No playable files found," when I start the car again. This can be after parking the car for a few minutes to an hour or so (ignition off). I'm guessing the system is just re-scanning the drive and it sometimes it takes a bit longer to complete the scan?

Would getting a smaller drive, like 16, 32 or even 8gb alleviate this issue? Or is it that I need to be more patient and wait for the system to finish scanning the drive?

Larry

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
I couldn't find a USB Thumb Drive smaller than 64gb at a local store - and of course I needed one that day. I read that the larger the drive, the longer it can take to load so I partitioned it into 3 2-20gb partitions and put songs onto the 1st partition only.

It shows up as a FIT device - that's a little odd but I'm okay with that.

However, sometimes I'll get a message of "No playable files found," when I start the car again. This can be after parking the car for a few minutes to an hour or so (ignition off). I'm guessing the system is just re-scanning the drive and it sometimes it takes a bit longer to complete the scan?

Would getting a smaller drive, like 16, 32 or even 8gb alleviate this issue? Or is it that I need to be more patient and wait for the system to finish scanning the drive?

Larry
I don't want to sound ignorant, but WTH is a "fit" device?
Best Regards
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to sound ignorant, but WTH is a "fit" device?
Best Regards
Pete
I have absolutely no idea. When I formatted the drive, I called it “Music” and the partitions are Music 1, Music 2 and Music 3.

For some reason the car is identifying the thumb drive as having a different name.

When I get back to the car, I’ll get the full name displayed.

Oh and today, it started playing the music on the thumb drive from where it left off last night within a few seconds of starting the car.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would think it still tries to scan every active partition and slow it down. Try deleting the other 2 partitions that are empty. Use just one 16Gb partition and see what it does. Maybe even get a USB adapter for MicroSD cards that you could find in smaller capacities if that is an option. Cost wise, $5 on Ebay for adapter plus MicroSD card cost. USB memory sticks are so inexpensive these days so it may be cheaper if just a smaller, single partition makes it work.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
According to the manual for the Fiat Connect system we have in our cars, they only officially support FAT32 formatted USB devices, which by definition means 32GB or smaller. You may get something larger to work but it would be hit and miss. For performance, I use a bunch of 8GB Clip-it USB sticks, as they're smal in size and I can store ten of them clipped onto a business card that I keep in the console caddy behind the hand brake. 8GB can store a LOT of tunes, and a 3 pack of them is about $20 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-8GB-Clip-Flash-Drive/dp/B00NJG6K0G/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=clip+it+USB&qid=1566614733&s=gateway&sr=8-3

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 64GB USB stick which is identified as Cruz Fit. It has one big partition and I never had a problem with it. I had it in Mercedes previously and just moved it to Fiat.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have a 32gig and just bought a 64gig (since it was relatively cheap and physically small). Coped files to the 64gig, out of the box, and it wouldn’t see it. Put the 32gig back and it was fine. Maybe something to do with the way it’s formatted, but never bothered to investigate. The 32gig I have sticks out less than 1/4 inch, and is big enough.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes, you can in fact use 64gig USB memory devices in your Spider, you just need to make some tweaks to the device.

(NOTE/EDIT I'd previously mentioned the possible use of USB 3.0 devices. Our owner's manual states that both the base 3" and upgrade 7" radio systems do not support USB 3.0 devices, you must use only USB 2.0 memory devices. USB 2.0 works just fine for audio files in a car radio. No lags, no delays.)

Options-
1- Use 32gig or smaller USB storage devices. 32gig and smaller are formatted in the "FAT32" format, it is the programming behind the formatting, and it is the programming our car radios work with. Load it with tunes, and listen away. Done.

2- For you music hogs, go to this website to use the formatting conversion application (an executable file you'll download) to convert the 64gig device formatting to the FAT32 format. YES, you will still have full use of all 64gigs, you'll just be telling the 64gig device to think and work like a 32gig (and smaller) device. This works beautifully, I have a 64gig Sandisc Cruzer Fit USB storage device in each of my cars and they each have in excess of 32gigs of music (around 3800 songs and growing).
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
At this link, follow the instructions to click on the image of the "FAT32 Format" command box, DO NOT CLICK ON THE BRIGHT GREEN "START NOW" BUTTONS! Those are for outside Google advertising links. When you click on the "FAT32 Format" command box, you'll get a window stating you are opening the "guiformat.exe" executable file, this is correct. Just follow the instructions and in a minute or 2 your 64gig memory device will be working as you hoped it would. (In the process, your memory device is going to scrubbed of any saved files. So, put those files back on your computer before this process if you don't have them saved anywhere else.)

If I recall, within those instructions you'll be following is a prompt that allows you to chose "sector size" on the memory device. The Notes section at the bottom of that link will tell you that memory drives smaller than 2tb use a 4K sector size, so choose 4K (4000) when you are prompted to make a choice.

Here is another message I wrote about this subject earlier this year.
https://www.124spider.org/threads/i-dont-have-or-want-satellite-radio-however.32878/#post-486778

From Amazon, Sandisc 64gig Cruzer Fit, seriously, it's the size of your thumbnail.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-64GB-Cruzer-Flash-Drive/dp/B07MDXBTL1/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sandisk+cruzer&qid=1566650142&s=gateway&sr=8-3
I've used several of this model drive in different gig sizes, all worked wonderfully.

Lastly, if you rip CDs for your music library, on a MS Windows operated computer I go into the rip settings and instruct it to use the MP3 music file format, and in the Audio Quality setting I choose the highest quality of 320kbps. Don't worry, you have 64gig of storage, you'll get thousands of high quality MP3's on that chip. MS Windows default is the Windows Media Audio at a much smaller file size. I learned this the hard way... I always know when I get to a WMA song, I need to turn up the volume.

(Edit- I just wrote a how-to in the Electronics subforum covering this information, requesting to the moderators it be made a sticky.
https://www.124spider.org/threads/usb-music-storage-using-64gig-and-larger-memory-devices.33869/)

I hope this helps.
Steve.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The car reports it as USB2 (the 2nd USB slot) - "Flash Drive FIT". No clue what FIT stands for.
Could "FIT" be the model name of the USB flash drive you are using? If so, this is what the radio is showing, the factory assigned name of the device. Just a thought. And that FIT name would likely all disappear following my instructions on how to change the format type of that 64gig device to the FAT32 format type.

FIT... FAT32... not to be mistaken for each other.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Yes, you can in fact use 64gig USB memory devices in your Spider, you just need to make some tweaks to the device.

(NOTE/EDIT I'd previously mentioned the possible use of USB 3.0 devices. Our owner's manual states that both the base 3" and upgrade 7" radio systems do not support USB 3.0 devices, you must use only USB 2.0 memory devices. USB 2.0 works just fine for audio files in a car radio. No lags, no delays.)

Options-
1- Use 32gig or smaller USB storage devices. 32gig and smaller are formatted in the "FAT32" format, it is the programming behind the formatting, and it is the programming our car radios work with. Load it with tunes, and listen away. Done.

2- For you music hogs, go to this website to use the formatting conversion application (an executable file you'll download) to convert the 64gig device formatting to the FAT32 format. YES, you will still have full use of all 64gigs, you'll just be telling the 64gig device to think and work like a 32gig (and smaller) device. This works beautifully, I have a 64gig Sandisc Cruzer Fit USB storage device in each of my cars and they each have in excess of 32gigs of music (around 3800 songs and growing).
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
At this link, follow the instructions to click on the image of the "FAT32 Format" command box, DO NOT CLICK ON THE BRIGHT GREEN "START NOW" BUTTONS! Those are for outside Google advertising links. When you click on the "FAT32 Format" command box, you'll get a window stating you are opening the "guiformat.exe" executable file, this is correct. Just follow the instructions and in a minute or 2 your 64gig memory device will be working as you hoped it would. (In the process, your memory device is going to scrubbed of any saved files. So, put those files back on your computer before this process if you don't have them saved anywhere else.)

If I recall, within those instructions you'll be following is a prompt that allows you to chose "sector size" on the memory device. The Notes section at the bottom of that link will tell you that memory drives smaller than 2tb use a 4K sector size, so choose 4K (4000) when you are prompted to make a choice.

Here is another message I wrote about this subject earlier this year.
https://www.124spider.org/threads/i-dont-have-or-want-satellite-radio-however.32878/#post-486778

From Amazon, Sandisc 64gig Cruzer Fit, seriously, it's the size of your thumbnail.
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-64GB-Cruzer-Flash-Drive/dp/B07MDXBTL1/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sandisk+cruzer&qid=1566650142&s=gateway&sr=8-3
I've used several of this model drive in different gig sizes, all worked wonderfully.

Lastly, if you rip CDs for your music library, on a MS Windows operated computer I go into the rip settings and instruct it to use the MP3 music file format, and in the Audio Quality setting I choose the highest quality of 320kbps. Don't worry, you have 64gig of storage, you'll get thousands of high quality MP3's on that chip. MS Windows default is the Windows Media Audio at a much smaller file size. I learned this the hard way... I always know when I get to a WMA song, I need to turn up the volume.

(Edit- I just wrote a how-to in the Electronics subforum covering this information, requesting to the moderators it be made a sticky.
https://www.124spider.org/threads/usb-music-storage-using-64gig-and-larger-memory-devices.33869/)

I hope this helps.
Steve.
This is hugely great and you've just been stuck.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could "FIT" be the model name of the USB flash drive you are using? If so, this is what the radio is showing, the factory assigned name of the device. Just a thought. And that FIT name would likely all disappear following my instructions on how to change the format type of that 64gig device to the FAT32 format type.

FIT... FAT32... not to be mistaken for each other.

Steve.
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! It's a Samsung 64gb flash drive that is called a FIT Plus. I reformatted it (to have 3-20ish GB partitions) and changed the volume name as well as the individual partition names and none of them even has the letter F or T in them, so something must be hard-coded into the firmware itself(?)

While I appreciate the efforts you put in, my ((overly??) paranoid) IT background won't let me download a utility from a website where I can't verify it won't come with undocumented features. Although I found a writeup on HowToGeek that is fairly similar, it also describes how to do this with the Windows PowerShell, so that could be an option. If I still had a copy of Partition Magic, I'd happily use that since that was sort of the industry standard for years.

Also, my primary system is a Mac (I have access to a PC) and I formatted it through DiskUtil. But given the sporadic nature of when the flash drive is seen and when it's not, I'm leaning to just going with an 8 or 16gb thumb drive.

Larry

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi Larry, I can't blame you for being cautious in this day and age of internet nuisances. I was okay using that utility because it was recommended to me. So far, so good in a year of service on the 64gig chips.

Well, even a 32gig will hold over 3000 songs, and they are dirt cheap. And no format changes needed.

Happy trails!
Steve.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Larry, I can't blame you for being cautious in this day and age of internet nuisances. I was okay using that utility because it was recommended to me. So far, so good in a year of service on the 64gig chips.

Well, even a 32gig will hold over 3000 songs, and they are dirt cheap. And no format changes needed.

Happy trails!
Steve.
I'm not worried about anything the utility might do to the thumb drive. I'm more concerned about "undocumented features" included that could do something to my computer when it's run. It might not do anything at all, but it might also install something that waits for some amount of time before it starts doing undocumented things. It's not as common, but those problems are out there and cleaning up systems after the fact can be an interesting diversion.

Although I haven't been able to verify it, I think the problem with bigger drives is the order in which they're connected. If I start my car with only a 64gb drive in one of the USB slots, I'd venture to say 99% of the time, I get the "no playable files found" message. If I connect my iPhone to a USB cable before starting the car, 99% of the time, the USB drive works fine. I would need to do more testing to verify and would need other drivers to report in on how they're connecting things first, but that's what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Good point on "undocumented features". Well, those kinds of things are beyond my knowledge level, until the computer melts down... So I guess there should be the caveat of buyer beware. Check out the sources of where these programs/apps/utilities come from and then act accordingly.

How big is the internal storage of the iPhone? Larger than 32gig? And because I know nothing about the world of Apple products, do they use memory device formatting programming (if I said the right thing) that is FAT32? The iPhone may work by default if its storage device is already 32gig or smaller. But a device larger than 32gig, whether Apple-based, Windows-based, phone, thumb drive, etc., I guess I'd stand by the baseline statement that if it is larger than 32gig, it may not be recognized by the two radio variants in the 124 Spider. (And by extension, Mazdas.) I'll say that off-the-shelf USB memory "thumb drive" devices larger than 32gig are not going to work in the Spider, not without converting the formatting type to FAT32.

And a point of interest, based on my 2017 Classica with the base 3" radio system, I only have one USB port. I believe it is only the 7" radio systems that have two USB ports. However that may work into the equation.

Also, once my USB memory device is plugged into the USB port, it stays there indefinitely, until I remove it to add another couple CDs worth of music. I do not ever unplug them, even when I switch over to airwave radio.
Steve.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We use a 64GB for our playlist and it never has a problem. The first time it loaded it did take a bit of time but it has been flawless for us.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And a point of interest, based on my 2017 Classica with the base 3" radio system, I only have one USB port. I believe it is only the 7" radio systems that have two USB ports. However that may work into the equation.
I think this is the salient point - 1 vs 2 USB ports.

Also, once my USB memory device is plugged into the USB port, it stays there indefinitely, until I remove it to add another couple CDs worth of music. I do not ever unplug them, even when I switch over to airwave radio.
Steve.
It would seem a bit silly to remove the USB just because you've switched over to a non-USB source.

Larry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts